• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1911 Colt by Jim Clark Sr.

T2CH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2010
Va, USA
I found a late '50s colt 1911 government model by Jim Clark Sr. local. The pistol has the back strap and front strap markings but does not have the engraving on the slide as I see most of them do. I have found several pictures of the '50's models that do not have the engraving but they are just pictures.
The guy working at the store says it is on consignment and the price is $950.00 firm. The owner just wants to get rid of it, so he says. Pistol is in excellent condition with no surface rust the blueing is in good shape with a little dulling on the top of the slide.

What do you think? Good price? not the real deal? Anything?

Re: 1911 Colt by Jim Clark Sr.

Take a look at their website.

Also, the extent of Mr. Clark's work on it is anyone's guess. Maybe the shop could help?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I found a late '50s colt 1911 government model by Jim Clark Sr. local. The pistol has the back strap and front strap markings but does not have the engraving on the slide as I see most of them do. I have found several pictures of the '50's models that do not have the engraving but they are just pictures.
The guy working at the store says it is on consignment and the price is $950.00 firm. The owner just wants to get rid of it, so he says. Pistol is in excellent condition with no surface rust the blueing is in good shape with a little dulling on the top of the slide.

What do you think? Good price? not the real deal? Anything? </div></div>

Early guns were stamped on the disconnector rail on the underside of the slide. It should have "Clark Custom, Shreveport". You should also find the last three of the serial number along with the month and year of the conversion stamped there as well.

A picture would help. There are a lot of questions that would need to be answered to determine a value.

Thanks for the insight, I will pull the gun apart to see if any such markings exist. I did find the value in the BB for a late 50's government to be between $850 and $1k depending on condition.
If I can I will also write the serial number down and call the Clark shop to see if there are any records of it and what was done if the records exist.
Thanks again

Original records won't go back that far, but if it was sent in for a tune-up they will most likely have a record of that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bob Chow used to stamp his slides in the same location</div></div> S

So what?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bob Chow used to stamp his slides in the same location</div></div> S

So what? </div></div>
So maybe you don't have to be such an ass. The guy made a statement. Certainly nothing to rate a smartassed comment.

There is an old saying that says without verifiable documentation, you buy the gun, not the story.

Best of luck. Hope it is a shooter.

Cheers!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gpo1956</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So what? </div></div>
So maybe you don't have to be such an ass. The guy made a statement. Certainly nothing to rate a smartassed comment. </div></div>
Very true on that statement! The way I read it, it came across as a heads up that just because its stamped there it doesn't mean its a clark gun. Although I wouldn't sneeze at a chow gun either...