• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

18" SPR 6.5 Grendel Build Complete w/ Load DATA**

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
Here is my most recent build, 18" SPR 6.5 Grendel.
This was one of the best builds I ever put together and one of the most accurate.

The next investment is to get this thing suppressed.

speedy019.jpg

speedy023.jpg

speedy025.jpg

speedy027.jpg

speedy024.jpg

speedy022.jpg

speedy032.jpg

speedy048.jpg

speedy030.jpg

speedy041.jpg

url]

url]

url]

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Trip to the range:</span></span>

123gr. Lapua Scenar and Win748 Handloads
url]

120gr. Nosler BT and BL-C(2) Handloads
url]

This was the first group of the day. Without the cold bore/fouling shot it would of held a pretty good group.
url]

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Look for a Shit Ton of 6.5 Grendel load data I posted on the 3rd page of this thread.</span></span></span>

Re: New 6.5 Grendel Build Complete. (PIC HEAVY)

<span style="text-decoration: underline">SPECS ON BUILD:</span>

Vltor MUR Upper reciever
Liberty Tactical Lower reciever
Geisselle SSA Trigger
Ergo Grip w/ Palm shelf
Magpul PRS stock
Magpul AFG Grip
Magpul Rail Panels
Magpul Rail ladders
Daniel Defense 12.0" M4 rail
Smith Ent. Vortex Brake/flash hider
Accu-Shot mono-pod
Larue Tactical Bi-pod mount
Larue Tactical SPR 1.5 optic Mount
Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 (NP-R1 Reticle)
KNS Non-rotating trigger pins
Badger TAC-Latch
C-Products and AA Mags
Daniel Defense Low Profile gas block (mid-Gas)
Sabre Defense 18" Comp. D. barrel (1-7.5 twist)
Sabre Defense matching Bolt
BCM Bolt (auto) bolt carrier
Harris Bipod 6"-9" (notched legs)
Phoenix Tactical Rubber sled feet.
Phoenix Tactical Pod Claws (small) not in pics, use for prone pos.

It's more accurate than alLot of bolt rifles I've seen!.

You should try the new IMR8208 because it won't be so temperature sensitive like the 2 you are using.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting. What part of PA are you in? </div></div>

I now live in eastern OH. I used to live in western PA. My new house is only 6 miles from my old house but in a different state.

My house is about 3 miles from the PA border. Its about 1 1/2 hrs north of Pittsburg.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's more accurate than alLot of bolt rifles I've seen!.

You should try the new IMR8208 because it won't be so temperature sensitive like the 2 you are using. </div></div>

I know, alot of guys say AR-platforms cant shoot as good as bolt guns but mine outshoots pretty much every bolt gun at my range.

I kinda playing with the 2 powders im shooting well with now. I dont think the IMR 8208 will do well cuz the Grendel shoots better with "ball" powders. I havnt really had any luck with stick or small stick powder. I did have some pretty tight groups with VV N-140 and 107gr. SMK's tho.

Im getting some loads of 108gr. Lapua Scenars and TAC together tonight, I cant wait to see how they shoot. Alot of guys have luck with that combo.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Good powders for the Grendel (bullets- 120's):</span>
Ramshot TAC
AA 2520
BL-C(2)
Win748

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting. What part of PA are you in? </div></div>

I now live in eastern OH. I used to live in western PA. My new house is only 6 miles from my old house but in a different state.

My house is about 3 miles from the PA border. Its about 1 1/2 hrs north of Pittsburg. </div></div>

Cool, I grew up in northeastern PA. Yeah, my Grendel loves AA2520.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good powders for the Grendel (bullets- 120's):
Ramshot TAC
AA 2520
BL-C(2)
Win748
</div></div>

I have had good luck with these powders and that bullet in my Grendel.

Good looking rifle. Looks like it shoots well also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David777</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting. What part of PA are you in? </div></div>

My house is about 3 miles from the PA border. Its about 1 1/2 hrs north of Pittsburg. </div></div>

Cool, I grew up in northeastern PA. Yeah, my Grendel loves AA2520. </div></div>

I gave up on AA2520 for my 6mmART because it was 130fps slower from the middle of summer to the middle of winter.It meters well through a powder measure.

Im thinking about putting on a AAC Cyclone mod 8 for a suppressor.

Anyone suppress their 6.5 Grendel? Pics?

LR30

That looks great man, nice groups as well!

If you don’t mind, could you share some more specific details on the loads you’re using? I plan to build/buy a 6.5 one of these days, and I’m just trying too gather all the info I can.

Thanks,

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He_Shoot _Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LR30

That looks great man, nice groups as well!

If you don’t mind, could you share some more specific details on the loads you’re using? I plan to build/buy a 6.5 one of these days, and I’m just trying too gather all the info I can.

Thanks,

-Pat
</div></div>

Go to <span style="font-weight: bold">Alexander Arms website </span>and go to the 6.5 Grendel part and click on Load data.

Thats what I use.

If you looking for a specific bullet load data let me know and I could find you some data also.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">The 2 most acccurate loads I use in <span style="font-weight: bold">MY RIFLE </span>(may not be accurate in yours) are:</span>

123gr. Lapua Scenar
29.5gr. Win 748
Lapua Brass
CCi #450 Primer
OAL - 2.260"

120gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip
31.5gr. BL-C(2)
Lapua Brass
CCI #450 primer
OAL - 2.255"

* I have put some handloads together w/ TAC and AA2520 powders but have not tested them yet but im betting I will get some good groups with these powders.

LR30,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond! That's exactly what I was looking for.

-Pat

Im wondering what would be a good setup for a suppressor with the Grendel? This will be my first suppressor purchase so im kinda new to the styles and attachments. I dont want anything permenently attached tho.

What suppressors will attach to the Smith Ent. Vortex I have for a brake/Flas hider? Any of em'? Will a .308 suppressor work? Is that the way to go?

I like the AAC mod 8 and YHM suppressors.

I have no idea, have no experience what so ever with suppressors. But I have talked to Frank about the same thing, he runs .308 cans on a 6.5mm. I don't know if that helps.

I have just recently taken receipt of my a AAC Cyclone (3 weeks ago) and I believe it was produced around mid January, anyhow don't know how that fits into your "mod 8" description. As for using it on your Grendel it would be perfect. I have fired it on my 243 (shooting 115 DTAC's) my 308, and my AR-15 with a 26" Krieger 7.7 twist. I can't say enough on how well it works and also cannot tell any difference in sound reduction between the 3 rifles. All three guns are competition level F-class rifles and I am shooting the silencer in matches to make a point. I am a 100% convert to suppressed shooting ONLY and the Cyclone and other AAC products will be on all my guns eventually. Hope that helps.

I forgot to mention, I to HAD a 6.5 Grendel and regret having sold it. It too was the most accurate rifle I have ever owned and on a AR platform to boot. Shot a 7 round group at a lasered 1050 yds. of 3.25" with the Black Hills factory 123 Sierra load. It was a 10 shot group and all 10 would have been in the 3.25" but I was alone (no witnesses) and had made a 1/2 moa adjustment to get on steel but the other 3 rounds were exactly 5.5" off the steel in wood. I still dream of that rifle and how perfect it would have been with this Cyclone on it!

Beautiful rifle. I like the black and tan contrast. And its a 6.5 caliber. You just can't go wrong there.

My next AR-platform build is going to be a Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel GDMR Clone build (pic at the bottom). Im going with a 22" bbl for it instead of a 19.5" bbl. I got about half the parts so far and cant decide what kind of optic im going to mount on it. I definetly want another 6.5 Grendel to shoot!

<span style="font-weight: bold">Here is the collection of my builds so far.</span> (Waitin' for my Aimpoint M4 optic and Larue Mount from UPS man for the 3rd AR in the pic)

0414101212-00.jpg

shot09-alexander-arms-gdmr.jpg

Thanks,

I cant wait to get the GDMR finished! Im getting a bolt gun (.300WM) built by Warner tool so funds are limited at the moment to complete it.

Is there any types of suppressors that will work with the Smith Ent. Vortex flash hider I already have?

Im kinda new to the suppressor thing, this will be my first one.

I was looking at the AAC Cyclone, YHM and Surefire suppressors for options.

Anyone have their Grendel Suppressed?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stmcelroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beautiful AR's, how does that new 6.5G shoot?

I'm considering a 6.5G or a 6.8SPC for range and possible hunting. </div></div>

The 6.5 Grendel shoots VERY accurate and will shoot out to 1,200yrds no problem. A bullet such as the 123gr. Lapua Scenar is still super sonic past 1,000yrds! What other AR-platform that you could fit on a .223 upper can do that? None but the Grendel.

Its better for a long range AR but if you want a shorter range AR platform the 6.8SPC would be more your choice.

The Grendel I built will shoot as good or better than every bolt gun shot at my range (that i have seen).

If you want to see how accurate it could be, I have some groups I just tested last week and 5 shots were going in 1 hole. Here is the pic below.

so yeah, the 6.5 Grendel is a very accurate long range AR platform and is definetly worth the money or build time.

Anyone I have ever talked to online are very glad they built or bought a grendel but it also depends on what you want your AR to do.

There is some good info on Alexander Arms website and the 65Grendelforum or just google/search it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I cant remember what this size is but if you could fit a dime over it and cant see the holes, thats good enough for me from a AR-platfrom! 5-shots smaller than a dime(@ 100yrds handload testing)</span>
0402100123-00.jpg

0402100122-00.jpg

Nothing will fit OVER your Vortex and I forgot to mention that the Cyclone would require you to rethread your barrel to 5/8-24 tpi so in my opinion no go for the Cyclone on your current barrel due to the hassles of setting back losing length and being to close to the fluting. If you do another build keep the 5/8-24 muzzle in mind and I would skip the fluting, looks cool but not really necessary. with the 1/2" muzzle now you really are locked into a 223 only suppressor. I think the direct thread Cyclone is the best way to go if you are wanting versatility (multi caliber) and accuracy (no tolerance stacking with adapters). The 308 Surefires (all Surefires) require a Surefire adapter so that combined with the need of multiple adapters for each rifle you would want to use it on start to add up to a very expensive multi caliber use problem, never mind they are Cadillac priced to begin with. The Cyclone is really the best way to go as far as multi gun/caliber for the money you'll just need to think ahead to make it all happen. All the rifles I am using it on will shoot 1/2 moa +/-@ 1000 yds.

What type of muzzle brakes do you prefer on the Grendel? I'm getting ready to start my 18.5 Sabre Defence upper build. Thanks

I have an AAC M4-2000 6.5 Grendel can that I am waiting for a mount to arrive. It is going on a JP Enterprises CTR-02 that shoots insanely sweet. I fell in love with this round a couple of years ago after much reading. I also have a Les Baer Grendel with a 20" barrel that shoots idiot small groups. What's not to love? I will post pics when the mount comes in, keep up the great Grendel posts.

Looks like if I want a suppressor I will have to get my barrel re-threaded. Unless they make a adapter that size.

Dont know if I want to spend the money for the tax stamp, suppressor, barrel re-threaded, waiting on the paperwork to go thru and new adapter. Lookin upwards of $1,200+ for everything and a long-ass wait.
F*&$ it.

Maybe one for my bolt gun tho. Not worth the money and the hassle for an AR unless I had that money to just blow.

I have the GDMR in 6.5. Have for several years. Some initial problems but Bill Alexander took good care of it right away.

I have a 7.62 SD AAC on it and shoot it with the suppressor most of the time. It has the QD mount from AAC for the 7.62 and works great. I use the same can on several other 7.62's and a 6.8 also, all with the QD mounts.

DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT put a 223 QD mount on. You will find that it is NOT large enough for the 6.5. You will destroy the mount and the suppressor. Have it rethreaded by a good gunsmith. You are correct in that it will be upwards of 1200$, and the wait will be in the vicinity of 4/6 months, for the paperwork. Buy your can from a dealer who has it in stock. See it with your own eyes. I have been lied to, as have others. That cuts a little time off. Before you get money wrapped up in this make sure that your chief LEO will sign the form 4. Or do the LLC or trust. Lots written on that on this site.

Great gun and the can is the way to go. Much more fun to shoot. POI does shift maybe .5 MOA at 100 yards. Sight it in with the can and you are GTG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hogrider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the GDMR in 6.5. Have for several years. Some initial problems but Bill Alexander took good care of it right away.

I have a 7.62 SD AAC on it and shoot it with the suppressor most of the time. It has the QD mount from AAC for the 7.62 and works great. I use the same can on several other 7.62's and a 6.8 also, all with the QD mounts.

DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT put a 223 QD mount on. You will find that it is NOT large enough for the 6.5. You will destroy the mount and the suppressor. Have it rethreaded by a good gunsmith. You are correct in that it will be upwards of 1200$, and the wait will be in the vicinity of 4/6 months, for the paperwork. Buy your can from a dealer who has it in stock. See it with your own eyes. I have been lied to, as have others. That cuts a little time off. Before you get money wrapped up in this make sure that your chief LEO will sign the form 4. Or do the LLC or trust. Lots written on that on this site.

Great gun and the can is the way to go. Much more fun to shoot. POI does shift maybe .5 MOA at 100 yards. Sight it in with the can and you are GTG. </div></div>

do you have a pic with your 6.5 grendel w/ your suppressor mounted?

I would like to see that setup.

I shot my 18" Grendel for the first time yesterday. I only shot 20 rounds of AA 100 Grain Bergers. I bought them for the brass as much as anything. I also bought IMR 8208 because I thought that might be the right stuff. I have a bunch of 123 A Max's that I plan on getting dialed in as my go to round.

I love the Grendel but those rounds must be for a longer barrel because it was throwing some serious flash out the end of the barrel...as seen through the scope and from the wife. She shot it once and didn't like it. She resumed the Accutrigger 22 shooting.

I'll take it back out next time I am off with some decent targets and some kind of rest. I just used a soft rifle case.

I am liking this rifle a LOT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The 6.5 Grendel shoots VERY accurate and will shoot out to 1,200yrds no problem. A bullet such as the 123gr. Lapua Scenar is still super sonic past 1,000yrds! What other AR-platform that you could fit on a .223 upper can do that? None but the Grendel.
</div></div>
Actually there are several, 6WOA, 6mm Hagar, all of Whitleys 6mms, a 6BR, 6BRX, 6.5BR, 6.5BRX, 5.56x42 but, nice looking rig and shooting.

longrange30, have you tested the TAC loads yet?

Can you tell me the velocity of any of your loads you tested so far?

I won a Sabre upper recently with the 18 inche barrel like yours, and I am wondering how much velocity I can get.

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiCapMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">longrange30, have you tested the TAC loads yet?

Can you tell me the velocity of any of your loads you tested so far?

I won a Sabre upper recently with the 18 inche barrel like yours, and I am wondering how much velocity I can get.

Thanks! </div></div>

Actually im getting to the range this weekend to test the TAC loads with the 123gr. Lapua Scenars and 120gr. Nosler BT's, I have been so busy with work lately I havnt been able to get there. Im not at home now to check the velocity's I got but your looking at around 2,600fps is what I could remeber with AA2520 and the 123gr. Scenars.

Check Alexander Arms website and they have a 6.5 Grendel reloading page if you want to check the velocity of the different bullets.

Hummmmm..... using that velocity, the numbers are just a little worse than my 308 on elevation, and a little better on wind.....hummmmmm.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiCapMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hummmmm..... using that velocity, the numbers are just a little worse than my 308 on elevation, and a little better on wind.....hummmmmm..... </div></div>

Thats why I chose the 6.5 Grendel over a .308 (7.62) build.

By far the most accurate AR platform I have ever shot. Very good at distance also. I love it. Im currently in the process of building another Grendel platform.
The only downfall is the lack of factory ammo but seeing that i reload for it its not a problem. If you dont reload your own ammo I would go with the .308 because of the more available factory ammo.

I couldnt be more happier with this build.

I just won a Rock River 6.5 Grendel upper with a Lothar Walther 20" 8twist bbl and Dan Young flash hider. It should be here tomorrow or the next day. Going to stick it on top of my Bushmaster lower. Can't wait to get out and shoot it but I'm having trouble finding brass. I've heard that you can neck down 7.62x39 brass but I've been having trouble finding any of that too. Any ideas on where I can pick some brass up???

Oh by the way, damn nice looking rifle!!!

Tom

Midway has Brass for the grendel. Last night they still have Lapua and Hornady.

Oh and nice build as well. Not a big fan of the stock, but everything else looks great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: generalquark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Midway has Brass for the grendel. Last night they still have Lapua and Hornady. </div></div>

Midway is one of many websites that carry Lapua/Hornady brass for the Grendel.

I mainly use Powder Valley's website for all my Bullets, Brass, Powders. They are cheaper than ALOT of other websites, including Midway USA. The only thing I order from Midway USA is cleaning components and any small reloadings tools and parts but when it comes to brass, bullets, powders, etc Powder Valley is my go to.

By the way, when Hornady was saying they were releasing 6.5 Grendel brass all the Grendel owners were going crazy and couldnt wait 'till it came out. Now that Hornady brass is now available you dont hear much talk about it at all.

I will stick to Lapua as my #1 brass choice for my Grendel, being the fact that I have 14 reloads on one batch and most of my others are around 8-10 and still going strong.Alexander Arms brass comes in at 2nd. IMO I think the AA brass is Lapua brass but with the head stamped "AA".

As far as .223 brass, I use mainly Winchester and Remington for my loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AA Brass is Lapua.....

</div></div>

Thats what I was hinting. I know.

Is just makes me wonder why they could sell the AA brass at around $40 cheaper than the lapua brass. I buy the AA brass for $65 for 100pcs and the Lapua for $92 for 100pcs. The only thing is its alot easier to find the Lapua Brass in stock rather than the AA. I guess your paying the extra $30-$40 for the "Lapua" name.

I wish i could find the AA brass in stock on a regular basis.

Thanks guys. Just got my Forster dies and an order of bullets. Still waiting on the upper.

Was sighting in my 6mm06AI @ 100yds the other day (fireforming)with Sierra 100 gr BTSP and shot completely through the AR-500 1/2" steel plate! (several times) oops.

Great looking stick and groups! Its threads like this that make me consider building an AR platform rifle in 6.5G instead of a bolt gun in .260.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roaddog1m</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. Just got my Forster dies and an order of bullets. Still waiting on the upper.

Was sighting in my 6mm06AI @ 100yds the other day (fireforming)with Sierra 100 gr BTSP and shot completely through the AR-500 1/2" steel plate! (several times) oops. </div></div>

I think your on the wrong thread.

I will have to check out powder valley. Thanks for the info.