• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

180gr 7MM bullets

Bacarrat

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I need to order up some more 7mm bullets pretty soon. I think I am a little under 400 or so left. How do the JLKs compare to the Bergers? I am currently shooting the Bergers right now with good results. Any other ones I should be looking at?

Re: 180gr 7MM bullets

You can compare in JBM using the Litz numbers. In 7mm 180's, Bergers are king... JLK isn't too far behind though. Opposite if we were talking 6.5mm 140's.

I dont know what Bryan Litz came up for on bc's on those but the thing you have to keep in mind it is that berger has to mass produce there bullets where with the JLK's they are made one at a time with a person involved in every process.

I by no means am say that bergers are bad bullet becuase they simply are great bullets but a smaller operation like JLK will have better quality control just by the nature of the operation.

JLK's stuff shoots better in my 30 cals than the Bergers do. I shoot a lot more AMAX than either JLK or Berger though because they are more affordable.

The JLK 180 LBT VLD in 7mm is an AWESOME long range bullet. Order them early and in large quantities. If for some reason you can't make them shoot I'm sure someone will take them off your hands. I think the JLK has a higher tested BC as well, but I do know it's claimed at over .73

ETF: The 180gr VLD JLK 7mm bullet has an average G1 that's about 10 points under the Berger twin. The shapes are almost identical.

Yeah, I would shoot the AMAXs but they stopped shooting out of my rifle. Really odd for it to go from a 1/4" gun to a 4-5" gun with the 162 AMAXs. But the Bergers still shoot like a champ though with a .140 thou jump to the lands. I have read Brians findings about the JLKs vs Bergers but I guess I was just wondering if someone else find it to be the same as well.

JLK makes some nice bullets, their 6.5mm 140 VLD has a BC that is WAY higher than anything else. Shoot it out of a 260 and you'll better your friend's 6.5-284 ballistics if he's running the 139 Lapuas or similar. JLK's 7mm 180 doesn't have an advantage in ballistics though.

JBM Std. Conditions:

7mm Berger 180 VLD (Litz) 2900 fps., 1000 yards: -263" (drop) 58.6" (10 MPH wind)
    7mm JLK 180 VLD (Litz)* 2900 fps., 1000 yards: -265.8" (drop) 60.2" (10 MPH wind)
    *listed as BTHP by error

They are equal, in practical terms. It really comes down to price, availability and how well they shoot in your rifle. A lot of my best groups at 1k have been with Sierras and they have lower BCs and worse consistency than either of the above. Plus they cost less and are easier to get.

JLK's listed BCs are only computer predictions, I believe.

I am just about to load up some 180 bergers, been shooting 180 JLK, my latest has been the 168 JLK at 3120fps. 162 a-max has always shot well for me. Been reading that the 180 bergers were great... I am gonna try 'em out too

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffl medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cauteruccio bullets. </div></div>

+1!!! If you can get him on the phone to take an order that is!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffl medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cauteruccio bullets. </div></div>

Got any contact information? I tried looking on the net and couldn't find a website let alone a phone number. I have heard a lot of good things about the Cauteruccio bullets, but haven't seen too many people using them. I think he has a 176 and a 190gr 7mm bullet? And any idea on pricing or if a 190 will stabilize in a 9 twist barrel? I don't want to waste his time and mine if the bullets are crazy expensive.

I am also interesting Wildcat bullets, but, they just got bought out and the new owners are moving the operation to the US. From what I hear, they are also suppose to have some very high BC bullets as well.

I thik he recommends a 1/8 twist for his 190's

and he has since changed from making 176's to filling up the jacket all the way now to 180 grains.

When you call Bob do so AFTER 3:00pm PACIFIC TIME he (actually his wife - a nice person too) will generally not answer the phone before that time.

JeffVN

Ordered some JLKs. Looks like the Bergers are on back order right now.

Litz has the Bergers at .637BC.

Blaine and Swampy have the JLK's at .735.

There's a big difference between those two numbers at 1000+.

Does anyone have a tested and accurate BC for the JLK's that works with Exbal or FFS?

Anyone tried the Berger 180 Hybrids? BC .674...Going to try them this next weekend hopefully.

I've run the Hybrids out to 1740yd now from a 280 Rem and a 7/300 WSM.

They shoot very well and they tolerate a jump much better than the VLD sibling. The BC has been verified by Bryan Litz's methods, when using station pressure and temperature I got very repeatable numbers all the way up to the 1740yd I mentioned above.

I just finished working up a load for one of my 284s. Shooting the 180 JLKs with Rl- 17 powder. It shoots lights out. Great numbers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just finished working up a load for one of my 284s. Shooting the 180 JLKs with Rl- 17 powder. It shoots lights out. Great numbers. </div></div>

52g of RL 17?

Shooting 54.8 grs of Rl-17. Started at 51 grs and worked up. At 55.2 the bolt got stiff and back it off. No signs at weight.