• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

18 inch gas gun 308 vs 6.5 creedmoor

Tgself1

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2022
Athens, Georgia
I am trying to decide on caliber selection for an AR-10 build. The gun will be used for deer sized game out to 300 yards. I am looking at going with 18 inch rifle gas barrel. I am concerned with price and availability of ammo and also on BBC which one will be easier to tune gas wise.

Agree with the 16" recommendation. You only have 1 to 1.1 MIL drop to 300 with a 100 yard zero. Easy hits at that distance. Besides, you will want the shortest barrel possible if you plan to add a can for hunting too.

Reactions: x248716x
I am concerned with price and availability of ammo

If it has to be a gas gun 308 16" or less

Hunting with a 6.5 creedmoor you can get a cheap ruger american bolt gun

bbc gif.gif

I was wanting to go 16 inch but can’t really find anything other than mid length gas systems and was concerned with it being over gassed. I also do not own a suppressor so the extra 2 inches of length isn’t a huge concern in that regard

I was wanting to go 16 inch but can’t really find anything other than mid length gas systems and was concerned with it being over gassed. I also do not own a suppressor so the extra 2 inches of length isn’t a huge concern in that regard
16" barrel, midlength gas, gas port somewhere around .080", A5 length buffer tube, H3 buffer, full weight BCG, Springco Red or Tubb's SR-25 spring.

Make sure the gas tube ends in the middle of the can pin cutout (not short) and she'll probably run. Mine does

Reactions: jnr2233
If you don't have to build, POF Revolution DI, 16" with rifle length gas and an adjustable gas block. Sub 7 pounds and runs like a sewing machine.

Are you dead-set on the large frame DIY build and those 2 calibers, or are you open to options in the AR-15 receiver set?

I’ve been down both routes with dozens of samples in each camp (AR-15 alternate chamberings and AR-10 in .308, .260 Rem, 6.5CM).

Where I’m at now, I don’t even consider the AR-10s much anymore, unless they’re smaller frame.

I impulse-bought a Savage MSR-10 2 years ago, 16” smaller frame .308 with lots of bells and whistles, still haven’t even shot it yet.

I just shoot my 6.5 Grendel AR-15s the most for anything rifle-related when shooting 200-1000yds, all of which are 18” or less except for 1x 22” I haven’t shot in 8 years maybe?

For hunting the woods in Georgia or Deep South, it’s going to suck carrying an AR-10 unless you go with a 2A Xanthos receiver set, Proof CF barrel, etc.

The newer smaller frame AR-10s (DPMS GII, Savage MSR-10) and .308 AR-15s like the Revolution, Rogue, and Ruger SFAR are more ideal for typical hunting. Large frame AR-10s are porky and bulky, not very fun to carry, point, and shoot. They’re doable, but the receiver set and BCG plus barrel shank are typically brick-like.

Reactions: Jsp556
if max distance is 300yds, then you sure-as-shet don't need the long distance capability that 6.5CM gets you, and a 16" barrel is sufficient. The Faxon Gunner barrels are relatively light-weight, for AR-10's, so-to-speak.

so, 308.

Make sure you’re committed to a large frame, and buy a good factory gun. If you decide that it isn’t your jam, you’ll get most of your money back.

I see a lot of Aero’s for sale for $1k-1200 on the local gun forums. Not so many quality brands.

• Haha
Reactions: rpoL98
I see a lot of Aero’s for sale for $1k-1200 on the local gun forums. Not so many quality brands.

Are you saying Aero isn’t good? Can you go further into your thoughts on “not so many quality brands”?

Are you saying Aero isn’t good? Can you go further into your thoughts on “not so many quality brands”?
Search this forum for the “help” threads. You’ll get your answer. I mentioned Aero since they are so popular. Substitute PSA, Diamondback, Stag, or whatever.

There’s a reason that Seekins, JP, GAP, DD, HK, LMT, KAC, and SCAR’s bring the prices they do. It’s not just “the name/rollmark”. No one pays those prices for a piece of shit.

ETA: Scroll through your local gun sale forums. You’ll see it there as well.

Last edited:
I can’t speak for Aero complete uppers or rifles. I would never buy a complete AR from ANY manufacture Aero included. Not when you can assemble one in your basement that’s just as accurate if not more for 1/8 the price, with exactly what you want to begin with. I’m shocked that anyone would pay sone of those prices. Buy what you want, assemble ,shoot. Simple

I can’t speak for Aero complete uppers or rifles. I would never buy a complete AR from ANY manufacture Aero included. Not when you can assemble one in your basement that’s just as accurate if not more for 1/8 the price, with exactly what you want to begin with. I’m shocked that anyone would pay sone of those prices. Buy what you want, assemble ,shoot. Simple
A 6920 costs roughly $1k. You’re not beating that for $125. Lol

16" 308 build
Aero precision M5 lower with carbine buffer tube, M5 upper, and handgaurd
JP LMOS BCG and silent capture spring
Criterion 16" M118 barrel
SLR sentry detent adjustable gas block
Geissele G2S trigger
Top it with a Trijicon Credo 2-10 in a seekins mount and you're ready to hit the range

I did a similar build for 6.5cm but used the Aero M5E1 upper and handgaurd
Faxon 16" big gunner barrel
JP FMOS BCG and detent adjustable gas block.

I use the same lower for both uppers. I like the 308 upper more. The Faxon barrel is rough and if I don't keep the chamber clean it brass will stick. I want to upgrade to a wilson combat barrel.

The SLR detent adjustable gas block is significantly better than the JP offering, just much more refined.

A 6920 costs roughly $1k. You’re not beating that for $125. Lol
If all you want is a basic AR sure you could buy a psa for $5-600 that will shoot just as well. That’s not the point. We’re talking about building quality large frame ar10/lr308s. It’s a whole different ballgame .

or, maybe it's because mainstream Aero outsells the boutique brands a hundred to one, or more, and what we're seeing is just a small-sample consequence of those statistics? Do you know? does anybody know how many Aero M5 lowers are sold in one year? it'd be interesting. Add in that most, if not all Aero builds, are exactly that, "built-by-owner". not the same as a Daniel Defense purchased whole, fully assembled, and integrated and tuned as an assembly. Not the same as buying an upper with your random choice of caliber and length, and a lower of your choice of buttstock configuration, slapping them together, and calling that an Aero build, expecting that to run out-of-the-gate, as is. Not the same as AR-15 Lego's.

and we don't exactly have the ratio of how many people build their Aero's, go out and shoot them, and don't bother with posting success stories on social media? not everybody is tuned in to that, so the sampling quality kinda falls apart when you consider these factors, erroneous conclusions drawn from faulty sampling, but it's the internet, so it must be solid, god-as-my-witness, gospel truth, straight from the horse's mouth.

OTOH, the folks that do come to the forum for help with their Aero build, hopefully they appreciate help from the "support group". and that it actually exists.

okay, rant over. Peace. Out.

• Haha
Reactions: rpoL98
or, maybe it's because mainstream Aero outsells the boutique brands a hundred to one, or more, and what we're seeing is just a small-sample consequence of those statistics? Do you know? does anybody know how many Aero M5 lowers are sold in one year? it'd be interesting. Add in that most, if not all Aero builds, are exactly that, "built-by-owner". not the same as a Daniel Defense purchased whole, fully assembled, and integrated and tuned as an assembly. Not the same as buying an upper with your random choice of caliber and length, and a lower of your choice of buttstock configuration, slapping them together, and calling that an Aero build, expecting that to run out-of-the-gate, as is. Not the same as AR-15 Lego's.

and we don't exactly have the ratio of how many people build their Aero's, go out and shoot them, and don't bother with posting success stories on social media? not everybody is tuned in to that, so the sampling quality kinda falls apart when you consider these factors, erroneous conclusions drawn from faulty sampling, but it's the internet, so it must be solid, god-as-my-witness, gospel truth, straight from the horse's mouth.

OTOH, the folks that do come to the forum for help with their Aero build, hopefully they appreciate help from the "support group". and that it actually exists.

okay, rant over. Peace. Out.
Or, maybe, people are naturally cheap and subscribe to the “just as good” theory. Then they shoot 2 boxes of XM-80 and have malfunctions, or can’t drive the gun. They were expecting reliable moa all day but fell short.

One of three things usually happen next. 1) Put it in the safe and it stays there forever. 2) They start throwing parts at it and end up with close to as much money in it as buying something that would have worked out of the gate. 3) They sell for a loss.