• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

18" 6.5 Creedmoor gas gun- rifle or +2 rifle gas

Oregonian1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2019
Looking for advise on the gas system if anyone has an opinion or real world experience, I'm all ears. Please state real world or theoretical just so I have an idea. You don't have to personally have shot something to have an opinion but its nice to know reference.

My back ground. Lots of AR's like you all. I've got a bolt gun that's a freaking laser- shooting 136 Scenars at .6 MOA or better at 6.5 PRC velocities. I need to back it down to perserve barrel life but it sped up once it broke in and I'll use it for an upcoming NRL Hunter match.

I've got an Aero Precision Enhanced M5 build with a Wilson Combat 18" rifle gas fluted 6.5 Creed barrel. Here's the problem- the gun is lighter than I'm used to and therefore I don't shoot it as well as I'd like. Weight isn't an issue and I'd like it more in the 15-18 lb range to soak up recoil for spotting impacts and making adjustments. The 18" is accurate and if a SHTF rifle, this barrel is great. Since the world hasn't quiet ended yet and I don't envision needing to hump this around in the afghan hills anytime soon, I like a heavy rifle. I'm wondering if the handloads are warm or with factory ammo on the upper end, 140 or 147 gr ammo if a +2 rifle gas will work unsuppressed. This has an Aero M5 rifle buffer and tube with a PRS Gen 3 stock. I've got cans and like to use them but I want to be able to use them without. I've got a custom built 5.56 upper that shoots bunny fart soft with an 18" barrel but a +1 or +2 gas rather than reg riflle or midlength.

Just wondering opinions on a tank axle .936 GB barrel with a +2 rifle gas system on an 18" barrel. I'd like to stick to 18" and would drop to rifle gas before going 20" to stick with the +2. I'm looking at X Caliber barrels.

I think @bigjake83 has done an 18" 6.5cm build before with a rifle+1.

I've seen suggested:
18"-20" = rifle+1
>20" = rifle+2

If I can find the post, I'll add it.

Edit: found one thread about it:

Edit edit: looks like @drewthebrave did a 18" +1 with good luck recently, too:

Last edited:
Reactions: simonp
Edit edit: looks like @drewthebrave did a 18" +1 with good luck recently, too:
Indeed, my Criterion 18" from Craddock Precision runs fantastic with a Rifle + 1 gas system. The initial recoil impulse feels similar to my 18" Midlength Grendel -- but I definitely notice the "push & slam" with more reciprocating mass in the large frame AR. Debating whether I want to tune the gas down and try a lighter buffer/carrier system. It hardly seems worth the high cost to save a few ounces at this point, but the tinkerer in me never rests.

If this CP 16" Rifle Gas barrel was available when I built my rig, I probably would have gone with it instead:

Looking for advise on the gas system if anyone has an opinion or real world experience, I'm all ears. Please state real world or theoretical just so I have an idea. You don't have to personally have shot something to have an opinion but its nice to know reference.

My back ground. Lots of AR's like you all. I've got a bolt gun that's a freaking laser- shooting 136 Scenars at .6 MOA or better at 6.5 PRC velocities. I need to back it down to perserve barrel life but it sped up once it broke in and I'll use it for an upcoming NRL Hunter match.

I've got an Aero Precision Enhanced M5 build with a Wilson Combat 18" rifle gas fluted 6.5 Creed barrel. Here's the problem- the gun is lighter than I'm used to and therefore I don't shoot it as well as I'd like. Weight isn't an issue and I'd like it more in the 15-18 lb range to soak up recoil for spotting impacts and making adjustments. The 18" is accurate and if a SHTF rifle, this barrel is great. Since the world hasn't quiet ended yet and I don't envision needing to hump this around in the afghan hills anytime soon, I like a heavy rifle. I'm wondering if the handloads are warm or with factory ammo on the upper end, 140 or 147 gr ammo if a +2 rifle gas will work unsuppressed. This has an Aero M5 rifle buffer and tube with a PRS Gen 3 stock. I've got cans and like to use them but I want to be able to use them without. I've got a custom built 5.56 upper that shoots bunny fart soft with an 18" barrel but a +1 or +2 gas rather than reg riflle or midlength.

Just wondering opinions on a tank axle .936 GB barrel with a +2 rifle gas system on an 18" barrel. I'd like to stick to 18" and would drop to rifle gas before going 20" to stick with the +2. I'm looking at X Caliber barrels.

With the rifle in this review I chose to run a Rifle Length Gas System only because the OBR has a short 12" Handguard and I don't care for having the Gas Block stick out like dogs balls.

The 18" 6.5CM works perfectly but the RLG requires a H3 buffer. Why Mark went with such a short handguard I have no idea, if the OBR had a 14.5" like the Ptar I would have absolutely gone with a +1 Gas System.

If you have any further questions send me a PM.

Jake

Reactions: drewthebrave
I have the exact same setup (Aero Upper and Wilson Combat barrel). I could not get that combo to run reliably with the Aero AR10 carbine buffer and an adjustable gas block. I ended up putting an A2 extension and using an extremely heavy buffer (9.3 ozs).

+1 or +2 gas is almost a requirement for 6.5 Creedmoor in my opinion.