• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1903's: Where to buy?

earthquake

Area Man
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    As a former Jarhead who's obsessed with WWI Marine Corps history, I've been wanting a 1903 for along time, one in an original stock. It doesn't have to be a real original stock, but similar. Anyway, I own a couple of these rifles that I've mentioned on this site in the past. I was talked out by several knowledgeable folks, of turning these back to original form.

I own all the original metal but never found the original wood. My wife's granddad used these at Camp Perry in the 50's and 60's. They're historical on their own merit for that era. He passed in 2000 before I got to meet him unfortunately.

Quick recap for those that didn't see my other post about these, but granddad saved every single item from his days at Camp Perry. I have all his match books etc from the 50's to late 60's...even the one Carlos Hathcock won. I wish I could put this stuff in a museum and I even took it all to Camp Perry and showed it all to them, but they don't have a museum yet.

Back to my original request....where can I get a 1903 Springfield? Preferably one with mounts for my Unertl scope, with the original style stock?

20150628_101139 (2).jpg

I did take this 'beaut to the range recently and got her on steel at 300-yds.
    IMG_20200215_165722265.jpg

Watch the auctions.
    I think I have an original set of Unertl bases for a Springfield Sniper if you want them PM and I’ll check.

Reactions: earthquake
    You said you were obsessed by WW1 history and want one with the original stock so I assume you are looking for a WW1 era gun? Beware that there are different types of Springfield stocks ( S with grooves, S w/o grooves, C and scant) so I would do your homework before you buy one.

I collected C&R rifles for a long time and the best advice I ever received was “buy the book before you buy the gun”. The Bruce Canfield books are very good.

Thanks for all the info so far, fellas....much appreciated! Quick question....the bolt handles between the two rifles I have a slightly different. Can anyone shed light on what I have here?
    IMG_20201216_170422648.jpg

The one on top, with the more straight-ish handle is off the rifle with open Lyman(?) sights and a star-marked barrel. The one with the curved/beveled handle is off the one pictured above with the Unertl.

If the second one is a true A4 bolt it is worth some cash. Possibly a straight handle though so more likely scalloped outside the mil.

Every Marine should have an '03 is correct.

If you really want one you need one with a straight stock, perhaps with grasping grooves.

Marines were less enamored of the "C" stock though both mine have them as they are a bit more shooter friendly. Old Breed Marines were not pussies like me.

My girly man 03s and their fat younger brother.

GungnirNothungMjolnir.jpg

I know a place.....

Looks like a whole rack of 03s on the opposite side of this rack....

1608757221015.png

Wow @pmclaine ! Where's that?

*edit to add: I have a whole drawer full of original '03 hardware/parts. Like I've mentioned before, these rifles were bought by granddad after The War for around $15 (I have his receipts) and were "sporterized" for competition at Camp Perry. The only thing missing is the original wood. Since I've been talked out of reverting these back, and if I buy a complete rifle, what should I do with the old parts?

Or should I maybe buy an incomplete rifle and build it with the parts I have? I'm leaning on just finding the wood and putting the '03 I have (the one with just open Lyman sights in a left-hand stock) back to it's original form. Would rather not sell off all the original hardware. Decision, decisions....

Last edited:
    The CMP sells replacement wood for 03s but the fact your rifles are missing the rear sight base and would need re barrel - and more importantly they have history with your grandfather....dont change them.

That shop I sent a picture of has lots of 03s.

They are fun to shoot but they have their quirks. I might be nearing the point where my eyes limit my abilities to have them perform the way I want them to.

In order to shoot they way a member of the Hide would want them to you need to have an O'Hare sight micrometer - a tool that will likely run you a couple hundred dollars and time searching on EBay - not impossible to get.

That said I say you should still get one. Historically they give you a lot of appreciation of what the Old Breed accomplished with the tools of the time.

If you want to memorialize Marine use a straight stock would be your best option. You may even find a Marine rifle out there, they are not ultra rare, there are certain tells that indicate they were in use by the Marine Corps. I think the neatest of these is how the armorers in Philadelphia stippled smooth butt plates with an ice pick or similar tool to increase purchase with the shooters shoulder.

The Marines seemed to really try and perform modifications to increase the shooters ability, experimenting with sights and finishing more than the army seemed to.

As an aside....

Just took a second look at your picture.

The rear sight dovetail indicates your rifle was built on an A3 model Springfield.

The Marines saw no documented use of the A3 except for being issued some A4 toward the end of the War.

You should decide what you want 03 vs 03-A3.

A3 has the rear peep sight and is generally more shooter friendly. You will not need a sight micrometer.

03 is the first Springfield configuration with the rear sight base forward of the receiver mounted on the barrel.

The Marines fielded '03s.

Sorry to butt into this conversation but it got my attention as i have owned several 03s and 03A3s over the years . I also have some parts lying around. One thing excess to my needs is a 1903 stock in nice condition with all metal. I would be willing to trade for something i can use. Send me a PM if interested.
    Have a Happy New Year
    Rad

• Love
    Earthquake
    I didn’t find a PM. May not be looking in the right place.