• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1884 Springfield Trapdoor 45/70 GOVT

Boydo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Washington, IL
I know its not technically a "vintage sniper rifle" but its definitely vintage. Just bought a 1884 springfield trapdoor 45/70. Not real familiar with these and just beginning my research. Its serial 111058 and no cartouches on the stock. Any info about my new rifle would be awesome. Anybody here collect these?

Last edited:
I don't collect, but a bit familiar. Pictures would definitely help. Cartouche may be very hard to see... or worn off. But if it is a Springfield, there should be one somewhere.

Great shooters, but don't use 'modern' loads. When I say "modern" loads, I mean smokeless rounds that are designed for either Marlin or Winchester or Browning or Harrington and Richardson rifles that are modern and made for these modern rifles. These are available off the shelf from Rem/Win and maybe Fed.

That said, there are modern loads specifically made for Springfield Trapdoors and other BP cartridge rifles. Trapdoors are OK with smokeless powders IF very specific loading rules are followed. There are some good online sites or the old Speer reloading manuals specifically list some smokeless loads to replicate the original .45/70 BP loads. For those that don't know, .45/70 stood for .45 Caliber and 70 Grains of Black Powder. It was not a Smokeless powder rifle... but can use smokeless if loaded right and to specific guidelines. I have some loads if you need me to look up.

BP Cartridge shooting has gotten very popular. I have a Sharps BP Cartridge rifle that I love. Nothing wrong with loading BP cartridges for this rifle, but your cleaning regimen is much more rigorous. You will need to clean IMMEDIATELY after shooting if you load up some BP or Pyrodex (substitute) loads.

Again, Pictures, Pictures, Pictures. As much because I love looking at TD Springfields as anything. But this will be helpful. It's almost impossible to go wrong with one of these in good shooting condition. IMHO, I think they are very under-appreciated.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
image_zpsb4235f58.jpg

Sorry for the bad lighting. All i had was a cell phone. Overall i thing the gun is in very good condition. But, as i start to learn more, im beginning to question whether it is actually a model 1884. The sights dont seem to be right. I am starting to think it may be a model 1873 with a model 1884 breach block. Anybody know?

Nice looking antique precision rifle. Have been looking at them for years but have yet to pull the trigger so to speak or actually have never pulled the trigger and shot one either. Theres a shop down the road that has a 73 and a 84 but dont really know enough about them to make a good decision. Or dont know if they would get enough use for the cash investment. Did get a 1873 Winchester from there recently for "too cheap to pass up". Oh BTW 1st post for me so Howdy to everyone.

After getting some info from a very knowledgable fellow in las vegas i now know that what i have is actually a 1873 model manufactured in the 3rd quarter of 1879. Everything is correct except the breechblock. This gun was redone at the armory before the spanish american war. That was most likely when the breechblock was replaced and the cartouches were sanded off the stock. Still a really cool rifle. Has a beautiful bore and i cant wait to shoot it

Reactions: camocorvette
Not an 1884. I think you are on the right track with it being an 1873 with a later breech block. Rifles went through the arsenal for rebuild and got current production replacement parts. The 1884 would have a Buffington rear sight and an integral rod bayonet. At least mine does. AG