• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

17hmr autoloader opions?

deaddogs

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2012
Lacrosse Wisconsin
Wondering if anyone has any experience or luck with these as far as reliability, safety, or accuracy potential? Mainly wondering about the volquartsen models, or if there is any custom builders.

Haven't gotten around to trying it yet but here's an AR upper where they've got roller-locking delayed blowback: https://garrowdev.com/products/gfd-ar15-17hmr.
Simpler, straight blow-back systems are dependent on bolt weight and/or action spring tension to keep the action closed until chamber pressure drops. A locked action is the safer bet with the .17's higher pressures.

Last edited:
I had a bolt action savage .17 HMR with the bull barrel when I was younger, and that thing was an absolute tack driver with anything and everything. I was young dumb kid that knew no better and I put thousands of rounds through that gun with minimal cleaning. It was scary accurate.

definitely cool. Do you know anyone with experience with one of these? I’d like to hear some more reviews. Looking for fast follow up shots on p-dogs before my buddys can rack the bolt on their rifles ..lol

Ya. I did. Watched the videos . Read a few reviews. Seems awesome. Now where do I buy one? Lol. I see jard and Alexander arms make uppers also But I think I like the delayed gas system of the gfd the best. Just can’t find one to buy. Lol. I’ll try to call them on Monday I guess.

I hunt prairie dogs with a guy who has both an IF5 in 17 wsm and an SF1 in 17 hmr. I haven’t shot them myself but he loves them. Says they are great guns and they’re easy on the eyes as well.

I'm sure you're aware of this but, just incase you're not, stay away from the Remington 597 in 17hmr. They were notorious for blowing up, I had this happen to mine. They were discontinued and recalled 10 plus years ago. If you come across a used one for sale do not buy it!

Thanks everyone for the info .. I have voicemail in to Garrow firearms and just waiting on call back from them. I’ll keep you guys posted!

Haven't gotten around to trying it yet but here's an AR upper where they've got roller-locking delayed blowback: https://garrowdev.com/products/gfd-ar15-17hmr.
Simpler, straight blow-back systems are dependent on bolt weight and/or action spring tension to keep the action closed until chamber pressure drops. A locked action is the safer bet with the .17's higher pressures.
It looks good but they are sold out,

Also are they 1/2 x 28 threaded to put a normal 22lr suppressor on it?

Yes I believe so.. that was one of questions to them. Was wondering if spinning a can on the end would cause function issues. I see they use a regular gas block, so would a adjustable block be the answer.? Hope to hear from them soon.

Last edited:
I have a Ray-Vin .17HMR AR upper on an RRA lower that I use on prairie dogs (I shoot suppressed) that is quite accurate and reliable. Comes with 14 round mags. It's my "starter" rifle on any new dog town. It's a side charge action which I like.

Have you considered 17 Remington or 17-223? I just built a 17rem ar upper out of a shilen barrel blank. After spending a lot of money because I couldn’t find a pre made barrel, I found copper river. You can buy a ar barrel from them in 17 rem or 17-223 for 217$ right now (normally 310).

Have you considered 17 Remington or 17-223? I just built a 17rem ar upper out of a shilen barrel blank. After spending a lot of money because I couldn’t find a pre made barrel, I found copper river. You can buy a ar barrel from them in 17 rem or 17-223 for 217$ right now (normally 310).

Not really. Really just interested in rimfire at this point. I have a 204 for mid range p-dog acrobatics and a 6 creed for the longer acrobatics Thanks tho.

I had a bolt action savage .17 HMR with the bull barrel when I was younger, and that thing was an absolute tack driver with anything and everything. I was young dumb kid that knew no better and I put thousands of rounds through that gun with minimal cleaning. It was scary accurate.
Same here. Still have it, never run a patch through it. Can’t stand the trigger or ergonomics now but it started the addiction.