• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

185 gr Hornady FTX .45 ACP Bullet

RLinNH

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2019
Has anyone ever loaded these? I believe that they were marketed as "Critical Defense" while they were being sold by Hornady. I purchased 1500 of these bullets as I got them at a bargain price. They are the green tipped ones that were sold as a gimmick under the "Zombie Killer" moniker. Anywho, neither my 9th, 10th, or 11th edition has any load data on this product. What worries me is the COL of the cartridge seeing as the tip of the bullet is one of those plastic laminates. Has anyone here ever loaded a cartridge with this bullet? If so, mind sharing your load data? I am just looking to use these as range day shooters. Thanks in advance!!!

It looks like they loaded them with the shoulder transition just out of the case, which is pretty standard for any 45 acp round because you are always trying to get them to feed like ball. You could also call them. I'm sure they'd have info.

DB6204DF-DED4-43AE-A80D-E19C1EA56373.jpeg
Here’s a pic of the bullet in question…

I just got off the phone with Hornady. Wow that was awesome!!! I didn't know that they had support like that for reloaders (thank choid (y) ). Anywho, my direction is to go with the COL from the 185 gr XTP, start at the lower end of the spectrum, and go from there.

...the cannelure is also a good reference point for seating depth if you don't have a reloading manual handy. Be careful with your crimp if you do crimp, the .45ACP headspaces off the case mouth.

Damn, good find. I would love to find a deal on some of those.
I just did a search for ya. Midway is out. From the conversation that I had via phone with Hornady, they were produced just for Midway and they sold them in bulk boxes off 500. I found them by accident a few years ago and purchased 2 boxes of 500. Time to send them all down range...