• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

18.5 inch vs 20 inch proof carbon barrel for cz457

Heebhammer56

I'm here because I'm not all there.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 18, 2023
    Florida
    does anyone have any insight for these two Barrels?

I'm looking to upgrade my cz457 and the 18.5 inch barrel is close to $200 less then through the retailer I'm looking at.

is there any significant Velocity gain from the 20"?

I shoot with a 20" carbon on one of my rifles. Much prefer it over the shorter versions.

The driver really is what types of shooting are you doing?

I think 20" is the sweet spot, but I have another with a custom steel 24" barrel and it also shoots lights out.

Is the shorter barrel just a cost thing, or a weight thing?

I guess both…. I was thinking the 18.5 inch would be easier to move around through a PRS stage in and out of barricades etc. but I don’t want to spend less and sacrifice accuracy

Here is my current PRS Setup.....with the 20"

IMG_5626.JPGIMG_5627.JPG

i've run 20" to 31" barrels in PRS matches

length really doesn't matter that much

i'd take the 31" with good balance over a rear heavy 18.5" rimfire

Reactions: Heebhammer56
    i've run 20" to 31" barrels in PRS matches

length really doesn't matter that much

i'd take the 31" with good balance over a rear heavy 18.5" rimfire
    I have to agree b6graham I’ve been reading through several posts including one you commented on regarding barrel contour.

I have the 20” MTR barrel on my cz and I’m leaning towards a 20-22” Lilja stainless bull barrel to give better balance to the rifle and keep at around 16-17 pounds.

doing it again...i'd do a 24-26" for my rimx.

easier to balance (less of an issue in the xlr mag i have coming). better ES/SD (debatable). closer to my comp guns

Of course the 18.5 is going to be easier to maneuver through barricades. It's a spear. The longer it is....the more effort it's going to take to thread it through a ladder or a small port.

There's no way to say whether the one particular barrel you end up buying is more or less accurate or if it's just dumb good or bad luck.

The majority of shooters aren't opting for carbon barrels. They want weight for stability. The sport only rarely asks you to self support your rifle. And even then weight can potentially help to an extent.

The ones like myself that do have and run carbon barrels are looking at the entire rifle setup....not just the barrel. To come to a weight that is acceptable to them.

People who say you shouldn't run a carbon often only want all the weight they can get. It doesn't matter that you have a 3lb scope and 6lb stock, a 1lb bipod, and half a pound in accessories...on top of the barreled action.

You need to better quantify what your trying to accomplish to yourself. And make choices factoring in everything. The barrel is only one piece.

I have a 16in carbon wrapped and it's my fastest 22lr barrel. It shoots 1111FPS with eley tenex/eley team. Much faster than my buddy's IBI 20-24in barrel which usually do 1070-1080fps with the same ammo. That's not really a pro, as it sometimes break the sound barrier and I tend to have a few more vertical flyers than they do at 300 yards.

I don't compete, but if I did, I wouldn't do 16in. I'd do 24in.

Getting ready for a PRS match tomorrow and just made a few changes.......except the barrel of course.

IMG_6212.jpg