• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

18" 6.5 Creedmoor 7 twist 156gr Berger EOL experience?

Darryle

Geezer
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2010
Fort Worth, Texas
Any one have experience? Hunting rifle sub 500yds.I really want to try and use the 156gr EOL if possible.

I also have 140gr VLD-H, 140gr Elite Hunter, 140gr Accubond, 140gr Partion and 135gr Classic Hunter bullets available.

Thanks

I use the 156gr EOL in the 6.5 PRC and in a 24" 6.5 Creedmoor, my concern is velocity loss and bullet impact velocities at range.

I am waiting for the rifle to arrive, while I was looking forward to this for suppressor use, now I am second guessing my decision. I wanted to keep things simple from a reloading perspective, but after thinking about it, I may load the 135gr Bergers and rock on.

I buy components when I find them on the shelf locally whether I plan to use them because of the what if factor of our shitty supply situation at times. I have plenty of brass, powder and primers, so I leave those for the people who may need them, the bullets are the only commodity I really look for because it's the hardest to replace, especially the hunting bullets.

This is my first foray into the sub 22" Creedmoor barrel. I know plenty that do it but usually with lighter faster bullets. I will probably test it on pigs for a few months before I decide to swap over to deer and other thin skinned game.

Thanks

My 6.5 creed shoots the Berger factory 156 ammo fine, at Indiana altitude. 8 twist 20" barrel gets 2,550 fps which when using WY altitude of 4,500 to 5,000 feet is plenty lethal for deer and antelope out to 600 yards.

Reactions: Darryle
Thank you, I am curious to see what happens when I get it to the range. I have quite a bit of the S&B 156gr factory ammo that I bought cheap for break in and for the brass, actually pretty good brass. It will give me a baseline that I can extrapolate out the data. I plan on using the minimum 1800fps mark for expansion to get the yardage maximum. I will be happy with anything over 400yds and under 600yds.

Rl26 is your friend. I have a proof 20" 8tw carbon prefit, has around 400 rounds on it. With 45.4gr rl26, 156s are still running 2680fps. Maxed out at 46.6gr running 2740. Using alpha ocd brass. Lapua holds more powder, but don't know if it'll handle the pressure. I never had much for noticeable bolt lift at top end. I do have dies that size very tightly as base of cartridge.

RL26 is like unicorn tears, I have scoured every out of the way shop and haven't found it yet.

However I did find 8lbs of RL33 for another rifle.

We've had great luck using 18-19" barrels on 6.5x47 rifles and 140 berger vld hunting bullets. I'd think it be a wash between 135, 140 and 156 actually. Our's are 8 twist but can't see a 7 mattering much at these velocities.