• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

178 HPBT Vs 175 SMK real world results

trobertson5-0

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2008
Floyd.Va.
Local gunshop just got in some of the Hornady 178 HPBT(not Amax) reloading components. Has anyone shot these bullets in comparison to the 175 SMKs? Velocity,accuracy,and drop. JBM says the 178 at equal velocity will drop less,but it's just using Hornadys factory numbers for B.C..

Anybody done a comparison apples to apples? They are alot cheaper and if they shoot as good or better it would be a win/win for me.

Thanks in advance. TJR

Re: 178 HPBT Vs 175 SMK real world results

I shoot the 178s but I havent compared them to the 175MKs yet, but would like to. Groups at 200yds.
2011-10-26-79226.jpg
SPSS178HPBT.jpg

And at 300yds, all with 47.5grs 2000MR powder, Win brass.
2011-08-26-77257.jpg

I dunno about VS the 175 SMK, but apparently Litz's numbers came in close to Hornday's published BC. I have been working on a load with them as well.

In my 30-06 they ran the same speed as the 178 Amax's but there were some obvious changes to the bullet shape when you put the 2 next to each other.

At 600yd I was consistently 7" higher on the target with the BTHP's vs. the Amax

The Amax and the SMK print virtually on top of each other at that distance going an average of 10fps apart at the muzzle.

My unscientific conclusion was that the BTHP had a better BC and with the price break you get on them, they make sense to "buy 'em cheap and stock 'em deep"

I have shot the 178BTHP out to 800 yards and they tracked perfectly to my JBM numbers using the factory BC.

As far as velocity, they are right in the same area as the AMAX or SMK.

Buy some and try them. I am betting you will like them. I load mine about .020" off the lands and use 44grns of Varget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have shot the 178BTHP out to 800 yards and they tracked perfectly to my JBM numbers using the factory BC.

As far as velocity, they are right in the same area as the AMAX or SMK.

Buy some and try them. I am betting you will like them. I load mine about .020" off the lands and use 44grns </div></div> 44 grs? Varget? 308 win? Good load for me too, a little less jump.

Yup Varget in a 308 Win. Sorry. I must have posted before finishing my thought LOL

As always though I would recommend that people start lower and work up for safety.

It looks like I am going to have to give these a try. I like the 178 AMAX so this will be a natural jump for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my 30-06 they ran the same speed as the 178 Amax's but there were some obvious changes to the bullet shape when you put the 2 next to each other.

At 600yd I was consistently 7" higher on the target with the BTHP's vs. the Amax

The Amax and the SMK print virtually on top of each other at that distance going an average of 10fps apart at the muzzle.

My unscientific conclusion was that the BTHP had a better BC and with the price break you get on them, they make sense to "buy 'em cheap and stock 'em deep"
</div></div>
Yup, 178BTHP-.530 178AMAX-.495