• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 1911 Frame Question

truthrjx

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2021
USA
Hey all,
I don't know how popular the forged Aluminum or Scandium framed 1911's are with you guys, but I don't think I'd mind a bit to carry one. I've never owned or shot one, so I am NOT speaking from knowledge. I would like to hear what you all think of them though. I've seen hardcore 1911 guys that own dozens of 'em that absolutely despise anything other than steel frames, no matter the size of the frame and slide. Other though, really like 'em. I'm just curious cause I saw one of the models I have thought about hoping to get one day, the Kimber CDP Compact. I think it's one beautiful 1911, but not a true CCO-sized cause the barrel is only 4 inches instead of 4 1/4 inches. There are 2 others that I really like too, the Springfield EMP Conceal Carry Contour in 9mm and the S&W Model 1911SC E-Series in 45acp.

Attachments

• article-print-free-9mm-ccc-emp-1.jpg
    article-print-free-9mm-ccc-emp-1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 44
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 950835070.jpg
    950835070.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 40
I had a commander with an aluminum frame in the 80's that cracked after 10k+ rounds, I'd stay away from older alloy guns, and not go +p or 10mm. Steel frames crack too, but to be fair it is hard to find anyone who has had one crack and the metals are a lot better today.

But for a carry gun, they are a little lighter.

To me though, alloy frames do not shoot as well, don't know if the weight or balance is off. Maybe just in my head, but I think the steel frames are easier to shoot rapidly.

Last edited:
Reactions: truthrjx
My EDC is a Springfield Range Officer Compact in 9mm. I've done a shit ton of stuff to it (Ambi thumb safety, lighten slide, ported barrel, installed RMR). I have a little over 13K rounds of reloads down the tube. No issues. I like it.
Sounds cool.

I had a commander with an aluminum frame in the 80's that cracked after 10k+ rounds, I'd stay away from older alloy guns, and not go +p or 10mm. Steel frames crack too, but to be fair it is hard to find anyone who has had one crack and the metals are a lot better today.

But for a carry gun, they are a little lighter.

To me though, they do not shoot the same, don't know if the weight or balance is off. Maybe just in my head, but I think the steel frames are easier to shoot rapidly.
Do you mean you prefer to shoot the Aluminium frame compared to the steel frame?. Most 1911 enthusiasts prefer the steel frame.

The steel followers in some magazines can slip forward and chew up an aluminum feedramp - just an additional thing to be aware of.

if you decide on a lw frame your a fool if you dont get one with a supported chamber i have one a les b lw with supported chamber sold my nastoff colt its the only way to go with a lw frame.

I'm pretty much a long time, hard core 1911 guy. If you live in an area where temperatures can reach 3 figures, it makes sense to have a lightweight, compact frame 1911 option. I don't mind them at all. Having said that, when I don't have to go absolutely bare minimum in clothing, I still prefer to carry a full sized gun. I'm perfectly fine with a steel framed 1911.