• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1847y - just a bit to far for the 6xc

The_AKD

Private
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2010
Anyone here try shooting a bit of distance out of your bullets sonic range? what kind of observations did you make?

my bullet should go sub sonic around 1400yards.

I shoot a custom built 6xc. very accurate rifle. Streched it out to 1847yards to day with no luck. It was windy so the shot was tuff to start. After 6 rounds I gave up. I probally should have walked out to the target for a look but .... Im sure it was a miss. The program I used was bullet flight and its usually pretty good. first shot of the day at 923yards was bang on with it.

Ill show some pictures because we all love pictures and I dont post here enough not to.

Here is a photo of a 3 rd group at 1089yards *my gps is about 4" in height - the hit on the top right was a first shot for ranging. not part of the group*
[img:left]https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p...oto1.JPG?psid=1[/img]

Here is a 15 round group at 110yards * dont mind the 2 flyers... ill blame my self for that*
[img:left]https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p...oto3.JPG?psid=1[/img]

And this is where I shoot.
[img:left]https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p...oto2.JPG?psid=1[/img]

Hope you all have a good day !

Re: 1847y - just a bit to far for the 6xc

I think you might find it difficult to connect with your target. I believe the bullet path becomes very erratic once it goes subsonic. I've heard some descriptions of big spirals and lots of yaw with certain rounds. It would be pretty amazing if you could pull it off...being 400+ yards beyond going subsonic. I wouldn't want to be any where near that target....being it's flight path isn't predictable.

Let us know if you connect with the target.

Wayne

It is largely bullet dependent, I hear that the 115 DTACs go through without issue but I haven't tested it myself.

My 30-06 with 208 Amax's was running across Mach 1.0 around 1450yd and I had no trouble keeping the vertical spread under ~ 1 MOA at 1740yd last year. The wind whooped up on me pretty good though with the dirt splashed being about 3-4 MOA across.

The best way to find out is to just try it.

yup... here is a hit at 1790 yards with the 6mm Crusader with 105 Amaxes.

going about 1083 fps with about 273 ft-lbs of energy left.

took 60.25 MOA to get there.

took 4 shots to walk it in with spotters help. Found bullet laying right in front of steel.. GRIN

Me and PGS in back of steel. See Pat's hat and how the wind is blowing
smile.gif

100_09281.jpg

Cinch in background picking up "close ones"
100_09272.jpg

Cinch with 375AM 350 SMK, 338LM 250 Scenar and 308WIN 155 scenar
100_09241.jpg

Shooting position at horizon above snow bank in middle
100_0925.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Senderofan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you might find it difficult to connect with your target. I believe the bullet path becomes very erratic once it goes subsonic. I've heard some descriptions of big spirals and lots of yaw with certain rounds. It would be pretty amazing if you could pull it off...being 400+ yards beyond going subsonic. I wouldn't want to be any where near that target....being it's flight path isn't predictable.

Let us know if you connect with the target.

Wayne </div></div>

I don't have specific numbers, but I tried pushing my .338 Win Mag to 1240 yards with run of the mill crappy green and yellow box Remington 338 ammo. At that distance, the guy spotting for me could see the trace doing rotor blade size circles on it's way in the general direction of my target. The bullet had destabilized, making hits highly unlikely. Was good for a laugh though