• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

175gr Load Work Up.

Psycho-82

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2008
El Paso, Tx
After researching more of what i needed to learn i realized going to 175 instead of 168 would be best since i enjoy shooting out to 1000y. I bought some Hornady ogive comparators, case length gauges and all that other fun stuff. Since i grabbed all that stuff i decided to get some 175gr SMKs as well for my .308.

I did various measurements... from using the dummy round and loading the cartridge into the chamber with the bullet seated shallow so it gets pushed in as the round seats in the chamber. Also used the Hornady OAL case length gauge. Both times i measured i got similar measurements which were 2.190" measured to ogive. However that put the COAL to 2.770" which is .030" less then the book recommended COAL. I was concerned as ive never done this before. After playing with some fgmm 168s i realized the fgmm rounds were being seated approx .010" jammed (which was the same as the ogive measurements i got from 168s i tried). So i did that with the 175gr rounds i was loading which still made the COAL .020" less than the recommended COAL. I was afraid of the rounds blowing up in my face due to to much pressure, but after checking with some other people saying its fine i continued.

I have the Sierra reloading manual, and the Hodgdon reloading manual as far as Varget powder is concerned. The Sierra stated the load data was 36.3-41.7 min/max, and Hodgdon was 42.0-45.0 for 175gr smk... as you can see these are MAJOR differences, and again i was not sure which one to go by. So again i ask around and everyone said to go by the Hodgdon manual. Since my round was shorter than the recommended COAL i was a little unsure of the higher loads. So i decided to start at 39.5 and worked in .5gr incriments to 45.0gr. Knowing that hind site is 20/20 i wish i would have pushed them higher to 46 or maybe even 47. After doing the ladder test i found there was absolutely no pressure signs at 45.0gr which was the max i loaded to.

Today was a very nice day to go shooting. It was mostly cloudy all day long with a 2-5mph wind. I decided to do this ladder test at 500y. I loaded a few extra of the lighter rounds to ensure i was sighted in. Well that didnt go to well as the sighters all landed low. So i then went to the 168gr i had loaded to use to get on paper and they hit real high. I readjust and load the starting 175gr round which was 39.5 and fire... it hits low (damnit!), I load the next which is 40.0gr and again... low(FUCK!). The next round, 40.5gr lands about 7" low but dead on elevation wise, (for this shot the wind had picked up a little so i had to adjust for windage). The next round 41.0gr was a little higher, just as expected all the rounds a little higher then the ones before. There were absolutely no groupings except for the last 3 (44-45). As i fired these rounds the wind decided to die down slowly so youll see the rounds hit left more and more. But as you can see the top rounds are nice, which makes me wish i had loaded hotter to see which ones were better. The ones with the permanents marker were the spotters and debris from the ones that hit low.

001-1.jpg

Ill update this as i go again, probably going to start at 43.7-46.1 in .3gr incriments for the next test.

P.S. I posted this on another site as well, just wanted to see your guys take on this as well.

Re: 175gr Load Work Up.

Well here is the second set of this test to see what my X-Ray likes. Today as i was going out to shoot i thought it would be perfect as there had been NO WIND... but of course murphy had something to say about that when i got out there. Shots 1 and 2 were made unadjusted. Numbers 3, 4, and 5 were 5 clicks left. Then wind changed 180degrees and got stronger and i readjusted for windage as i was afraid it wouldnt hit paper and you get round 6 (oops to much adjustment). I check and realize then i just zero out for windage and fire rounds 7, 8, 9, and 10.

The loads are as follows:

1. 43.4
2. 43.7
3. 44.0
4. 44.3
5. 44.6
6. 44.9
7. 45.2
8. 45.5
9. 45.8
10. 46.1

(The black outs are from the previous ladder test and a spotter from this test.)
001-2-1.jpg

I decided to go above the recommended max load this time as it was smaller grain incriments compared to last time and i had more confidence that my math was right and that my rifle wasnt going to blow up. I was paying attention for any pressure signs and noticed a very slight ring mark from the ejection spring on the head of the brass on load 9. I fired off round 10 and noticed the bolt was a little sticky, not bad but noticeable... and a slightly more pronounced ring mark compared to load 9.

My opinion is that 8, 9, and 10 are the best as far as my experience tells me (which isnt much). Is this normal when doing a test to often times find the best loads close to the capacity of the case? If anyone thinks there is a better grouping please feel free to tell me your thoughts and explain how you came to your conclusion!

A few pics of the case heads... you tell me if i need to be concerned or not please!

44.6 & 44.9
011.jpg

45.2 & 45.5
010.jpg

45.8 & 46.1
009.jpg

P.S. On a brighter side i measured the 3 shots fired (8-10) and noticed they were 3.755" - 0.308" = 3.447" @ 500y! Not bad i think, but definately room for improvement.

45 grains is pretty hot for the 175s unless you're running a short barrel. I like mine at 44 grains out of a 24" barrel at 2745fps. However, my current go-to bullet is the 155 scenar over 46.5 grains of varget. Great rounnd for up to and possibly beyond 1000 yards.

Until last week, I was running RL 15 in a new-ish rifle and getting .75" moa. I had a bit of Varget and decided to try that with 45.0g under a 175 SMK. It did much better than the RL 15. I am anxious to back off the charge a skosh and see what happens.

May have to try the 155's with the Varget, also. Thanks for the load recommendation.

david

Not saying yours needs to be the same as mine but with Lapua brass, varget and 175's, 44.6 grains is where it is at in 3 of my 4 308's (26" rem varmint, fn spr 24" and 21 3/4" rock creek)

With winchester brass I add .4 grains to that for 45g. The only exeption is my 20" rem tact which for some reason does better with a few 10ths less...

What is your rifle spec's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">45 grains is pretty hot for the 175s unless you're running a short barrel. I like mine at 44 grains out of a 24" barrel at 2745fps. However, my current go-to bullet is the 155 scenar over 46.5 grains of varget. Great rounnd for up to and possibly beyond 1000 yards. </div></div>

I don't see how running a shorter barrel lets you use more powder - the chamber pressure will still be just as high I would think. Also depends on your particular rifle and the powder you're using. It could be that he has a really "slow" lot of varget as mine was maxed out at 45.

Mine are 42.5 and 44 in LC and 43 and 44.5 in win.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not saying yours needs to be the same as mine but with Lapua brass, varget and 175's, 44.6 grains is where it is at in 3 of my 4 308's (26" rem varmint, fn spr 24" and 21 3/4" rock creek)

With winchester brass I add .4 grains to that for 45g. The only exeption is my 20" rem tact which for some reason does better with a few 10ths less...

What is your rifle spec's </div></div>

Ive got a TacOps X-Ray with a 21.5" 1/10twist kreiger barrel.

drop the vargay, throw 42.5 grains of imr 4064 under them bad boys and do some real shootin, just sayin.

Looks like 45+ is getting hot, especially 45.8 and 46.1 showing cratered primers and ejector marks. Where is shot #6 on the second target board?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parkincense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like 45+ is getting hot, especially 45.8 and 46.1 showing cratered primers and ejector marks. Where is shot #6 on the second target board? </div></div>

If you look at the far right next to the black circule... just to the right of that youll see shot 6.