• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1898 Mauser

SQ54

Former Chemtrail Spreader
Minuteman
  • Jul 24, 2021
    Texas
    There was no thread dedicated to Mausers so I thought I would create one. If you have a Swede, please put it here as well.

This is one of mine.
    F1FD8AF6-D496-4A89-83E1-355C889BAC43.jpeg
    4C6A0362-62A8-44E1-B5B5-2F3AE6B73F6D.jpeg
    CB2A4F1F-A7BF-4F7B-91D3-50CCC43EC72A.jpeg

This is a Mark X in .30-06, Douglas barrel, McMillan stock, Leupold 3-9x40, EGW 20 moa rail.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
    The mark X make great hunting guns except for possibly long ranges, as the lock time and accuracy are not up to modern in most/many cases. I have a bunch of Mausers, my primary guns for hunting.

Reactions: 1bonspy and SQ54
    There was no thread dedicated to Mausers so I thought I would create one. If you have a Swede, please put it here as well.

This is one of mine.
    View attachment 7739321View attachment 7739322View attachment 7739323
    This is a Mark X in .30-06, Douglas barrel, McMillan stock, Leupold 3-9x40, EGW 20 moa rail.

Edited for clarity.
    That's amazing. No Mauser threads on a site about precision riflery and such. The Mauser 98 is easily the most important bolt action ever produced. Thanks for starting this thread.

Ted

The mark X make great hunting guns except for possibly long ranges, as the lock time and accuracy are not up to modern in most/many cases. I have a bunch of Mausers, my primary guns for hunting.
    Isn’t that what a sniper rifle is? A dangerous game rifle?
    8EE63B3E-A64D-4D3B-9BF4-87676C18C740.jpeg

(not my rifle)

Mausers are accurate by design. Pillars are incorporated as part of the action. This was done pre-1898, something that wasn’t generally done on other rifles until the 1980’s, almost 100 years later. The cross bolt is also part of the design and should be retained. The lock time is fast enough and contributes to positive ignition on the battlefield in harsh conditions. It is a crf action, as are the 1903 Springfield, Winchester M70, Remington M30, etc. It is strong by design. I could go on, but let’s just say that it set the standard.

Last edited:
    That's amazing. No Mauser threads on a site about precision riflery and such. The Mauser 98 is easily the most important bolt action ever produced. Thanks for starting this thread.

Ted
    I agree. They’ve read too many gun writers bad mouth it. Damning with faint praise has been the MO of many.

Reactions: 1bonspy
    I have an Israeli Mauser... Yes, you read that right....

It's chambered in 7.62N. It's ugly as sin. And it shoots great even with the original iron sights. They were assembled the the early 1950's with new FN manufactured receivers and barrels, and a bunch of miscellaneous pieces from surplussed WW2 German Mausers. It's interesting to own a Mauser with Hebrew writing on the barrel and WW2 German Waffenamt stamps on the floor plate, mag well, and some other pieces.

I have an Israeli Mauser... Yes, you read that right....

It's chambered in 7.62N. It's ugly as sin. And it shoots great even with the original iron sights. They were assembled the the early 1950's with new FN manufactured receivers and barrels, and a bunch of miscellaneous pieces from surplussed WW2 German Mausers. It's interesting to own a Mauser with Hebrew writing on the barrel and WW2 German Waffenamt stamps on the floor plate, mag well, and some other pieces.
    Pictures?

I'll have to dig it out of the safe and take some pics.

I've had the Izzy for 25 years. They were first imported in the early 1990's and you could get them for under $100.
    They've shown up on the market recently but they are in the $600-$800 range, and really rough condition. They've become somewhat of a collectors item lately (what Mauser hasn't?)

Here's a good link for the history:

I've had the Izzy for 25 years. They were first imported in the early 1990's and you could get them for under $100.
    They've shown up on the market recently but they are in the $600-$800 range, and really rough condition. They've become somewhat of a collectors item lately (what Mauser hasn't?)

I’ve read a little about them. I am no Mauser expert, but I am a fan. I look forward to seeing your pics.

Ted

Actually there are Ted in the Vintage Sniper Rifles forum. Just search for 1903 Springfield, one of the greatest bolt action rifles ever made next to the K98.

The funny part, I do not think many people even know that is based off of the 1893 Mauser design used in the 1898 Spanish-American war.

Actually there are Ted in the Vintage Sniper Rifles forum. Just search for 1903 Springfield, one of the greatest bolt action rifles ever made next to the K98.

The funny part, I do not think many people even know that is based off of the 1893 Mauser design used in the 1898 Spanish-American war.
    Based on the Mauser??? It's a straight up copy with some very slight modifications so the US Army could claim "it's not a Mauser" and avoid any licensing headaches with Mauser. The Spanish American War was the reason we adopted the the 1903 Springfield. The Army was completely out-classed with the horrible 30-40 Krag-Jorgensen (Springfield Model 1892-99) equipping our soldiers, and the Army brass took notice of the weapon used against us.

Reactions: camocorvette
    I have been sporterizing Mausers for 56 years.

Attachments

• Mule doe 6.5-06 120 gr NBT Dumoulin Mauser 6.5-06 with Shilen select match 8in ratchet  10-26-...jpg
      Mule doe 6.5-06 120 gr NBT Dumoulin Mauser 6.5-06 with Shilen select match 8in ratchet 10-26-...jpg
      200.8 KB · Views: 78
    • husqvarna Mauser 6.5-06 20201012_182821.jpg
      husqvarna Mauser 6.5-06 20201012_182821.jpg
      72.2 KB · Views: 81
    • 260rem 1903 turk mauser Bartlein timney wiesner 20210720_202146.jpg
      260rem 1903 turk mauser Bartlein timney wiesner 20210720_202146.jpg
      68.3 KB · Views: 88
    Reactions: camocorvette
    What’s a good source for a mostly inleted, shaped but unfinished walnut stock for a yugo M48?

I also want to trade out the garbage factory sights. un-soldering the factory sights and soldering on new ones doesn’t sound super difficult but finding iron sights intended for actual aiming is proving difficult. Any suggestions?

That is a Remington #3, but it is about 0.025” (0.685” at the muzzle) on the fat side. That is about the same size that Remington normally uses for .30-06 and most other standard calibers on the 700. It is chrome moly. When I ordered the stock from McMillan, I specified that contour and supplied them with the measurements of all Remington contours.

Last edited:
    What’s a good source for a mostly inleted, shaped but unfinished walnut stock for a yugo M48?

I also want to trade out the garbage factory sights. un-soldering the factory sights and soldering on new ones doesn’t sound super difficult but finding iron sights intended for actual aiming is proving difficult. Any suggestions?
    This:

As for iron sights, try https://www.brownells.com/
    This https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/mauser-98-rear-sight-prod105936.aspx might work for you.

Edited: corrected link

Last edited:
    I agree. They’ve read too many gun writers bad mouth it. Damning with faint praise has been the MO of many.
    Gunwriters, What a mess, some are really good, know their business and ours. Tied down by having to please the advertisers but do their best to report facts they have observed though actual testing.

Some others have actually handled a firearm, handled i said, did not say shot a firearm, just handled.

The rest, I am not sure they even know what a firearm is, just copy some words they found somewhere on the internet.

Question? Ever see a gun test where the firearm did not shoot MOA or better? Most gun testers put ten shots in one hole. For that, I can excuse, can’t make the advertisers mad.

Controlled Round Feed, aka Mauser 98, the finest action for a game rifle ever devised. Not bad at all for any other use.

Last edited:
    I don't know about sniper rifles, but I've had a few '98s. Numbering down to screws I always thought was silly but it's a nice touch, I guess.

IMG_20211118_185458932.jpg

IMG_20211118_185544983.jpg

IMG_20211118_185525642.jpg

IMG_20211118_185612339.jpg

Reactions: SQ54
    Another Mauser conversion.
    24/47 Serbian, 1/4" shorter than full 98. Original 8mm barrel, shortened to 20.5" with relocated front sight. Williams peep sight. Barrel drilled and tapped with custom machined scope base. Original stock cut down and sanded out. Timney trigger . New bolt handle. Ceracoated.
    1637291687430.png

1637292146133.png

Well, I like my Mausers, particularly FN Commercials

.257 Roberts walking / stalking rifle

Y0JT5f4.jpg

Cejkwlg.jpg

9.3 x 62 Piggie gun

yH7rTaC.jpg

and a close up of the action:
    NeGBylh.jpg

And I can't find a picture of my .404 Jeff

(My .223 is a CZ527 which is a mini-mauser derrivative and my 7x64 is on a Mausingfield... You could say I like Mausers....)

"Beanfield" / range rifle in 7x64 on a Mausingfield

FcqpKps.jpg

CZ527

GBtguyz.jpg

• Love
    Based on the Mauser??? It's a straight up copy with some very slight modifications so the US Army could claim "it's not a Mauser" and avoid any licensing headaches with Mauser. The Spanish American War was the reason we adopted the the 1903 Springfield. The Army was completely out-classed with the horrible 30-40 Krag-Jorgensen (Springfield Model 1892-99) equipping our soldiers, and the Army brass took notice of the weapon used against us.

The US had to pay Mauser $1 per rifle by court order until about 1917 when UNcle Sam said fuck your patent.

I do think the US bolt release more pleasing than the block of steel bolted to the side of the receiver.

Broke my heart but my 48 year marriage was more important. Saw two 98’s, both custom, one in .35 Whelen for $350.00 and one in .257 Roberts for $399.99. The Whelen needed some serious refinishing, maybe a needing a new barrel, the Roberts looked ready to go. Still, had no need for another hunting rifle, much less two. However, the price sure was enticing and the rifles did not look that bad especially considering the money.

This year's Mauser was a 1903 Turk in 260 Remington throated out to 3.1" AOL.
    I had to make a throater holder for the Bartlein barrel I shortened both ends and re tapered.

I have killed deer with Mausers I converted in 7mmRemMag and 6.5-06.

Attachments

• 260 turk half inch group 20211021_102308.jpg
      260 turk half inch group 20211021_102308.jpg
      158.6 KB · Views: 40
    • Turk 260 deer 20211025_164301.jpg
      Turk 260 deer 20211025_164301.jpg
      322 KB · Views: 38
    • throating 260 rem 20210804_192335.jpg
      throating 260 rem 20210804_192335.jpg
      105.1 KB · Views: 47
    Reactions: 1bonspy and SQ54
    I realize I'm late to this party, but I'm here because I'm actually getting around to finishing my Mauser project I started years ago.
    I've got an FN Herstal 98 Mauser, bbl in 30-06. The sporter stock it was in deserved to be saved as it's actually walnut, so I stuck it in an Archangel composite stock. Which I like due to the nice cheek piece and the extendable butt as I have gorilla arms. Plus, it reminds me of the stocks on the AI sniper rifle I used in the military and then paramilitary service. I recently added a Sig Sauer BDX 2.0 system to it so that I might relive my old glory days, even with all the deficiencies in my eyes. LOL!
    1bonspy

Broke my heart but my 48 year marriage was more important. Saw two 98’s, both custom, one in .35 Whelen for $350.00 and one in .257 Roberts for $399.99. The Whelen needed some serious refinishing, maybe a needing a new barrel, the Roberts looked ready to go. Still, had no need for another hunting rifle, much less two. However, the price sure was enticing and the rifles did not look that bad especially considering the money.
    Recognizing the lateness of this, but wanting to acknowledge your interest in your marriage over firearms. I have been in similar situations and made the same decision.
    I've known my wife since we were in high school together, 48 years ago. While we've not been married as long as you have, we do have the same kind of trust in each other.
    In my case, I'm a disabled combat veteran and if it weren't for my wife, I'd be dead, literally. I owe my life to her so the least I can do is be honest with her. Good for you.
    1bonspy

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick

2grim4u,
    What an amazing story that was to read! Thank you for sharing it with us.
    I have an FN Herstal Mauser 98 that I've been turnoff into a more modern rifle and so far, so good. It's hard to go wrong with a Mauser action.
    Anyway, thank you again for the story.
    1bonspy