• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

178 gr Amax for hunting??

bruddah

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2010
Oregon
Good or bad idea??

I've heard some say they are fine, others say they don't penetrate well and destroy a lot of meat.

Anyone here have any experience hunting with these??

Last edited:
I have had good results with 6.5 140's on deer and pigs. I have killed a pile of deer and pigs with 168 BTHP match bullets and most will tell you that is not a good hunting bullet.. If I was hunting something bigger I would consider a different bullet.

I can not atest to the 178 AMAX yet, but I shoot the 123 AMAX in my 260 to hunt with, 7 for 7 with it. 5 of 7 were DRT's the two that ran had holes about tennis ball size on exit. Little meat loss if any. I shoot behind the shoulder not through it. I will load the 168 AMAX for an 06 in the off season. I also shot 4 with 123 Scenars and they did well too. I would not hesitate to hunt with an AMAX.

There is a long thread currently being discussed about this that will answer your questions.

I have taken numerous whitetail deer with 178 out of a Rem LTR. Farthest I have shot one was in the 400 yd range. Every one thus far as done a pretty good number on the deer. Majority of all of them where heart/lung shots with golfball sized exit wounds. Never lost an animal yet with one. I personally would not hesitate and have since started shooting this load in my 300 WSM for a hunting round.

The 178amax is my go-to hunting bullet. I've dropped red deer, hogs and white tail with them.

I also shot 168 AMAX at a sheep...quatering away shot, went in in front of the hind leg and stopped inside the ram on opposite front leg, just below the skin...perfect muchroom. Sheep fell over instantly.

Here's my load data:

178AMAX
Winchester / LC brass
44.2-44.4gr Varget / 41.4 gr AR-comp / 47.5gr 2000MR
Tula Large Rifle Primer
2.80" COAL

Never chronoed the loads but shot the 2000MR load in competition...drops suggested MV of about 2700fps from a 20" barrel.

I say hunt with confidence!

If you dont like the bullets just ship them to me :)

I dropped a few Antelope with the 178 Amax 44.4 Varget Lapua wlr 2.828 ~2650 @ 4700 feet.

500Y SPS tactical 1:12 11 moa drop, DRT lung shot

250 Y neck shot, took a few steps and dropped.

The key when using highly frangible bullets is range, velocity, Sectional Density, placement. A 308 with 178 or a 7mm-08 with a 162 and you are good for various ranges. A 300 with a 168 amax at close range and you have more potential for meat damage (especially if you hit a shoulder).

I've killed many Deer with various calibers using the Amax. Most DRT and a couple went nomre then 25 yards. By brother and his buddy that I load ammo for using the 105 Amax in .243's, DRT. Too many to count...

+1 FOR 178AMAX The last three deer was killed with it. Done a great job them the most I had one run was about 50 yards small 8 point with shot down thru left should between shoulder and neck he was quartering to the right facing me.