• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 1911 Front sight staking options

jacq220

Sergeant
Minuteman
Which method do the gunsmiths on here prefer.

brownells front sight staker (cheapest, but seems to be a PITA)

p_080817000_1.jpg

Strobel (no experience but looks promising for the price)

172968.jpg

Trijicon tool. (expensive and in my experience just as time consuming as any other method)

p_892101103_1.jpg

Re: 1911 Front sight staking options

We cut the tennon down, tack weld it, and and dremel the spot smooth again. Never had an issue.

The "old style" tool does all that you need. I have never seen one of my staked-in sights come loose. The secret is grinding a suitable "countersink" on the underside of the slide, so that you can fill it with all or nearly all of the front sight tang material. This makes a strong, durable rivet joint which will withstand recoil.

Cheers... Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Just Jim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The "old style" tool does all that you need. I have never seen one of my staked-in sights come loose. The secret is grinding a suitable "countersink" on the underside of the slide, so that you can fill it with all or nearly all of the front sight tang material. This makes a strong, durable rivet joint which will withstand recoil.

Cheers... Jim </div></div>

I have had issues with trying to hold the work w/ some of the fiber optic sights. the material is so thin and its not like you are just lightly tapping hammer on the bottom of it. If i had a second set of hands in my shop at all times it woudnt be an issue, but customers these days dont like to wait, and i dont like them to watch if there is ANY room for error.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenda</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We cut the tennon down, tack weld it, and and dremel the spot smooth again. Never had an issue. </div></div>

I have never heard of doing it like this. what are you using for the weld? also, have you ever had any issue if the welded sight needs to be removed? a bit more info on this would be greatly appreciated.

JACQ-

Hmm, don't think I ever had to stake one of the fiber optic type, although I cut a lot of dovetails for those. If I had to do it, I might look at milling out a slip fit block to place over the front sight. Just something to better control where force will be placed on the part, and to avoid marking it up.

I was never fond of letting anyone watch me work. Doing little things at the front counter, well sure. But anything where an error was going to cost me money, I didn't want any distractions.

I remember one of the old gunsmithing texts warned to do even small adjustments out of sight of the customer, as he might not be willing to pay for "that little bit of work."

Cheers... Jim

I used to do a lot of work (door locks, windows etc..) in front of customers. Had several ask me over the years if it made me nervous having them watch. My reply
was always the same, "why do have any idea what I am doing right or wrong?" Don't
let them scare you, you are the pro and they wouldn't be paying you if they could do
it themselves.