• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 1858 Remington New Army

thendric

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2008
Alabama
Inherited Great Grandfather's pistol. He was a Hall from west central Illinois. Tended horses for Roosevelt's Rough Riders. Pistol is in pretty fair shape. I completely disassembled it for well needed and well deserved cleaning. All was well except nipples are frozen in the cylinder. Have had the cylinder soaking in industrial strength penetrating oil for 2 months. Have broken 3 different nipple wrenches. Anyone know where I might get a wrench that is made for the pistol so it fits well and is made of something stronger than pot metal? Any guidance on freeing the nipples or should I leave them be...?

Re: 1858 Remington New Army

Give John Spangler at www.oldguns.net a shout. He's more of a rifle guy but if he doesn't have the fix he can surely point you in the right direction. Tell him Doc from VA Beach sent you.

Cheers,

Doc