• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 18" pump that's threaded for chokes?

sam4886

Stunt Cock
Minuteman
May 15, 2019
Eastern WA
Is the 590a1 the only 18" pump that you can get from the factory that is threaded for chokes?

I'm looking for a short pump shotgun to add to the pile but I want to be able to change chokes. There are plenty of aftermarket barrels, but I'd like to avoid dropping another $200 on a $500 gun.

The 870 and supernova are the other two I was looking into, but it seems they aren't threaded? I have and have shot both of these more than the Mossberg, so I was leaning towards them, but the chokes is kind of a big deal for me.

Anyone know any different?

i think you are going to have a hard time finding an 18" barrel pump with threaded chokes.

most 18" ers tend to be used for HD.....at that <20-30' distance, a choke really isnt going to make a difference

frankly, i would just buy the gun you want....and pay a gunsmith the $100 to get it threaded for chokes.....

I've looked into that too. The supernova would be my first choice but it looks like you can't find anyone to thread it, there's not enough meat there.

I think I've seen 18 inch 870 barrels made by carlsons that are threaded for remchoke.
Check ebay, close to 300 bucks.

You'll want to look for a Remington 870 Express Tactical Model #81198

https://www.remarms.com/shotguns/tactical/model-870-express-tactical

870ExpressTactical81198_0.jpg

I have the Mossberg 590A1 in 14" with heavy wall open cylinder barrel and the Rem 870 14" Vang Comp ported, so no choke system in either..

For non-BATFE options:
Look at the FN Herstal Police model; 18" barrel with threaded chokes. It is the shotgun the elite Rogers Shooting School uses for their advanced combat shotgun course; IF you can run the pump fast, it's easier to run an auto faster.

The design is the same as the Winchester 1300, "world's fastest pump shotgun" that uses a rotary bolt
system that will literally eject the fired round when shooting one handed. I modified the carrier to remove the "hump" so it could never lock up the action if you short stroke the pumping......for the same reasons Remington introduced the "flex-tab" carrier.
Here's mine.
IMG_7252 copy 2.JPG
Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 6.00.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 6.00.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 6.02.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 6.04.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 6.06.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 6.08.41 PM.png

IMG_0204Mossberg 14 590A1 08.01.21 copy.jpg
IMG_0212Wilson Combat 14 Remington 870 08.01.21 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Great info, @strikeeagle1. I'll look into the FN and 1300.

It looks like with Remington being bought and sold that the only option for the express tactical is the used market, which is fine, just harder to find. Same goes for the FNH and 1300.

I hadn't really considered the winchester stuff, but my main hunting shotgun is an SX4 that I like a lot. They've got a few 18" versions of the SXP with interchangeable chokes for about the same price as the other stuff listed here. I'll have to do more checking into those.

Last edited:
I hadn't really considered the winchester stuff, but my main hunting shotgun is an SX4 that I like a lot. They've got a few 18" versions of the SXP with interchangeable chokes for about the same price as the other stuff listed here. I'll have to do more checking into those.
Outside of the Mossberg and Winchester, none of the rest are being made still. Something to keep in mind if you need parts down the road. Plus side of 870s is there is a literal shit ton of parts out there already.

The FN and 1300 turned into the SXP iirc. The SXP has the same recoil assisted racking.

Current factory options are down to Mossberg 590a1 and winchester SXP. The supernova is still being made, just not with chokes.

Does anyone know the particulars on how the SXP is made? I'm talking like dual action rails, riveted parts vs screws/bolts, machined vs metal molded parts, dual extractors and or ejectors.

The above listed stuff were all differences between the 870 and 590. I haven't been able to find as much detailed stuff on the SXP. I'm gonna try to find a full disassembly video or something today.

Does anyone have one of the SXP defenders they can share their thoughts on?

got a browning bps pump with18 inch barrel and extended mag tube holds 8 i use for everthing from compition hunting home defense all steel neat gun

Winchester_SXP_schem.jpg

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/winchester/shotguns-win/sxp
Parts diagrams are always a good way to figure out how things work and how it's made. Dual action bars, single extractor, rotating bolt (you can tell because there's a cam pin), firing pin spring. No clue how the extractor is retained as I don't see an extractor retaining pin on the parts list. Ejector is retained by a retainer + screw (part 14+15). Spring on the ejector. Based on the picture of the extractor below, there's at least some MIM

236700.jpg

Yup, I looked on numrich at the same thing after I posted earlier.

Not thrilled about MIM stuff, but it is what it is. I'm sure a lot of my other guns have them too so I can't let that be the deciding factor.

Those SXPs are pretty decent looking and I've already got the chokes. I need to find one to fondle in person now.

I built a SHTF shotgun on a Remington 870 Turkey gun base. I wanted screw in chokes and a vent rib barrel. A shotgun will never be my go to defense weapon so the 21" barrel will never be a handicap. Let me see if I can find a picture to post.