• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

175 Scenar-L Loads and Seating Jump/Jam

Wildwillalaska

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
I got a few of these to try out and was wondering now that they have been out a while if anyone has done much load development. Close to the 175 SMK or 178 Amax? The COAL and ogive is longer than the Amax in the couple guns I have measured, bullet appears to sit much further out freeing up case space.

For folks that have worked up loads, how far in or off the lands have y'all found as the sweet spot?

Thanks fellers.

Tested a few last week:

Lapua brass
Murom LR
73mm/2,875" COAL
VV N150 powder
175gr ScenarL hBN coated
24" factory Tikka barrel
Temperature around 10°C

Did only 3 shot groups as i was mainly interested in speeds i'd get but all loads were rather consistent with best being .250MOA and worst being .8MOA
Speeds were:
44,5gr @ 2539fps .4moa
45gr @ 2563fps .5
45,5gr @ 2578fps .8 probably pulled one as two are in the same hole
46gr @ 2610fps .25

I didn't go faster as in my rifle next node is around 2780 (170 lockbase N540 load) and is near or at maximum. They did shoot very consistently.

Also tested 220gr ScenarL with similar results but N150 is only able to push them 2200fps region @ 41,8gr and 74mm COAL.

In the mean time i've got RS60 (Swiss Reloader powder which is made by Nitrochemie and should be the same as RL17) so next tests will be with that powder to see if i can get more acceptable speeds out of them. Pricing is not acceptable for claimed BC so i'll probably just play with them and never really use them seriously. 208 Amax and 140 HPBT from Hornady are cheaper and should perform better in my rifle (.308 and .260 barrels).

Been using these for about 4 months:
DTA SRS .308 22" barrel 1:11
44.5g Varget
Lapua brass (full length sized/ redding bushing)
CCI BR2 primer
Jumpiing .020
My OAL measures 2.90

Almost every single projectile has weighed 174.4

Groups have been outstanding .25" at 100
Shot to 800 with great results

That's what I wanted to see.

Any idea speeds you are seeing with 44.5gr of Varget? I tried a few loads Sunday with 42.8, 43.2, 43.6 and 44.0 grains. I jumped them .010" and all formed ragged holes, but more ragged than if want to see. Bolt lift was consistent throughout, but did see some ejector shine on 44.0 grains. The later was running 2745fps average.

Want to see things tighten up, but admit trying out a new sled style bipod with improper read bag while trying to test loads not the wisest thing I've done.

Might try a little more jump for giggles, and will likely focus more between 43.5-44, want warm but do not want to trash brass prematurely.

Tested a few last week:

Lapua brass
Murom LR
73mm/2,875" COAL
VV N150 powder
175gr ScenarL hBN coated
24" factory Tikka barrel
Temperature around 10°C

Did only 3 shot groups as i was mainly interested in speeds i'd get but all loads were rather consistent with best being .250MOA and worst being .8MOA
Speeds were:
44,5gr @ 2539fps .4moa
45gr @ 2563fps .5
45,5gr @ 2578fps .8 probably pulled one as two are in the same hole
46gr @ 2610fps .25

I didn't go faster as in my rifle next node is around 2780 (170 lockbase N540 load) and is near or at maximum. They did shoot very consistently.

Also tested 220gr ScenarL with similar results but N150 is only able to push them 2200fps region @ 41,8gr and 74mm COAL.

In the mean time i've got RS60 (Swiss Reloader powder which is made by Nitrochemie and should be the same as RL17) so next tests will be with that powder to see if i can get more acceptable speeds out of them. Pricing is not acceptable for claimed BC so i'll probably just play with them and never really use them seriously. 208 Amax and 140 HPBT from Hornady are cheaper and should perform better in my rifle (.308 and .260 barrels).

RS52 is the better powder from NC as it mimics RL15 but with a more interesting pressure curve. RL17 or RC60 is usable for 175gr bullets but really the wrong powder till you step up to 208gr and above.

Shop around for the Scenar L in the EU as theycan be got far cheaer and easier than the AMAX at present.

Can you elaborate on RL15vsRL17 as from what i've read about Swiss variety :) only difference is speed 60 being slower than 50 and 52 being 50 with coating to reduce burn temperature. Anyways i tried RS60 (shot it already with 139gr scenars and blew one primer at 44.5gr with other two absolutely no pressure signs and stupid me was doing increment without chrony :) ) to have it running both .260rem and .308win as i have barrel switch system and would like to limit amount of components needed.

I might buy few more types from Swiss Reloader as price @10kg is good and Vihtavouri getting expensive per kilo and industrial 20kg packs rarer to find :).

Perhaps you have some links of other people in EU using RS and having some tests done (data are pretty poor atm as powder just became available)...