• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 178gr A-Max in Crusader Help

Hi Speed

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2006
Chester, S.C.
I loaded up 20 178's with 44.5gr of varget in nosler .308 cases with br2 primers. I previously found this to be the most accurate load from 41.5gr-45.3C. They averaged 3/4". I have tried to use the hornady oal tool with the comparitor to no avail. I cannot get a consistent reading after 50 tries. The 10fp does not have this problem. I loaded them to 2.809 and they are very consistant in oal and ogive measurement as well. The Bartlien barrel is 22" and 1-11.25 twist. Is it just me or am I right in saying that the rifling comes on very mildly in this barrel. The gun shoots FGMM 168 and 175's .25" center to center. I have 500 178's and really want to get them to shoot. Any suggestions. I have roughly 135 rounds through the gun IIRC. The throat should be good now.

Re: 178gr A-Max in Crusader Help

That my exact load, but with Lapua cases. I load mine to 2.885" because of the ridiculous long throat my factory barrel has.

Load 42.6 grns. H 4895 lapua brasscci large rifle primers o.l. 2.835 cosistant 1/4 in. load in the Gap crusader I had . Had George at Gap turn her into 7wsm . never looked back . Try this load I promise you,ll be impressed.

I think that the crusaders were designed for the 175's. I have one and can shoot the primers out of spent shotgun shells at 100 yds. I tried the 178's. It didn't like em at all. My recipe is 44.5 varget, 175 smk, rem 9 1/2 lrp, at 2.825" oal w/ lapua brass. Pushes them 2750. Mine also LOVES the 155 scenars. Same every thing except 45.5 grains of powder pushes em 2883. Why not 46 grains..... Lost accuracy node

When you say you cannot get consistent readings with the comparator with the 178s do you mean the ogives are varying a lot from bullet to bullet, as in inconsistent construction? You are saying that they previously shot well with that load and now they aren't? (not that .75 is bad, but...)
I'm not following I guess.
DEscribe your load workup...what increments did you use on the way up?

I am curious on what is actually inconsistent as well? Is it your measurement once you remove the oal gauge?

I can interchange 178amax with 175smk in my KMW. 45gr Varget in Win Brass. I load to 2.80 oal. Dont have a Ogive tool to measure with. I did use the hornady deal and when all was said and done, 2.80 was the number I needed. Good thing, I am running a DBM.

I know this isnt same as your Crusader, but to me it is odd that one shoots and the other doesnt for you????

I really didn't try too hard to find a load workup. Got the 175 recipe from a buddy who knows George at GAP who personally recommended that load from their testing of the Crusader. Yesterday, I shot a 2.5" group in bulleseye at 520 with 10-14 mph shifting winds. That rifle will make anybody look good though.