• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

17HMR cleaning routine

QRE23

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2008
Wa.
How often do you all clean the barrel on your 17's????

I was kinda lazy and didn't do ANY break with my new 17. I just started shooting it and never looked back for about 400rnds before I cleaned it. Then I spent about 1 1/2hrs just cleaning the powder fouling out before I could even get to the copper. Getting that first wet patch down the bore was a real pain in the ass and I'm not sure I could have got those first couple patches started without using a bore guide.

I have no complaints on accuracy which is probably why I just kept shooting it that first day out with it. These things are hell on sage rats that's for sure.

Do these little .17cal bores powder foul rather easy? I think from now on I'm going to run a patch or 2 thru the bore every 50ish rounds or so.

Re: 17HMR cleaning routine

Yes. 17hmr carbon fouls a lot. It is a dirty dirty cartridge. That said, your cleaning routine should be based on what your gun likes. I have 2. One needs cleaning after every range session to stay sharp (50 - 100 rounds). The other doesn't.

And don't worry about break-in. It is a rimfire.

Funny you mention using the correct size patches because after I had my barrel clean I tried to run a .22cal patch thru it and there was NO WAY that was happening.

I understand these are rimfire chamberings but they use a conventional copper jacketed bullet just like a centerfire so why would they be any different???

Never used a bore snake but maybe I'll buy one and take it along. Would definitely be more convenient than a cleaning rod.

Mine actually doesn't really require a whole lot of cleaning. I'll tidy it up probably about every 500 rounds. I clean it a little more often than that if using jacketed ammo.

Didn't know they made 17hmr ammo that DIDN'T have jacketed bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes. <span style="font-weight: bold">17hmr carbon fouls a lot. It is a dirty dirty cartridge.</span> That said, your cleaning routine should be based on what your gun likes. I have 2. One needs cleaning after every range session to stay sharp (50 - 100 rounds). The other doesn't.

And don't worry about break-in. It is a rimfire. </div></div>

Great info. I shot 75 rounds through mine (Marlin 917) on a clean barrel and couldn't believe how quickly it got nasty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: samson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't know they made 17hmr ammo that DIDN'T have jacketed bullets. </div></div>

Sorry I just read that. I meant to say hollow point ammo. I have no idea why, but the ballistic tips seem to last a little longer. But my 17 doesn't like them in hot weather.

I use the CCI TNT's. I was using the Winchester Vmax tips but on hot days they start to walk downward on me when the rifle heats up. But that was only down in FL. It never happened here in NY.

+1 on the boresnake, I load the tail of the boresnake with kroil is works amazing

I may have to try a boresnake. I was about to purchase a bore guide and cleaning rod for my .17s (HMR and Mach2)