• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 190 grainers in my remington 1 in 12 twist barrel

mp45acp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2008
behind enemy lines, so.cal.
I am looking at getting more range out of my 26" barrel .308 remington 700. 1000+yards

I shoot 168s and 175s now almost exclusively.
I like the 175s but want to push the limits a bit more, especially with my long ass barrel.

I have been eyeballing the 190 grainers, but was told my 1 in 12 twist rate 26" barrel wont stabilize the heavier 190 grainers very well.

Any truth to this?

Re: 190 grainers in my remington 1 in 12 twist barrel

It will be just fine. Lots of shooters use 208s and 210s out of 1-12" twist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Belisarius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will be just fine. Lots of shooters use 208s and 210s out of 1-12" twist. </div></div> + 1

M1A, 22-inch cheap ArmsCorp med-heavy match barrel 1:12 twist shot 'em just fine at something like only 2450 fps.

Have a new barrel now and my son shot up the last of the 190s in his Remmie 700 w/factory barrel. That one stabilized 'em fine too.

Don't know it until you try it. My Remy didn't do so well with the 190 grains. My AIAW can stabilize the 208 grains AMAX. Both have the same twist (1:12"). Go figure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know it until you try it. My Remy didn't do so well with the 190 grains. My AIAW can stabilize the 208 grains AMAX. Both have the same twist (1:12"). Go figure. </div></div>

I'm think 1:12 is right on the ragged edge of static stability. A difference in velocity or a difference in the actual twist or a combination of both may have consequence here. I would measure the twist rates in both barrels as accurately as possible and I would measure the MV out of booth barrels with the same load. One would expect the Remy here creates a lower MV and/or may have a twist that may be a little slower than 1:12. Or the AIAW may have a twist that is a little faster than 1:12.