• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1891 Argentine rebuild

Charles Huse

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2020
Dallas
I have recently acquired an 1891 Argentine Mauser that suffered thru a house fire. The steel parts need to be cleaned, but otherwise appear to be intact and functional. What I need is a fresh stock to replace the one that was lost. My understanding of the caliber is that it is very similar to the .308 (7.65x53mm vs. 7.62x51mm) so my question is are there any .308 stocks will fit with minor modification? Any modern stock kits for the 91 Argentine?

1. I wouldn’t shoot a gun that’s been through a fire; I’d be very worried about barrel and action temper resulting in it blowing up in my face. Especially with 130-year-old materials technology.

2. 1891 Argentine stocks are few and far between, these days. You can occasionally find one at Liberty Tree Collectors (https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewcategories.asp?idCategory=38) or on eBay. This is partially because the 1891 does NOT have the strength or gas handling that the 1898 Mausers are famous for, and as such, people are much less interested in shooting them.

3. No, a generic 308 stock won’t work, nor will a generic Mauser stock. In general, other than the Remington 700 with its plethora of clones, an action will need its unique inletting cuts in the stock in order to fit and function.