• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.17WSM in the field.

orkan

Primal Rights, Inc.
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Oct 27, 2008
    South Dakota, USA
    www.primalrights.com
    Was out shooting prairie dogs and came upon this badger doing badger things in the dog town. Kneeling tripod shot at 225yds with the TS Customs 17WSM. Right in the forehead!

1x3RMgmh.jpg

I enjoy throwing on a backpack and walking the edges of the towns. Once I find a good spot, I'll setup with the sun at my back and sit in an area for a while. Eberlestock pack, Really Right Stuff tripod, some hydration, TAB Gear SAC full of ammo, Kestrel ballistics 5700X, and range finding binos.

SFb7Otlh.jpg

You couldn't slap this grin off my face if you tried.

Wr8ab76h.jpg

The Tangent Theta 315M on this rifle is the perfect tool!

KtsptNFh.jpg

sirY5xMh.jpg

-----------

I keep looking for a WSM. My buddy has the Savage B17. He has killed at least 1 hog each trip the last 3 times we went to Florida hog hunting.

I love the caliber, taken two coyotes, some jacks, and some ground squirrels with my Savage. I'd really like a nicer rifle, I was hoping Ruger would put the 77/17wsm into something other than a wood stock. Yours is amazing, and way beyond what I need, but a guy can dream.

Man thats a sweet rifle. I have two b-mags. The rifles are trash but the round is amazing. Can you pm me info on the specs of your rifle I want a real precision 17wsm.

How do you like this thing compared to an hmr? What kind of range are you realistically getting out on the prairie with it? Approaching 223 Rem territory?

HMR is totally pointless when you've got a 17WSM. I have one just like this in a TS Customs RimX... just because I'm doing various testing... but I'd sell it in a heartbeat if someone wanted it. Inside of a 150yds, the 17HMR is still fun to plink with. Though it doesn't have anywhere near the terminal performance as the 17WSM.

The 17WSM cartridge has had its reputation nearly destroyed due to garbage host rifles. That time has passed.

I'm using it with authority, in any reasonable condition, out to 250yds. That's at least a HUNDRED YARDS farther than I could effectively engage with a 17HMR in equal conditions. In calm conditions, you can thump pdogs out to 300-350 with relative ease... but it has to be quite a calm and steady wind.

Walked around a town today, just taking kneeling shots... with winds up to 12-14mph, and I killed over 60pdogs in about 2 hours at distances up to 325yds. I bet I only missed 3 times all day. It's just ridiculous how effective these rifles are.

... and before someone asks - yes I've had volquartsens, rugers (still have), franklins, savages, and all that. They just won't do anything near what these rifles will do, and there's no reason they should. They are cheap... these are not.

oGNUiRVh.jpg

IEh0laKh.jpg

AdVvgJ1h.jpg

RfWt7fAh.jpg

That TAB Gear SAC hanging from the RRS tripod easily carries about 500rnds of loose 17WSM... and you'd be astonished how quickly you go through it. SO SO many dead pdogs every time I go out with it. I put over 3,800rnds on one barrel, and I never cleaned it... and it holds 3/4MOA easily with all but the very worst lot numbers and will still do half MOA with the good lots. Absolute murder machine. I have no idea how many pdogs, skunks, badgers, racoons, and other vermin that rifle in the picture has dispatched. 20gr .17cal bullet at 3000fps from the 20" threaded barrels on these. It's just an extremely impressive combo that doesn't need to be loaded for, and before the panic I was buying 50rnds for $12 all day long. Luckily I still have 20k rounds for it... but it's going so fast!!!!! No way I'll get through next summer without having to do another bulk ammo buy.

Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: Eliteuas
    At those speeds what’s you expected barrel life? Sounds like a killing machine you’ve definitely sparked my interest