• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1903A3 chambering?

eddybo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
MS
A buddy brought his grandpa's nice sporterized 03-A3 remington by the house tonight. He had asked me about it earlier wanting to know the caliber. I had told him I thought it was an 06 and would take a look at it if he brought it by.
I grabbed a 06 headspace gauge and it wouldn't close on the gauge. Tried an 06 ackley -.004 gauge no luck there either. I stuck a range rod down the muzzle and it is definately .30 caliber. Any idea what this is? I have no knowledge whatsoever of historical firearms and do not have a clue.

Re: 1903A3 chambering?

It should be a 30-06 unless someone has screwed with it. Time for a cerrosafe chamber cast and a trip to Cartridges of the World with a microcometer.

Thanks, kind of what I figured, but I am not going to cast it. I told them not to shoot it until they had someone who knew what they were doing take a look at it. (not like they could shoot an 06 round out of it without hammring the bolt closed)
I tried a 308 go gauge also...swallowed it. I do not know of any other .30 caliber rounds that it could be....unless it is just a very badly headspaced 30-06. I am thinking maybe the gun has been refinished as it has the best looking blueing I have ever seen and the sporterized wood stock looks very nice.
I am wondering if someone screwed a barrel off of another action on onto this one without headspacing it.

Had a friend bring in a very nice M1903A4 about ten years ago that would swallow the .30-06 go gauge. Took a closer look and saw that the chamber had been reamed to a .300 Win Mag. Just a thought.......