• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

17HMR Pistol Info

jolofree

Captain
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2012
Sooner Nation
Coffee shop discussion recently about getting a 17HMR to shoot small vermin with.
Just something else to shoot, but with a little more zip than a .22.
I mentioned getting a 17HMR pistol and my buddies said that would Not be a good idea as there were not any reliable semi autos made and the revolver I mentioned (Taurus M17) were plagued with problems like overbored cylinders, serious timing issues & other problems.
Anyone here have any factual personal experience with this ?
I read some reviews on the M17 and some of this seems to be correct (pistols returned to Taurus and not repaired/returned for months etc).
I'm wondering if these problems have since been corrected or if I should just look for a .22mag or something else.
Thanks

Buy a 5.7 so you can reload and be done with it.

Haven’t had a chance to shoot the Ruger version, but the FN is a nice gun. I wish I would have kept mine. If you look around, there are some for sale here once in a while.

Had a S&W 647 in 17HMR, it blew the shoulders out of every round I fired and you might get through 2 cylinders without cleaning it.
Very cool gun but it went down the road.

Had a TC IN 17M2, suppressed and that was a Great Gun, foolishly sold it.

If you want the best 17 hmr pistol that would be the Anschutz 17P. I believe they were only made a few years and hard to find for a reasonable price. Here's mine.

IMG-20191228-173712.jpg

IMG-20191215-132314.jpg

Ans-17-LP-Hornady-Vmax-17-GR-12-28-19.jpg

Ans-17-LP-Fed-VMax-17-GR-12-15-19.jpg

Had a S&W 647 in 17HMR, it blew the shoulders out of every round I fired and you might get through 2 cylinders without cleaning it.
Very cool gun but it went down the road.

Had a TC IN 17M2, suppressed and that was a Great Gun, foolishly sold it.
I had a 647 too but I never had casing ruptures/splits. it was a great gun, but I sold it when I found out what I could get for it.😉

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
22tcm 1911 is another great idea. If you want a 17 pistol then look at Contender or even consider buying a left hand rifle in hmr and SBR it. That would be cool. I know guys that wanted. Savage Striker and rather than pay the big bucks they did the SBR of a lefty. Was cheaper in the end and much more usable.

I know Kimber isn’t the top of the line brand but they used to make a 17hm2 (aka 17 Mach 2 which is a 22lr necked down to 17) 1911.

Always wanted one. Out to about 125 yards my 17m2 rifles hang with my 17hmr guns.

Maybe look for one of those.

Ammo you can find when they have runs but price varies. Last year I got a bunch for $6.00/50 but the most recent was $8.50/50