• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

180 grain Berger VLD's in Remington Sendero 7mm

RidgeRebel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2009
Hurricane, UT
Anybody shooting 180 grain VLD's in a Sendero 7mm Rem Mag?
Berger recomends a 1-9 twist for them but the Sendero has a 1-9.25. I would think they would be fine, but I was wondering if anybody else was shooting them with good success? Anybody willing to share the load info as well?

Thanks
Bob

Re: 180 grain Berger VLD's in Remington Sendero 7mm

I shoot them in Rem Mags with 8.7 or 9 twist barrels. You could try them and see if they worked. At your higher elevation, you might be able to get away with it. Retumbo will be your powder of choice for sure.

Bob, I reloaded for my Uncles Savage 7 Rem mag. Not sure the twist, but could not get it to shot the 180 VLD's good. End up using the 168 VLD's Rem brass,CCI-BR2 primer, 72g Retumbo, +.005 into the lands. Hope this helps a little. We shot down in St. George a lot.

Here it is in action.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NWd1YYouuNQ&feature=plcp&context=C2a794UDOEgsToPDskKSyKyBsCNFVkwtsfpaz7BH"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NWd1YYouuNQ&feature=plcp&context=C2a794UDOEgsToPDskKSyKyBsCNFVkwtsfpaz7BH" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I hunted with a Ruger #1 7mmRM in 2010 with 180 gr VLD hunting at 3025 fps.
I got great groups at 100 yards, but I had long range problems, so I went back to Nosler Ballistic tips in 2011.

Now I suspect that the VLD bullet was going unstable at long range.

For some reason I get slightly better groups with the 180's vs the 168's but they are similar. (~ 0.5 MOA at 300yds) I have a 7mm RM Sendero, factory barrel. I use H1000, 215GM primers and seat both 168's and 180's about .004" off the lands. Curious what other folks seat the 7mm Bergers at?