• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 180 bergers in Rem WSM Action

19Scout77

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2007
GA
Does a Remingtom WSM receiver (used for a custom 7wsm) need to have the feed ramp altered to feed 180 bergers out of an AICS mag?

TIA

Re: 180 bergers in Rem WSM Action

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes. It needs to be notched so the nose of the bullet clears.
</div></div>

Would you happen to have a picture of the modification? (I searched but found no love...)

Thanks.

You can do this in 1 minute and a dremel "cone shaped" grinding stone.
***You need to pop the plate out of the front of your AI mags first so your longest OAL rounds fit. Then insert the mag to see how much the action needs to be modded.*** (like wnroscoe said below)
DSC00417.jpg

DSC00419.jpg

DSC00421.jpg

If the front plate has been removed from inside the AI Mag I'd notch the feed ramp. I used a .250" center cut end mill to do mine using a plunge cut (.260 Rem, modified AI magazine) A dermal will also work but, be careful. The same holds true for any caliber that has had the front plate removed from the AI magazine.

Load your magazine and start it in the rifle, you'll see where the notch needs to be and how much you'll have to remove. Dont just start cutting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the front plate has been removed from inside the AI Mag I'd notch the feed ramp. I used a .250" center cut end mill to do mine using a plunge cut (.260 Rem, modified AI magazine) A dermal will also work but, be careful. The same holds true for any caliber that has had the front plate removed from the AI magazine.

Load your magazine and start it in the rifle, you'll see where the notch needs to be and how much you'll have to remove. Dont just start cutting. </div></div>

That is EXACTLY what I needed to to know--thank you. The work will be done in a proper machine shop--I am not a fan of the dremel for metal work on rifles.

Come on E grind that puppy! Have a few single barrel burbon hits and it will be a piece of cake.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the front plate has been removed from inside the AI Mag I'd notch the feed ramp. I used a .250" center cut end mill to do mine using a plunge cut (.260 Rem, modified AI magazine) A dermal will also work but, be careful. The same holds true for any caliber that has had the front plate removed from the AI magazine.

Load your magazine and start it in the rifle, you'll see where the notch needs to be and how much you'll have to remove. Dont just start cutting. </div></div>

That is EXACTLY what I needed to to know--thank you. <span style="font-weight: bold">The work will be done in a proper machine shop</span>--I am not a fan of the dremel for metal work on rifles. </div></div>

You'll be GTG then. I only made my notch about half the diameter of the .250" end mill, worked like a champ and the rifle feeds like a fat chick at a buffet (I stole that saying from 7mmRM)

I did mine with a dremel (AKA hand mill), it came out pretty nice!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did mine with a dremel (AKA <span style="font-weight: bold">hand mill</span>), it came out pretty nice! </div></div>

Hand Job??

Sorry, could'nt resist

LOL, what can I say, my hands are very talented
wink.gif