• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

178 AMAX and 178 BTHP

desertrat1979

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2006
Southern NV
So, my "go to" loads for my 06 has been the 178 AMAX over 58.5gr of H4350, or 59.5gr RL22. Either load gets me the same accuracy, I seat about .010 off the lands.

I picked up a box of the 178 Match BTHPs and I was curious what how much of a difference folks are seeing with this. Any preferences to jump/jam, did you see a difference with the charge weight? I was gonna start off about a grain less than the AMAX load, but Im caught up in seating length. Thanks in advance guys.

Re: 178 AMAX and 178 BTHP

I've found 178 amax's and bthp's of the same weight to sync up with respect to powder charge (44.5 varget), but I load the BTHP's closer to the lands. When I first loaded BTHP's in my Rem 700 seated to internal box mag length they wouldn't group at all. An AICS chassis and loading them to 2.21 to the ogive later and they are 1/2 moa like the Amax.

If you are already loading the Amax long then you will likely find the same load will be just as good and you'll enjoy the higher BC of the BTHP's.