• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

18" Stainless Fluted 1:7 AR barrel, 5.56 NATO

twadsw01

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2010
Durham, NC
I'm having a heck of a time finding a barrel that fits the above description. I was wondering if there's any particular reason that that's the case.

I'm going for a setup that isn't too terribly front-heavy (without adding a counter-balance) so that it can be fired offhand, yet will be in the neighborhood of 0.75 moa (or better if possible).

Is there a reason why no (or not many) manufacturers make a barrel that has those specs? Would it have to be custom made?

Re: 18" Stainless Fluted 1:7 AR barrel, 5.56 NATO

I have often wondered the same thing. There are a lot of great 1:8 SS options out there though, and unless you planning on shooting a lot of stuff that doesn't fit the magazine, 1:8 should be all that you need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: twadsw01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm having a heck of a time finding a barrel that fits the above description. I was wondering if there's any particular reason that that's the case.

I'm going for a setup that isn't too terribly front-heavy (without adding a counter-balance) so that it can be fired offhand, yet will be in the neighborhood of 0.75 moa (or better if possible).

Is there a reason why no (or not many) manufacturers make a barrel that has those specs? Would it have to be custom made? </div></div>

twad,

WOA, White Oak Armament makes a fluted 1-7" stainless 18" barrel, and makes a complete 18" Varmint upper w/a stainless 18" 1-7 twist barrel, with straight fluting as an option.

Link:

WOA

Bob

www.adcofirearms.com had some stuff a few weeks ago.. Also he does fluting, chopping, contouring and crowning so if you find a 20 or something he can make it exactly what you want.

Am I asking too much accuracy from a setup like that, do you reckon?

I took a look at WOA's site and only see a 20" fluted. It's the SDM-variant, which is perfect other than that it's 20". It's got a .223 Wylde chamber, which I'm assuming would work with the longer 77gr 5.56mm rounds (correct?).

The other option on there is their SPR match barrel. Looks good, but it's not fluted. If it wouldn't be barrel-heavy with a normal receiver, rail, and collapsible buttstock setup, then I wouldn't care if it wasn't fluted I don't think. Would it be barrel heavy though?

My bad, Bob. I see the one you're talking about now at WOA. .223 varmint upper with the straight flute option. The site says their varmint barrel has the "exclusive WOA varmint chamber". hmmm...

Might email them and get the specs on that chamber.

Sabre defense has alot of stainless 18" with flutes, and they are not as heavy as a varmint contour. Midway carries these also if you are having a hard time finding them in stock anywhere.

Not sure how important the twist it to you, 1-8 isn't that much different for performance IMHO.

http://www.sabredefence.com/products.php#products/barrels

Okay, guys. I really appreciate all of the information and references to websites/companies that have something like I'm looking for.

I was in a gun shop tonight and was told that there's no velocity to be gained from having an 18" barrel over a 16" barrel. The fellow I was talking to said that the powder in a 5.56mm cartridge is burnt out at like 14" or thereabouts. Is this correct? If so, what is the purpose of a longer barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: twadsw01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was in a gun shop tonight and was told that there's no velocity to be gained from having an 18" barrel over a 16" barrel. The fellow I was talking to said that the powder in a 5.56mm cartridge is burnt out at like 14" or thereabouts. </div></div>

false

IIRC the 5.56 round is actually designed to fire from a 20" barrel. (why do you think they put flash hiders on m-16s?) because all the unburnt powder creates the huge ass fireball at the muzzle of a 16" barrel. im no gun pro but neither is the guy telling you to that there is no velocity gain. the gain might be small something like 20-40 fps but its still there. im sure that most of the people here can tell you the same, or the military has misguided me either way its a learning expirience for us both