• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 1911 Commander Bushing or no

SporterII

Minuteman
Nov 23, 2006
Central Fl. USA
As in 4” bill barrel, vs. 4.25” bushing with standard spring Government guide rod.
What does this really mean for a 9mm single stack Commander sized 1911. Carry and some training/games.
I had a Dan Wesson Vigil that was reliable and easy to hit with.

A "bull barrel" will place a tad more weight up front. The potential advantage is a little less muzzle flip. Good pistolsmiths aren't going to necessarily make one design more accurate than the other, and you'd be hard pressed to see a difference in overall group sizes between the two on the proof targets from the semi-custom manufacturers (WC/Nighthawk etc...).

Reactions: Balor
The 1911 Commander size is the 4.25" barrel. I really like the heavy "cone barrel" WC employs in both their full / commander size. I have their Compact Carry in 9mm, 4" with the bull barrel. Both are bushing-less, and do add a nominal front end weight, neither which will not correct poor shooting form any more than heavier tungsten guide rods.
Wilson Combat 1911 with Coffee Photos 2020IMG_7205 copy.jpg
IMG_7643WILSON COMBAT COMPACT CARRY 9 MM 06.30.23A.jpg
IMG_7645WILSON COMBAT COMPACT CARRY 9 MM 06.30.23A.jpg

Seriously, the Hi Power fixed the 1911 issues, is double stack and sized for the 9mm ctg.

This Belgium 9 mm Hi-Power still retains its magazine dis-connector mechanism is often complained about cause of a ratchity trigger feel unless all the parts are smoothed over. Many have just removed the mechanism. The wooden grips are handsome but way to slippery for my hands.

Browning Hi-Power 9 mm with Coffee Photos 2020IMG_7215 copy 2.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-07-01 at 8.11.45 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-01 at 8.13.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-01 at 8.24.35 AM.png

Last edited:
It doesnt really matter if its a bushing or bull. What does matter is who builds it and if that 1/4" makes you shoot better or worse one way or the other

Reactions: RTH1800
Reactions: Lightning8
People seriously think that is better than a 1911?
Sure.
"Better" is contingent on many factors, but I have a bunch of each, some bog standard, some worked over, but I'll pick the BHP over 1911 nearly every time.
Is the trigger as good ? No, but that's only one consideration.
IMG_0530.JPG

I bought a Wilson lightweight Carry, to, er, carry, but I end up carrying the BHP.
( also have many more modern guns, but still almost always end up with the Browning.)

IMG_0531.JPG

• Love
Reactions: Modoc
For a 9mm in a 1911 platform, do yourself a favor and run the Metalform 9mm magazines. They space the cartridges to the back of the magazine in order to be able to contruct a helper feed ramp at the top front of the magazine tube. These magazines have been the only ones to ever feed hollow points from a full mag reliably in any 9mm 1911 I ever had. The only drawback with these mags is they only hold 9 rounds, but reliability is more important to me.

As far as a 4.25 bushing or 4" bull barrel, they both shoot good. A 4.25 bushing build will enable you to play with off the shelf recoil spring weights a lot more than some of the proprietary bull barrel recoil system builds.

Reactions: SporterII