• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 1911 in .357 Sig or 9x23 Win.?

Re: 1911 in .357 Sig or 9x23 Win.?

My shooting partner has several different 9x23s and he is rarely without at least one. At least one is a single stack, a couple are on Caspian frames, and I've seen him put quite a few rounds downrange over the years without issue and with amazingly flat trajectory for a bloody pistol. If you ave spe ific questions pm or email me and I'll pass on his contact info if he is amenable.
Best,
James

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bamf911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spent a couple of days looking into a 1911 in sig 357. It appears that the concept has been thought of but not much more. Some custom shops make them to order. Here is a example of a Nighthawk in sig 357

http://www.gunsamerica.com/923918809/Gun...Auto_Pistol.htm </div></div>

Interesting. I thought I'd heard that .357 Sig doesn't feed so well in the 1911 because of it's stubby shape, but I haven't been able to confirm that. Obviously the 357 ammo selection is better than the 9x23 ammo selection. Was hoping for someone that had some personal experience.

How fast you wanting to push bullets in a 9x23? You might be suprised how fast you can push a 9x19 in a supported chamber 9mm,
1400 fps with a 125 jhp not a problem in a supported chamber with the right powders.

If you want .357SIG type ballistics...what's wrong with .38 Super?

It's significantly easier to find magazines for a .38 Super, and they tend to run much better than 9mm/.40S&W/.357SIG length cartridges.

@ Hummerdawg

I know some of the +P+ 9x19 stuff gets fairly hot but I have yet to see a factory load break over about 1300 unless it was from a Glock 34. Ideally, I'm thinking a 125gr moving at right around 1450. I'm guessing a 5" barrel would just about be required, though if possible, a 4.25" would be great. Handloading, I know, is a different game however, it would be nice to have at least 1 factory load that would get near the target the target of 1450fps, mostly for concealed carry applications. I glanced over the specs on .38 Super and didn't see much to gain there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want .357SIG type ballistics...what's wrong with .38 Super?

It's significantly easier to find magazines for a .38 Super, and they tend to run much better than 9mm/.40S&W/.357SIG length cartridges. </div></div>

Actually after .357 Mag ballistics (which the .357 Sig doesn't quite reach, but it's close). The 9x23 actually uses .38 Super mags but has a stronger case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@ Hummerdawg

I know some of the +P+ 9x19 stuff gets fairly hot but I have yet to see a factory load break over about 1300 unless it was from a Glock 34. Ideally, I'm thinking a 125gr moving at right around 1450. I'm guessing a 5" barrel would just about be required, though if possible, a 4.25" would be great. Handloading, I know, is a different game however, it would be nice to have at least 1 factory load that would get near the target the target of 1450fps, mostly for concealed carry applications. I glanced over the specs on .38 Super and didn't see much to gain there. </div></div>

You will see 124s @ 1400+ FPS at any major match you ever attend. Sometimes out of a shorty, other times out of a 5".

It can be done, and is done regularly with lots of slow powder.

James and I know the same fellow infected with this 9x23 bug...

Well rumor is 357 SIG is more difficult to get to feed in the 1911...I haven't tried it, and don't really plan to. I do know of a smith who has, said nothing too major to make it work, but took a little extra tweeking.
Mean while....9x23 runs perfectly in a 1911, from most available quality 38 Super mags. 9x23 would be hard to beat in the desired platform, and for the desired balistics. Great caliber in what might be the strongest brass ever developed. Can't hardly wear the stuff out, and you can use an un-ramped barrel safely.

I'll be building 4.25" and a 5" for myself after I finish James shooting partner's newest one. Not sure how many he has but 6 or more in 9x23 would not supprise me.

FYI-
Pretty sure Chuck Warner bult the first 9x23s...still building guns, good guy to ask if you have any questions.
http://www.warnerpistols.com/index.html

Let me know if I can be of any help..happy to do so.

Best
Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You will see 124s @ 1400+ FPS at any major match you ever attend. Sometimes out of a shorty, other times out of a 5".

It can be done, and is done regularly with lots of slow powder. </div></div>

That's a new one on me DZ. Unfortunately, I'm also looking at using it as a concealed carry and the hottest 9mm I can find so far is Gold Dot +P+. That's where the major hangup is.

For just concealed carry and shut em down power why not go with the 10mm or 45 auto? Hell if you want 357 power with ultimate reliability I can sell you a nice 7 shot 686...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want .357SIG type ballistics...what's wrong with .38 Super?

It's significantly easier to find magazines for a .38 Super, and they tend to run much better than 9mm/.40S&W/.357SIG length cartridges. </div></div>

.38 super is rimmed, try to get one to feed from a double stack magazine...

Not an easy thing to do.

I would go 9x21 or 9x23 if I was looking to push it, I've seen lots try with the .357 sig and not too many succeed.

but if you are going there, screw .357 magnum ballistics, and go for a .41 magnum ballistics with a 10mm, alot easier to do. You can even get 1911's from the factory in 10mm.
grin.gif

I've clocked factory Winchester 9x23 125gr JSP's out of a 1911 at an average of 1450fps. Why dick around with trying to pump up a 9mm when the 9x23 hits those velocities without trying.

Because I shoot thousands of rounds per year and 9mm brass is helluva lot cheaper and easier to find than 9x23.
The 1400 fps loads are handloads and are achieved out of a 4.25"
barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want .357SIG type ballistics...what's wrong with .38 Super?

Not an easy thing to do.

I would go 9x21 or 9x23 if I was looking to push it, I've seen lots try with the .357 sig and not too many succeed.

but if you are going there, screw .357 magnum ballistics, and go for a .41 magnum ballistics with a 10mm, alot easier to do. You can even get 1911's from the factory in 10mm.
grin.gif
</div></div>

I miss my Delta Elite 10mm but, I've had this urge to explore other options. And I know 10mm would be a bad idea in a lightweight Commander type gun, hell 9x23 may even be a bad idea in that platform. This is what's bringing me around to researching it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummerdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because I shoot thousands of rounds per year and 9mm brass is helluva lot cheaper and easier to find than 9x23.
The 1400 fps loads are handloads and are achieved out of a 4.25"
barrel.</div></div>

This probably wouldn't be my first choice in a competition load, at that point I'd probably just use a 9mm in ESP for IDPA or .45 ACP in CDP. This is strictly exploratory for me at this point. Though, as I understand it, 9x23 brass has a near infinite life span.

Every time you secure and equip a 1911 in .38 Super, a Mexican drug king cries like a baby.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want .357SIG type ballistics...what's wrong with .38 Super?

Not an easy thing to do.

grin.gif
</div></div>

1911 and double stack don't go together very well.

If you want an STI, that's another story...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want .357SIG type ballistics...what's wrong with .38 Super?

Every time you secure and equip a 1911 in .38 Super, a Mexican drug king cries like a baby. </div></div>

Shoot everytime I try to add a super to the collection most of what I come accross from Colt is these damn supers that are "special" editions or whatever. Usually involve something polished and something gold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want .357SIG type ballistics...what's wrong with .38 Super?

Every time you secure and equip a 1911 in .38 Super, a Mexican drug king cries like a baby. </div></div>

Shoot everytime I try to add a super to the collection most of what I come accross from Colt is these damn supers that are "special" editions or whatever. Usually involve something polished and something gold. </div></div>

Lol forgot to mention that the .38 Super tends to be popular with the hispanic population.
laugh.gif
This is due to the fact that in Mexico and, I believe, a few of the south and latin american nations, civilians are prohibited from owning anything that's ever been a military issue cartridge. So .38 Super tends to be the go to cartridge. You'll find most of those special additions are also done in conjunction with the distributor Lew Horton.

[/quote]

Not an easy thing to do. [/quote]

you can get rimless cases called 38super comp brass , if you reload for the super
that is when it true potential come's thru

I dont know any thing about 9x23 I do know a bit about the sig don't own one any more but I do own a 38super

have a look at the super you may just find what you are looking for

as far as double stack 1911's go well it is just not right
if you cant sort it out with 9 rounds of 38super you probably shouldn't be there

oh yes and one last thing 1911's rock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

1911 and double stack don't go together very well.

If you want an STI, that's another story... </div></div>
I'm in complete agreement with you bud, STI's are all I'm talking about =]

n8349911_37118767_1555.jpg

I don't know why everyone is obsessed with caliber in pistols.

9x19 will do anything you need it to in a pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know why everyone is obsessed with caliber in pistols.

9x19 will do anything you need it to in a pistol. </div></div>

I have just heard to many times of the 9x19 not stoping ppl let alone an animal
if I ever need to shoot one

but yes you are right I cant explain it I know there is more than 38super and 45acp but they are just the chambering's I like

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">except make major power in competition </div></div>

it can be loaded high enough to but only in open class. Limited, Limited 10, and everything else require a .400 caliber bullet for major as well as power factor. For kicks one match I loaded 200 grain Semi Wadcutters in a .45 down to the lower end of minor/swapped my recoil spring and competed in either limited 10 or single stack (it was provisional at the time) running about 600 fps. Talk about some funny looks on peoples faces... huge holes as the round caused more damage in the cardboard targets instead of cutting them cleanly and little to no report. the only downside besides the points is that you gotta hit the pepper poppers dead on to put them down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know why everyone is obsessed with caliber in pistols.

if I ever need to shoot one </div></div>

I've heard of lots of rounds not stopping people, including .45ACP, 5.56mm, .308, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, etc.

Larger calibers can seldom make up for poor shot placement (short of being fired from the deck of a war ship.)

I do agree with you Jim , at the end of the day it comes down to what you are
comfortable with and for me it is 38super , 45acp well in the 1911 platform anyway .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know why everyone is obsessed with caliber in pistols.

if I ever need to shoot one </div></div>

I've heard of lots of rounds not stopping people, including .45ACP, 5.56mm, .308, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, etc.

Larger calibers can seldom make up for poor shot placement (short of being fired from the deck of a war ship.) </div></div>

You forgot 12ga. Lol

More often than not I think the 9x19 has gotton a bad rep because of not so good, under powered 115gr fmj's. loaded with a high quality 124gr or 147gr bullet it will do nearly everything the larger calibers will, you can carry more and recoil is more managable

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NY700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More often than not I think the 9x19 has gotton a bad rep because of not so good, under powered 115gr fmj's. loaded with a high quality 124gr or 147gr bullet it will do nearly everything the larger calibers will, you can carry more and recoil is more managable </div></div>

Actually, I think a lot of the bad rap had more to do with the 147gr hollow points that had a tendency to over-penetrate and go right through the people that LEOs were trying to stop. I'm speaking of the early 147gr stuff. If I understand correctly, it had been designed to be shot out of submachine guns that had longer barrels and thusly allowed higher velocities that were necessary for the proper expansion of the bullet. When loaded into a handgun, the bullets didn't have any way to build the necessary velocity that would ensure optimum performance.