• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

17 WSM

Hattrick

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2014
Is the 17 WSM dead ? I’m looking to grab a UTV / Truck gun something cheap for small predator's. My line of thinking is a 17 will give me a lititle edge over 22lr even tho I’ve shot a lot stuff out to 150 with 22 lr.

Great little cartridge - although - the 17 HMR is probably / generally more accurate. I used mine on last years PD shoot and had a blast - shot it more than all of my centerfires combined. Was killing PD's from 50 to 250 yards. But - I saw the writing on the wall and had bought a truck load of ammo for it when I got my rifle built. Ammo is currently somewhat hard to get but Winchester did a production run a couple of months ago so there should still be some out there.

IMG_3546.jpg

Just got my 17 wsm RimX action in and ordered the 17 hmr/22 mag bolt as well. Figured when i ran out of my several thousand rounds of wsm i can swap bolts and barrel and shoot either 17hmr or 22 mags. Basically whatever i have ammo for at the time.

Any feeding issues with your setup or advice going forward with my build? Have yet to acquire barrel blanks. What grove/twist you running?

The Rim-X magazine allows you to tune it's position slightly up / down to allow for the best feeding ( it was fairly easy to set that up ). So, I 've got it feeding very smoothly. No issues feeding or extracting.

The barrel is a 9 twist. (y)

Reactions: Surdez1994
If you were fine with a 22lr you would likely really like a 17hmr.

I have/had interest in a 17wsm but with the availability of ammo it’s really a non starter.

The hmr will kill varmints out there no problem and now you can get a box for a decent price again.

I have/had interest in a 17wsm but with the availability of ammo it’s really a non starter.
Recently, I've decided to build a 17wsm RimX. It took some calling around, but I found ammo all over. Gun broker was 50cents a round for American Eagle 20gr, but a few days after I jumped on the notification list, I was able to purchase 10 cases (340 cases in stock) of 25gr Winchester from Academy sports @ 46 cents per round
My local hardware store also called a distributor and got 4 cases of Hornady 17wsm ammo for me.
Availability seems bad, but I think that the demand is just that high.

I like the 17 wsm, but would probably choose a 17 hornet or 17 hmr personally.
Unfortunately it seems like the wsm is in a downward spiral. I really hope it gets revived but wouldn’t count in it.

I like the 17 wsm, but would probably choose a 17 hornet or 17 hmr personally.
Unfortunately it seems like the wsm is in a downward spiral. I really hope it gets revived but wouldn’t count in it.
Of course the answer is to own all three, but there are no viable factory rifles in 17 hornet, it would probably be a custom build, at that point to does a person jump up to 204r?

It's the spring....gophers and praise dogs are out now. Demand WILL be high.

For the cost, I don't see the value in WSM. I can shoot 17HMR and kill 97% of the shit a truck gun needs to drop. And the majority of that can also be handled by the .22LR.

If I'm gonna get raked over the coals for rimfire, I'll just grab a .204 or .223 or .22-250 and give it the one shot go.

I’m of the opinion of skipping anything rimfire past 70-100yds due to rimfire ammo’s greater accuracy/precision variability vs. centerfire.

The 17 Hornet excels in low wind out to 300yds.

Track down a used CZ 17 Hornet or new/used Anschutz. Weihrauch also makes them, but I am unsure of their availability in the US. Also Cooper made a model too.

Regardless, after the exit of the CZ 527, finding a quality affordable 17 Hornet is sorta tough.

More info, including single-shots: