• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

18" .243 WSSM...go or no-go?

bjohnson_7

Private
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2007
by the river TN
I ha,ve WSM action laying around. I was gonna build a 6.5 WSM off of but money got tight so I put off the build. Now that I have the funds I'm not sure I wanna go that route, I'd rather have a long action for it. Now the SBR thread has me thinking. So what velocities could I expect from an 18" .243WSSM with 105's? The rifle will be used for coyotes and just general shooting inside 800 yards. So would this be worth the cost to build or should I just scrap the idea?

Re: 18" .243 WSSM...go or no-go?

I'm no WSSM expert but I've read about brass quality problems and feeding problems. Sounds like a lot of headache to me.

Have you considered using the Remington SAUM brass? It's shorter than the WSM brass and Nosler is making some very high quality stuff. A 6.5mm RSAUM is a kick ass cartridge in a short action package. With the longer Alpha mags available for the short magnums, you can seat the bullets long until they fall out of the brass. No need to go to a long action using the Remington SAUM.

I would expect about 3000 to 3100 fps, but that's just an educated guess based on my experience with a 25 wssm.

An 18" barrel seems pretty short for that much case capacity. You will probably have quite a bit of unburned powder.

The 6.5/243wssm should put you at 3000 no problem with the 142s. with the 123s you could easily get them over 3200.

The powder issue can be solved with a faster burning powder. But with the 6.5 SAUM...I don't know whether I would want to have as short of a barrel. If I went 6.5...I don't think I'd use the WSSM case.