• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 18" 300 wind mag

*greenhorn*

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Daytona, Fl
I'm considering having a 300 win mag built and dropping it in a mcrees stock. Can some one post the harmonics or give me a like to any barrell harmonics chart for a .75 barrel up to .930? Also does any one have experience with a shorter barreled 300WM

I cut a .300 Wby Mag barrel down from 26" to 20" for a family member so it wouldn't get hung up on trees as often while hunting. I cut a nice crown and threaded it for a silencer. It shoots better now than it did from the factory (most likely because of the new crown) and the can lessens any extra recoil.

Here is a link to a great writeup that was done long after my project, but reinforces my findings.

300 Winchester Magnum: How Does Barrel Length Change Velocity- A 16? 300 Win Mag? | Rifleshooter.com

I cut a .300 Wby Mag barrel down from 26" to 20" for a family member so it wouldn't get hung up on trees as often while hunting. I cut a nice crown and threaded it for a silencer. It shoots better now than it did from the factory (most likely because of the new crown) and the can lessens any extra recoil.

Here is a link to a great writeup that was done long after my project, but reinforces my findings.

300 Winchester Magnum: How Does Barrel Length Change Velocity- A 16? 300 Win Mag? | Rifleshooter.com

Interesting stuff.

boy i bet the recoil, overpressure and concussion of a 18" will just be a sheer joy and something i am sure you will enjoy to shoot...

Per the math, my gunsmith and I had a long discussion about this, you'd be better off going the route of a 308 if you're going to go 18" because at that point, ballistics are nearly the same.

We had this discussion in the Bolt Action thread the other day -- http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-length-what-am-i-losing-24-did-i-blow-2.html

Anything shorter than 24" with a .300wm to me is a waste.

A lot of things can effect pressures and velocities. What chamber reamer/spec. was used, bore and groove sizes etc.....

I do know for fact in a standard pressure test barrels if your getting 2800fps or more with a bullet 210gr. and heavier most likely your loads are exceeding normal max. working pressures. You might not see it on the brass or bolt lift etc....but I've seen to much load data on test barrels to know what is and what isn't working.

Normal pressure workings loads the .300wm regardless of bullet weight doesn't stay supersonic past 1400 yards. Again I say normal working pressure loads that the .300wm was designed for. That's not to say you cannot hit stuff accurately pass that distance with it though.

Becareful with your loads!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

That should give you everything you need right there.

most likely due to a shorter barrel being stiffer. what suppressor most say at least 24 inches and no more 76 grains for a 300wm. i would have to agree 308 or 30 06 would be a better choice for a shorter barrel.

If you want a short barrel, go with a SA cartridge, just sayin". IMO, magnums are designed to "reach out", you handicap yourself by taking a belted magnum and trying to make it into an ultralite. Flinch WILL become an issue, of this I am certain......Goat