• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1911 / 2011 Help

BoltRunner

Cold Bore
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2014
Oklahoma
Need some help advice on a 1911/2011 I have been out of this game for a while prob 7yrs+ sold all my steel frame pistols and I'm thinking of getting a nicer 1911/2011. I'm looking for something in the 3.25" - 5" Barrel range, double stack 45acp or 9mm, and I have been looking at either the Wilson Combat SFX9, Wilson Combat EDC X9, or the BUL Armory SAS II Tac. If you guys were to buy a nicer 1911/2011 and needed to stay under $3K what would you buy and why...?

How do you guys think the BUL Armory stack up to a Wilson, STI, or a Wesson... Is the BUL as good of quality or just a newer Gucci 1911...?

Bul Armory is Israeli. Been around making 1911s and 2011s on that side of the planet for a while now predominantly marketed towards competition shooting. They've only recently started making a push into the US Market.

Many choices available within that budget.

For 1911s, SA TRPs are hard to beat, but Dan Wesson makes a number of seriously well built 1911s as well. I have a DW Guardian in 9mm. Extremely well finished.

If you're possibly thinking of something a bit more modern- like a 2011, you'd do well to check out Staccato. I have both a C and a C2 Duo. (Optics ready on both.)

m

Reactions: BoltRunner
Right now I'm leaning:

Wilson Combat SFX9 4" Barrel
Bul Armory SAS II Tac Comp 4.25" Barrel
STI Staccato P 4.4" Barrel

Not necessarily in that order, I've had decent mid Range 1911's in the past Springfield, SIG, Kimber... Haven't had a 1911 in 7yrs+ so kinda wanting a higher end with a little more bling than my boring composite pistols I normally carry. I'd throw Nighthawk in the mix but $5k is too far right now

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
My wife has the new Wilson Combat SFX9 4” in addition to her Nighthawk 1911 9mm with 4” barrel. She loves them both.

FYI, Wilson Combat just announced the SFX9 5” in case you are interested.

I have a few .45 1911s from WC and NHC and "a few" STI/ Staccatos in 9mm, with no experience with WC's 2011-like offerings.

Since you are currently steering more toward the double-stack 9mm options, here are my feelings on the Staccato P 4.4 (I have one with iron signs and one with a red dot.

--They shoot really nicely.
--The gen 2 grip is fine, but I prefer a slightly more sculpted aftermarket grip frame--the other STIs have them, the Staccatos will at some point.
--Oddly, the one with the red dot has iron sights that impact a bit high, even though--I think--its identical to the other one without the RDS. It might need a new front sight, but so far I haven't chased down the solution.
--The current G2 and G3 magazines (with better springs and followers) are much better than the gen 1 mags. That said, between the OEM G2 and G3 ones I have, and the various aftermarket springs that are intended for the 126mm magazines, there are a dizzying array of possible solutions. During a class, I dropped a full magazine and ammo went everywhere. I'd like to hope that was just a random event and not indicative of the Staccato magazine.

I used the iron sight one in a 2 day class and had not issues, though I cleaned it on the night between--maybe 400 rounds for the first day and less the second. The week prior to the class I was able to shoot around 500 rounds though it with no issues and only oiled the frame until cleaning before the class. I realize this is neither a high round count nor a particularly stressful shooting schedule. But it functioned properly and was very accurate alongside all the normal pistols you'd see at a class. It did take some effort to convince the instructor to stop calling me STI guy.

I'm happy to expand on any aspect of STI/ Staccato ownership.

Last edited:
Wilson made great single stack 1911s. I am sure they still can, though I have seen a few pigs come out recently. I bought several of the x9s and was never that happy with them. The shape of the gun is weird, and they twist a lot in recoil, especially for a double stack 1911, which should be super soft shooting. I would avoid.

Alchemy makes really nice guns, though I have seen a couple of oddities in their pistols as well, but they are small and easily fixed. Aesthetically they are perfect, but I find you need to tune things like grip safety engagement (too much) and maybe the sear/hammer (a little creep.) One example had a really tight thumb safety. Each of these are fixed with a couple strokes of a file, and they are internal, so no huge deal.

If I lived in a free state (I'm in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia), I would love to try out the Staccato offerings....I actually I dream of staccatos. Behind enemy lines in California, my best 1911 is my Les Baer...very accurate shooter, easy to shoot, magical. I recently also stepped into the Nighthawk world. My new nighthawk is like 1A in the stable. Amazing pistol, but a little out of your price range.

Well worn Les Baers are gorgeous! Not my pic. See Olds442Guy at 1911 Addicts: https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/baer-utc-25k-round-write-up.32650/
kVXyCXJ.jpg

Les Baer does things his own way....no made in China here.

Reactions: Stoweit
I’ll prolly get flamed for this, but the most accurate 2011 I’ve ever owned/shot was a RI Tac Ultra .45 that I did some trigger massaging on.
That thing put holes in holes inside 20yds. May not be what your lookin for, but my experience was amazing.

I have a number of Wilson Combat 1911's, Nighthawks, and Kimber's. I prefer a Safariland Level 1 holster minimum, but leather
looks good if out on the town. The WC's Tactical Elite with heavy cone barrel profile are the bitch; shown are the government full size and commander "professional" size with Ed Brown bobbed grip profile (my preference for 1911 carry platforms). When available I prefer the Wilson G10 Starburst grips on all 1911's, although the wooden cocobolo's look nice. Regardless of the 1911 mfg., Wilson Combat magazines remain the industry standard for reliability; I like their tactical base base offering.

CIMG7949 copy.JPG
CIMG7952 copy.JPG
IMG_5300 copy.jpg
IMG_5305 copy.jpg
IMG_5307 copy.jpg
IMG_5310 copy.jpg
IMG_5313 copy.jpg
IMG_5337 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Good looking holster. Don't have any gator leather holsters. There are some big gators in the pond next door though.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Really appreciate all the info, opinions, and pics guys still haven't pulled the trigger yet starting to lean heavier to Staccato P... I see more guys running leather holsters on 1911/2011 pistols, all my composites I run kydex IWB/OWB holsters do you guys run leather as its easier on the finish of an expensive 1911/2011 or just more comfortable or...?

Really appreciate all the info, opinions, and pics guys still haven't pulled the trigger yet starting to lean heavier to Staccato P... I see more guys running leather holsters on 1911/2011 pistols, all my composites I run kydex IWB/OWB holsters do you guys run leather as its easier on the finish of an expensive 1911/2011 or just more comfortable or...?
I'm gonna assume aesthetics. At least for me. I did run hybrid holsters when carrying a 1911. Crossbreed mostly. They use Kydex for retention of the pistol and a leather backing for your skin. These are in the waistband.

I've used this before but I don't like drop leg rigs. This will work with almost any gun too.

IMG_4770.JPG

More IWBs.

This picture is for a For Sale ad I've yet to make. So...:D
IMG_0451.jpeg

The Staccato P has a DLC finish on the slide, that would take some serious time to show wear from kydex. The inside of my kydex holster is white and does leave marks, but they rub right off with flitz. If you opt for the aluminum frame version of the P it will be anodized.
IMG_20220303_092845.jpg

IMG_20220303_092859.jpg

Last edited:
All of mine are Kydex and most of those are with a QLS fork so I can buy more holsters than necessary and mix and match waist mounting options to my mood. Err, I mean, I can product test.

Also below, a picture regarding the array of spring options... I'm not entirely sure what purpose it serves other than to show the head-scratching I did when I set out to get a new springs for the Gen 2 and 3 magazines and upgrade the followers where needed/ wanted.

Staccato.jpg

STI Mag.jpg

I and my wife use holsters from Garrett Industries for all of our nicer handguns. The are Kydex with a layer of leather on the inside that is easy on the finish. We have several and they all work well.

I’m a fan of the Staccato P Duo. 2500 bucks was retail I think, add a red dot and you’re at your 3k limit. Shoots great, feels great and have had zero issue with mine shooting 115g and 124g. Nighthawk is nice, more expensive, I didn’t find the Wilson EDC 9 that comfortable to shoot.

The are Kydex with a layer of leather on the inside that is easy on the finish.
Plain Kydex holster constructions without the suede lining is a real firearm finish marring deal breaker.

The method to bond Kydex with leather was patented by Bill Rogers and licensed to Safariland holsters e.g. model 6378's. The Kydex in these thermo-laminate fabricated models was both abrasive and noisy, so the addition of leather lining the holsters was well-received.; the suede made the holsters more noise-discipline and better fitted. Check their website, as they are still popular and available. For the past several years, newest models of Safariland injection-molded holsters, (e.g. 7TS and GLS) construction employ proprietary SafariSeven nylon that is stronger, closer fitting and non-abrasive obviating the need for lining with leather; any scuffs on the exterior are removed with a simple microfiber cloth wipe down. I have a number of both the leather lined and a lot of newer ones and can recommend them all without reservations.
DSCN0372a copy.jpg

The WC's Tactical Elite with heavy cone barrel profile are the bitch
yes i had a Tac Elite a while back. awesome gun in every regard, fit & finish, ran like a machine. shoulda kept it but was selling off everything i wasn't using in uspsa/idpa/3gun/etc matches.

i gotta say though, for carry, i have a glock 43x. definitely not sexy at all, but it works, it fits, don't need a pinkie extension, and with the metal mags it packs 15+1.

That's the best carry gun imo. I have a 42, a 43X MOS, a 19, and this C2. The 19 is so much more carryable than the C2. You can do all the length and width measurements but somehow it just doesn't equate. Compared to a 19 the C2 is a big bitch. It's dry weight is 8 oz heavier. Everyone is like, "It shoots so well". Ya, because it's a heavy bitch. Not bad OWB but not optimum IWB and straight up painful AIWB like all the Instagram and Reddit "bois" like to carry

Don't know to what the reference of Instagram or Reddit Bois refers...

To describe AIWB as painful, you're running the wrong holsters and/or accessories, AIWB should really make carrying a bigger gun easier.

I carry a Wilson Combat 320 Carry, I've carried with my two AIWB systems while dry-fire practicing in my house in pajama bottoms, which is about as bad a way to carry a gun as can be, works fine... Sweatpants, gym shorts, dress pants, shirt tucked in, whatever... they've been excellent.

Belt or no belt as well, doesn't matter, my Tier One Aegis Elite has the UltiClips and the Enigma system is its own belt, you can literally wear that thing and walk around naked if you're feeling frisky.

I've found those to work so well I actually carry with the 21 round mags, and that C2 is about the exact same weight, magazine size aside.

I'm 6'1 176lbs so it isn't like I've got an extra innertube protecting me either.

It's possible you've just got the wrong body type, but I think it's far more probable you've got a holster issue.

Dan Wesson is the best bang for the buck right now.

Les Baer makes good 5" guns, but I wouldn't go shorter unless you plan on doing mods to the frame.

Wilson has always been overpriced in my opinion. Nighthawk or Alchemy would be my choice in that price range. I've not had a chance to shoot a new Staccato.

I'm 6' 3" 230lbs. No gut. Put your gun in your AIWB and bend over and put your shoes on. Then tell me it's more comfortable. Yeah it's not bad walking around your house or wearing your pajamas. It's getting in and out of your car or bending over to pick up things where it's uncomfortable. Having a 2011 beavertail digging into your abdomen and muzzle into your junk that's uncomfortable
You might want to try 5 Shot leather. No idea if he makes a 2011 AIWB holster, but I thought AIWB was terrible until I got one of his for a government size 1911. It is legitimately comfortable.

I am probably built like an 80% version of you.

I'm 6' 3" 230lbs. No gut. Put your gun in your AIWB and bend over and put your shoes on. Then tell me it's more comfortable. Yeah it's not bad walking around your house or wearing your pajamas. It's getting in and out of your car or bending over to pick up things where it's uncomfortable. Having a 2011 beavertail digging into your abdomen and muzzle into your junk that's uncomfortable
I'm not going to tell you how you should carry but for me, it took a couple different holsters and positions to get comfortable with AIWB. Now I couldn't imagine any other way. The gun never touches my junk. Bending over is an issue with the wrong holster placement.

you really need to shoot a staccato before you buy one. It isn’t the same buttery smooth/comfortable feel as a 1911. There are several hard edges between the grip, safety and trigger that were a disappointment to me. I have a few coworkers who have them, and lets just say I’m glad I shot theirs before blindly ordering one. It felt very “duty oriented” rather than comfortable/pleasant. But that’s its intended purpose, so it just depends on what you want.

When I was looking to replace my STI Lawman in 45 with a double stack 9mm, I ended up getting a CZ Shadow 2 Optics ready. Super comfortable, uses proven/reliable cz 75 mags, no grip safety, etc. It’s a real pleasure to shoot. However, its not a carry gun.
I switched mine to a SAO trigger. They also make the cz TSO, which comes with a nice SAO trigger from the factory. I like my shadow 2

Last edited:
This is my EDC. Colt 1991A1 in 45ACP that I have made some upgrades to over the years, for the purpose of making it more accurate and efficient to use.

I carry OWB in kydex. I don't care about finish wear, in fact I think it adds character and shows that it actually gets used. I carry it daily, I train with it, and I've shot some competition with it.

I was thinking about buying a Rock Island double stack 9mm, but once I actually got my hands on one in a store, I decided I really didn't like the way the grip felt.

20220226_165724.jpg
20210103_192013.jpg

I wanted a 2011 in 45 acp for quite a while...so I bought a CK arms frame and built one. Fusion NM Slide and a Kart national match Nowlin cut barrel. I love mine even though now it's considered "oldschool".

Attachments

• 2011.jpg
    2011.jpg
    1,004 KB · Views: 336
  • Love
I have been a "1911 guy" for 25 years or so. I carry a Staccato P as my duty gun. I trust it that much. It's more accurate than I can shoot it, but itakes me look good. Over 2k rounds through it and the only malfunctions have been self induced. If u are looking for a concealed carry gun, go look at a Staccato C2 before youake any decisions.

Ended up pulling the trigger on a Bul Armory SAS II Ultralight that I got a good deal on locally. I looked at the Staccato's and almost went that route but a guy had this one new in box with a modular trigger, longer grip module to accept the 19rd mags and it was too good to pass up.

Attachments

• 20220316_160359.jpg
    20220316_160359.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 425
  • 20220316_160414.jpg
    20220316_160414.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 95
Need some help advice on a 1911/2011 I have been out of this game for a while prob 7yrs+ sold all my steel frame pistols and I'm thinking of getting a nicer 1911/2011. I'm looking for something in the 3.25" - 5" Barrel range, double stack 45acp or 9mm, and I have been looking at either the Wilson Combat SFX9, Wilson Combat EDC X9, or the BUL Armory SAS II Tac. If you guys were to buy a nicer 1911/2011 and needed to stay under $3K what would you buy and why...?
I've been carrying an EDC X9 since it was released, so obviously I'd recommend it.

The MPA DS9 can be had for just under $3k. Seems to be a very nice pistol, but I've never shot mine. (It may even be listed for sale here.)

If you want a "nice" 1911... I second Alchemy Custom Weaponry based on reputation and pics as I've never owned one. If I was to get a nice 1911 in that price range, that would be it.

People I know that have Les Baer seems to absolutely love them, even over their nicer finished guns like Guncrafter, Wilson, etc. I had a PII that was accurate and solidly built in every way. Seemed more like a tool steel workhorse tool than a fine Swiss watch.

Surprised noone suggested Ed Brown. What's the story there?
They make really good shooting guns. More like Wilson in that they have moved away from hand fitting them, but even more so. I don't think it has hurt the results at all. When Justin was there, customer service was fantastic, but I haven't dealt with them, other than to get a part or two, for a few years. In all honesty, they have not made themselves part of forum culture the way others have, and that has not helped their business with forum type people. On the other hand, Alchemy was pretty much born on the internet forums, and knows what it is doing there, and Wilson seems to have full time people for that job.

Surprised noone suggested Ed Brown. What's the story there?
I think Ed is old and grumpy and no one really stepped up to take over. It also sounded like Ed was a real PIA to work for. Especially when you look into their CS stories. In the early 2010s they seemed to be trying to correct that, but never really completed the mission. Add in that a Dan Wesson is extremely similar and half the cost with twice the CS and you put yourself out of business. Or at least diminish what you once had. I assume the actual EB buyers moved to Wilson, etc.

Other than that Wesson used to use a lot of Brown parts, and they are both 1911s, I don't know there is anything notably similar about them. Certainly a lot of the important finishing on Brown is about 1000x better. Wessons are fine guns, but every one I have needed a good bit of TLC to be up to snuff, and then needed to be refinished.

Other than that Wesson used to use a lot of Brown parts, and they are both 1911s, I don't know there is anything notably similar about them. Certainly a lot of the important finishing on Brown is about 1000x better. Wessons are fine guns, but every one I have needed a good bit of TLC to be up to snuff, and then needed to be refinished.
Bought a EB. Sold it. My DW was as good. So, I disagree.

Reactions: st1650 and mrtoyz
Bought a EB. Sold it. My DW was as good. So, I disagree.
I've been inside dozens of each, and they are not similar guns, especially when you move away from 45. So you might prefer one or the other, but you are wrong in the idea that they are similar.

I've been inside dozens of each, and they are not similar guns, especially when you move away from 45. So you might prefer one or the other, but you are wrong in the idea that they are similar.
We get it. You own a bunch of EBs. (y)

• Haha