• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1911 ace 22lr (price or history?)

tobedell

Glorified observer
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2010
Clark,Co.
I recently taught a CHP course where a student brought a Colt 1911 ACE 22LR SN#1861
The pistol was purchased by his father sometime around 1940 and was 80-90%
I completely disassembled the gun except for the slide, it had a rounded key below the firing pin that restricted the slide plate removal. It appeared to not have been cleaned since it was purchased.
Does anyone have info in regards to its heritage or current value?
Thank you

Pics would be needed but if all original and in the shape you say the old Ace's can bring some pretty nice $$. Seen them go $2K+ fairly often.

The pistol would have been made in the early 30's. Condition is very important as far as value goes. Things that would hurt it are re finish or changed parts. The original "two tone" mags with the polished 1/3 at the feed lips are also in demand and hard to find.
If finish is original and good, parts are original , it could bring well over 2K. BTW, I shot mine last weekend and it is very accurate. Out shot my pre war Colt Match Target Woodsman at 50 yards.

The finish is original (90%) and the magazine is exactly as described, the rear sights are adjustable. The owner's father was a little to old for WWII but bought it and passed it down to his son (73 now) it has great sentimental value to him.
Thanks for everyone's info, I will get pics for the hell of it and post.

About a dozen years ago I had the chance to buy one LNIB for $2K from a buddy. I deeply regret passing on that to this day.