• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

175 smk or 178 amax?

tmckay2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2009
I have been using 168 noslers in my 308 but want to do more long range shooting. Should I start out with the 175 smk or 178 amax? Anyone have experience with both? It's a Remington tactical sps AAC.

Re: 175 smk or 178 amax?

I just finished up working with both and my GA Percision Thunder Ranch seemed to perfer the Amax.

Try both and see what the rifle likes. Try the Hornady 178 BTHP as well. They have a higher BC, .530, than the other two and are accurate as well.

Get a bunch of Varget and load up.

Neither go with the 175 Nosler Custom Comp. They are much better than the Sierras not as much weight variations and the meplats are more uniform,not to mention the J4 jacket. You could always try Sierras 155 Palma they have a great BC and they have always shot great for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scoutsout</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Neither go with the 175 Nosler Custom Comp. They are much better than the Sierras not as much weight variations and the meplats are more uniform,not to mention the J4 jacket. You could always try Sierras 155 Palma they have a great BC and they have always shot great for me. </div></div>

I too prefer the Nosler Custom Comp 175 gr to the SMK. Same reasons. That said, I've worked up a load for the A-max in my 5-R Milspec and it's even more consistent than the Nosler's.

I've still had to trim the meplats on the Noslers but with the A-Max, there is almost NO variation in base to ogive measurement as well as OAL. A close look at the Boat Tail area shows that the A-Max is a lot more consistently formed.

When I shoot the last of my Noslers my choice will be strictly A-max, both 168 and 175 gr. Now if Hornady would just start packing them in cases of 1,000 like Nosler and their 168 gr C/C's.