• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1903 with scope bases at local shop

vortexyz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2018
Hey All,

Need to know if I found something good. Perusing the local used rack today and they have a row of 1903s. I immediately see that one has a c stock and picked it up and it looks like it has scope bases for the Unertl. It’s priced the same as the others, so I figured I’d see if you all think it’s something I need to run out and grab right now.

The barrel looked fantastic and the bore gauged less than 1. It had some cool stock marks I hadn’t seen before: A.H.A on the left side palm which the guy said was a U.S. Embassy marking. It also has a high standard barrel, so guessing it was arsenal refinished.

Bases:
IMG_1715.jpeg

Serial Number: 1405810

Been looking to get into vintage sniper matches for a while now, so if this is a good fit let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you so much for the kind words. It is very much appreciated. I really like this forum because I'm learning a lot off you guys. I mostly have always stopped at 1966, so I've been reading all your guys posts on the newer rifles and learning a lot of new material. :)

When I first started to research Marine 03's, it was common held belief that AHA was a Marine inspector stamp. I have no idea where that thought originated from, but there was never any evidence I found of that marking being Marine. So that is probably where that gentleman makes the comment of it being an Embassy marking. But that I know is not correct. The true meaning of the AHA is probably to one of the countless Ordnance rebuild facilities or inspectors that have been lost to time. Everytime I dig in the archives I find new locations I have never heard of and I have no real doubt it belongs to one of those locations. But the AHA has never shown any real connection to the Marines.

The blocks on this rifle are a later style than the standard O & E Unertl 03 Blocks and more the kind I see in say the 60's and up. They would mount an Unertl scope just fine, but they are not the correct style for an authentic Unertl Sniper build. The front block also looks more forward on the barrel than they normally do. They are usually placed at 7.2'' spacing for the click adjustment increments at known ranges, of the scopes of the day. This one sort of looks like the front block is more forward than that and the spacing might be over 7.2''. But it might be the pic, or it's possible since the handguard has been sanded way more than they normally are, it makes it appear that way.

The High standard barrels are usually known as really good barrels, and I've always heard they are really accurate. So as long as the fitment of that stock is good, I bet that rifle can really shoot.

Also I should add, the 1.40 range is known by many collectors as a good NM range. But the polishing on that bolt does not look SA from the limited pic. The bolt looks like it was polished on a commercial buffing wheel and some areas look deformed because of it. Also the rails of the receiver do not look NM polished. Of course a HS barrel is not original to a NM, but I just thought I would mention it because some might see the polished bolt and instantly think it might be an original NM. If it ever was, it's been thru a full rebuild and erased the traits.

At one time a polished bolt was considered legit on an Unertl Sniper rifle. I'm sort of glad I was able to sway collectors away from that, because that is absolutely false. So I sort of think maybe someone was trying to make a Unertl clone of this rifle. Or maybe someone found a 03 with blocks on it and then decided to polished the bolt to make it look more like the accepted view of an Unertl sniper back then. Anything is possible.

I'm sure it probably crossed your mind wondering if it might be a legit Marine sniper but I'm sorry to say this one was built in the commercial market and does not show any traits of being a Marine rifle.

As long as that spacing isn't jacked up too much on those blocks, it would be a good candidate for the vintage sniper matches. Just make sure it's not a converted drill rifle. Look at the area around the mag cuttoff switch and look for areas that were welded.

I hope this helps some and if you have any questions just ask. :)

Last edited:
@cplnorton this helps a ton thanks! I figured it most likely was a clone and not an original, but knew this was the place to ask. I definitely checked to see if it was a drill rifle and it doesn’t appear to be.
The front block looked different than what I remember on a colleague’s vintage sniper build so that had me questioning if it would work (like you said it looks like wood around the front block was sanded much more than a usual example).

At 1400 bucks, they’ve got it listed a little to high for me to want to take a chance on it for vintage sniper just on the off chance it’s not a shooter and I’d still have to get the optic for it. I miss the days of those Gibbs Repro 03A4s for 995 with the repro glass! Still kicking myself for being a poor college kid when those came out and trying to be responsible.

Hey All,

Need to know if I found something good. Perusing the local used rack today and they have a row of 1903s. I immediately see that one has a c stock and picked it up and it looks like it has scope bases for the Unertl. It’s priced the same as the others, so I figured I’d see if you all think it’s something I need to run out and grab right now.

The barrel looked fantastic and the bore gauged less than 1. It had some cool stock marks I hadn’t seen before: A.H.A on the left side palm which the guy said was a U.S. Embassy marking. It also has a high standard barrel, so guessing it was arsenal refinished.

Bases:
View attachment 8245174

Serial Number: 1405810

Been looking to get into vintage sniper matches for a while now, so if this is a good fit let me know.

Thanks in advance!
More pics! 😁 😁

Head over to gunboards.com. A very active "surplus" forum. They live that stuff there. Barrel should also be dated.

Only thing I will say if it has the old Buffington site and you are "up there" in years you may play hell with irons....I just can't see them anymore.

Reactions: vortexyz
@cplnorton this helps a ton thanks! I figured it most likely was a clone and not an original, but knew this was the place to ask. I definitely checked to see if it was a drill rifle and it doesn’t appear to be.
The front block looked different than what I remember on a colleague’s vintage sniper build so that had me questioning if it would work (like you said it looks like wood around the front block was sanded much more than a usual example).

At 1400 bucks, they’ve got it listed a little to high for me to want to take a chance on it for vintage sniper just on the off chance it’s not a shooter and I’d still have to get the optic for it. I miss the days of those Gibbs Repro 03A4s for 995 with the repro glass! Still kicking myself for being a poor college kid when those came out and trying to be responsible.
Wish I could find one that cheap. They go for crazy money on gunbroker.

Buy it. Even if it is not a real issued target rifle it is probably a target rifle. 03's were competitive into the 60's because Garands and match grade M-14s were expensive and hard to come by. The C-stock is an all but impossible find in my area, I'd have bought it just for the stock.

Went back to take more pics today. Not sure if you guys can sleuth out any more details but here you go:
IMG_1733.jpeg
IMG_1732.jpeg
IMG_1731.jpeg
IMG_1729.jpeg
IMG_1730.jpeg

That stock is a 1940 SA made C stock. The holes in the right hand of the receiver are for the lyman 48 receiver sight. The rear sight is marked an R for Remington.

The AHA is much bigger that I usually see them. In fact, at one time a lot of fake Unertl Snipers were marked AHA., it was considered provenance of a "Real" rifle. I forget what book it was in, but it showed a fake rifle with that AHA marking. After that the AHA started to show up everywhere as provenance of a real rifle.

Also, when I look at that AHA, it doesn't strike me as it was stamped into the stock. It almost looks like it was burned or carved into the wood. The lettering isn't straight like a stamp and it sort of reminds of how I use to use a wood burner pen when I was kid to write on wood. Anyone else sort of get that feeling when they look at that AHA stamp? It looks really off to me.

To be honest with that AHA, and a polished bolt that I think someone def made outside of SA, I really think someone was trying to pass this off as a real Unertl sniper at one time. These traits were considered "Real" back before I started to release my research. So I saw a lot of rifles like this that were declared real by experts.

But to just show sort of a comparison. Here is a real one from the top.

nv8CfPEh.jpg

YrQqEZQh.jpg

@cplnorton

Is the “O” number n the selector switch cutout a Springfield mark?

I kind of thought Overton at first glance.

It’s a good looking stock not a fat Keystone.

Probably a greater shooter.

The 1.4 receiver is neat, looks real clean.

It’s not perfect, something’s detract, it’s a sub $1K rifle in my AO but they were made right in state so maybe we have a bit more to choose from in the market.

Reactions: vortexyz