• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing $175 Borescope, any experience with ProVision?

kombayotch

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2007
I was reading this article:
http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar119.htm

Did a bit of research and they have a higher resolution model (PV-2636).

I'm wondering if anyone has tried one of these (or similar) in a 30 cal bore. I know it isn't a Hawkeye and that you only get what you pay for, blah, blah, blah... so no asinine comment please. It won't be as clear, but is it good enough to see fouling and what not? Is the added distance to the mirror enough to get a focused picture (to overcome the 3/4" minimum distance)?

Re: $175 Borescope, any experience with ProVision?

You will want to know the diameter of the snake, and the mirror.
This is very important! You will want to use the mirror, and they can be quite large in diameter.
I have a Russian borescope and while it's alright for my 308, it won't fit my 223.

Most people use Hawkeye for quite a few reasons, including quality.

I don't know a thing about that brand.

provision sucks donkey balls. i bought one from the snap on man and it lasted 2 months and only got used twice bofore it broke. i sent it off to be repairs and 5 months and $75 dollars later i got it back and i was still broken. i couldnt tell that anyhting had been done. i got the snap on man to give me a good credit back on it and not charge me the repair fee and bought a snap on boroscope like this: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...amp;dir=catalog
it cost more, but i dont regret it at all. it has saved my ass a few times. and has easily paid for itself. btw i am a mechanic not a gunsmith.

Have you tried the Snap On in your bore?

They state in the spec.: Close focus range from 0.5” to 12”

I would think focus would be a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will want to know the diameter of the snake, and the mirror.
This is very important! You will want to use the mirror, and they can be quite large in diameter.</div></div>

Clearly stated in the article...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will want to know the diameter of the snake, and the mirror.
This is very important! You will want to use the mirror, and they can be quite large in diameter.</div></div>

Clearly stated in the article... </div></div>

I would not agree with your statement.
The fact that they don't give diameter specs on many of the models at the manufacturers website leaves me wondering. The fact that the article mentions 2 different scopes at the top, and does not specify if both are that diameter, or which one is, also leaves me wondering.

I would double check before ordering.

You are smart for doing that.
I hate surprises on gear/tools, and have been surprised many times in the past. Once is too many.

It looks interesting!

I've used 2 different ones and only used it while working on cars and I'm glad I didn't pay for it, 2 co-workers did... The picture was always grainy and couldn't see crap with it.

I managed to get my hand on one of these. We ended up buying one at work...

Its very fuzzy, like looking at the image through an old closed circuit security camera. You can make out things like copper and carbon in the lands and grove, but you can't see it clearly.

The piece that allows a camera to be connected comes in next week. I'll post a few shots just to give people an idea of what the quality is. The added magnification of the camera may help a bit. The borescope has no magnification and that is part of the problem.

I have never bought a bore scope.

I use a 20 inch Nite Ize flashlight accessory

usegraphic_gun.jpg

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nite-ize-fiber-optic-adapter-for-mini-flashlights.html

With this [ optic fiber on a flashlight ] nearly all he needs to be seen in a rifle barrel, can be seen.

The fiber is pushed up the breech and the last 5" of muzzle is observed with a magnifier. That will show the quality of the factory hand lapping. It will also show if there is any Copper fouling.

The fiber is pushed in the muzzle and the breech is observed with magnifier. This will show if there is any throat erosion. This may require pulling the barrel off the action. What else were you doing for the next 5 minutes?

What else did you need a bore scope for?

Granted, it will not show if you left a burr when you drilled a gas hole.
But you don't do that.
All you do is clean barrels when dirty and replace them when no good.

Yeah, it's a "nice to have", not a "need to have"... which is why I was looking for something cheap. $700 is a lot of dough to spend just to check your cleaning procedure (for those of us not shooting benchrest).

i have for years used a locksmith bore-scope....it will do .223 and larger.....its limitation is that it is only 11"......when i do the chamber end the action got to come off the stock or the scope got to come off to get the depth....

I use a Hawkeye bore scope to check the uniformity of the neck/leade in new and old chambers, to check for carbon fouling, badly manufactured factory barrels, etc. A bore light with magnifing glass or cheap scope will not begin to accomplish this.

Do we need a bore scope, probably not unless you are in the gunsmithing business. Of course you could look at this just like we don't need a custom barrel, tactical stock, DBM, bench rest dies, aftermarket trigger, or a nice scope.