• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 178 grain ELD-X Performance on Game?

Savageman2506

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2023
Arizona
Anybody have any feedback on the expansion and terminal performance of the 178 grain ELD-X on large game animals? How did they perform?

I've got a .308 with a 20" barrel, I'm assuming they're going ~2400 FPS (haven't chronographed yet).

Anybody have any feedback on the expansion and terminal performance of the 178 grain ELD-X on large game animals? How did they perform?

I've got a .308 with a 20" barrel, I'm assuming they're going ~2400 FPS (haven't chronographed yet).
I have shot a bunch of whitetail with that bullet in a 20" .308 at 2550fps. Most were pretty close and all but 1 passed thru. All 1 shot kills. The 1 was a near 200lb buck at 230yds quartering hard to me. I shot ahead of his shoulder and the bullet stopped in the hide at the last rib on the far side. The bullet fell out during skinning. That must be over 2' of penetration. The bullet made a nice mushroom, i cant remember what it weighed but i think I saved it. I will look around.
Maybe not exactly the info you were looking for but I have been happy with it. If you are talking about elk at distance then I don't have any data.

Last edited:
just used this bullet in a 300 wsm to take 3 aoudad one mover at 640 bang flop. One at 355 went bout 20 yards downhill. One at 530 three shots first ahead of back hips second center mass gut shot both pass throughs and third and final shot front shoulder and it dropped instantly. No wind where i was shooting from on the third one but apparently there was a significant wind moving left to right somewhere between myself and the sheep.

Reactions: aam
We shoot crop damage on whitetails. Been using the 178 ELDX in 308’s and 300’s. Shots typically 100-500 yards. I run them in my AIAT (20” 1:12 twist) and Tikka CTR (20” 1:10 twist) also in my tikka T3 alpine in 300 WM. Several other shooters run them in 308’s as well as a savage in 300 WM.

I’ve been nothing but impressed with them. Great blood trails if they run. If you hit bone or shoulder they will jack the meat up some. More so than a Sierra gameking but less than a Sierra match king which I’ve also used years ago.

I like them so much I bought another 2,000 here a couple months ago. This is a bullet I plan to stick with in the 30 calibers. We also use them in 6.5’s but haven’t seen the reliable blood trail like the slower 308’s. Lots of pin hole in and out shots with the 143 ELDX

That's great feedback guys. Hoping it will be a good do-all round for deer, elk, etc. I saw some less-than-stellar performance from the 143 on elk, but then again I didn't get to see the shot, I was called after to help with blood tracking. Sounds like the 178 does a little better.

I don't plan on shooting over 500 yards or so for hunting, and it sounds like at those distances it's doing good.

You might want to take a look at this.

Reactions: Savageman2506
Reactions: lastshot12
I had a really weird result with this bullet. Shot was 200 yards and the deer dropped in place, but the performance was bizarre. It exited the far side and the tip caught on the hair on the far side. It looks like the bullet failed to expand, flipped and exited backwards. I did not stage that shot. That is exactly how I came upon it.

Attachments

• bullet1.jpg
    bullet1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 53
  • deer1.jpg
    deer1.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 51
I had a really weird result with this bullet. Shot was 200 yards and the deer dropped in place, but the performance was bizarre. It exited the far side and the tip caught on the hair on the far side. It looks like the bullet failed to expand, flipped and exited backwards. I did not stage that shot. That is exactly how I came upon it.
wow. What an odd performance.