• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

1903 Springfield

Cm308

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2018
I have a 1903 Springfield that someone had the receiver drilled for scope mounts and had the stock cut down, so I assume it has little value as a collectable. I would like to rebarel it and perhaps find a good stock for it. Who makes barrels for this relic?

Criterion makes excellent barrels for them that are short chambered and ready for sight installation. The 1903 is a bit more work than the 03-A3 but it can be done. The CMP custom shop can do the work, and also supply the new barrel and stock if you wish.

I had them do an M1917 for me with a new Criterion barrel and it is an exceptional shooter.

Reactions: Cm308
That is a perfect example of an historic rifle to use for a custom.

Criterion makes good barrels as long as you want them in 30-06. It would be kinda fun to get one in .257, 6.5 .270 or 7mm and make a sporter out of that.

The big issue for most is the acme threads. A little different tooling to cut them than a standard v-type thread. Not too expensive, just a different set-up.

There are a number of gunsmiths who can do that without a problem though. If not they would know who to ask.

Not sure why being D&T and stock cut down indicates needing a new barrel?? Just curious.

Its not that expensive to bring it back to service rifle configurations. I would consider it. You can always go custom but going back to a traditional config is getting harder every year.

Not sure why being D&T and stock cut down indicates needing a new barrel?? Just curious.
The barrel is in really rough condition rusted and barely any rifling. I didn't include that information in the original post. The rifle basically sits there and collects dust so I figured I would try and so something to get some use out of it.

White Oak is making 03 barrels also.

I havent heard much on them but I expect they are premium.

What serial number range is the receiver? If it is Springfield Armory below 800,000 or a Rock Island Arsenal under 285,507 I wouldn’t bother...single treated springfield class c steel and not recommended to shoot. Everything you could ever want to know about that subject is in Hatcher’s Notebook... there are electronic copies on the net.

If it is a Remington it was manufactured with nickel steel and safe from a materials standpoint.

I wouldn’t spend another dime without making this determination.

Last edited:
Reactions: Basher
What serial number range is the receiver? If it is Springfield Armory below 800,000 or a Rock Island Armory under 285,507 I wouldn’t bother...single treated springfield class c steel and not recommended to shoot. Everything you could ever want to know about that subject is in Hatcher’s Notebook... there are electronic copies on the net.

If it is a Remington it was manufactured with nickel steel and safe from a materials standpoint.

I came here to say this! Verify before spending any money on it!

It will take about a year from the time you ask to the time your gun is done for the CMP to re-barrel you rifle. They do good work but I just got back two garands that took close to a year each.

What serial number range is the receiver? If it is Springfield Armory below 800,000 or a Rock Island Armory under 285,507 I wouldn’t bother...single treated springfield class c steel and not recommended to shoot. Everything you could ever want to know about that subject is in Hatcher’s Notebook... there are electronic copies on the net.

If it is a low serial number and you want to sell it, PM me. I have a buddy who makes 22lr out of these, he may be interested. No reason for a low serial# to go to waste.

This one was produced in 1903. It's a mess for sure. I rebuilt a transmission for an older gentleman and he couldn't afford to pay me. I knew that going in but he insisted I take this instead of payment. I just put it in the safe years ago. I probably will just clean it up and make a wall hanger.
002.JPG

Reactions: sandwarrior
This one was produced in 1903. It's a mess for sure. I rebuilt a transmission for an older gentleman and he couldn't afford to pay me. I knew that going in but he insisted I take this instead of payment. I just put it in the safe years ago. I probably will just clean it up and make a wall hanger.View attachment 7010849

It would be a more fitting tribute to this rifle to make it into a 22 than a wall hanger. I am currently looking for an early one to do this with.

Reactions: FatBoy