• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

175 SMK load question

JerkeeJoe

Sergeant
Banned !
Jun 5, 2006
Las Vegas
Can someone please tell me what Sierra's max load is for a 175smk over H4895? Neither of my books have data for 175s; only 168s. I've got a Sierra reloading manual on the way, but I'd like to start loading this morning. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Re: 175 SMK load question

I just got this off of Hodgdon's website:

COAL: 2.800"
Winchester Cases, 24" Barrel

Starting load 40gr 2489 fps
Max load 42.7gr 2647 fps

out of Lymans newest manual they dont have the H4895 listed but they have IMR 4895's max load at 43.5 and the suggested starting load at 39.0

H and IMR are 2 different powders, please do not use the load date from one to the other.

i wasnt, i was just giving what my manual said, i know that they are 2 completely different powders.

Thanks for the help. I didn't realize that Hodgdon had load data on their site.

Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JerkeeJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone please tell me what Sierra's max load is for a 175smk over H4895? Neither of my books have data for 175s; only 168s. I've got a Sierra reloading manual on the way, but I'd like to start loading this morning. Thanks in advance.

Joe </div></div>

Here is a copy of the Sierra load data for 308, no idea how old this is.

http://www.6mmbr.citymaker.com/f/Sierra308Win.pdf

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sierra's data is usually very conservative. I'd use the powder maker's recommendation.
</div></div>

Looks about 20% down from where I load. Definitely very conservative.

My Sierra book uses the same load data for the 180gr MK. don't know if this will help you out any.