• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 1911 issues

Natep

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2009
Central, MO
My cousin has a colt 70 series 1911 and some times when you pull the trigger you can hear and feel a small click, but nothing happens. You have to squeeze the trigger even harder before it may go bang. Sometimes the hammer wont drop all the way either. But if you push fwd on the slide before you pull the trigger it functions fine. It really doesnt feel like the slide moves much at all either. Took the gun apart and its clean, and all appears to be fine. Any ideas what i need to do to correct this issue? Thanks guys.

Re: 1911 issues

Here's 1 idea,

There is a recess in the slide that the disconnector gets pushed up into by the spring. If you take the slide off and look at it, it should be a partial circle cut into the bottom of the slide. If there is a burr, or it's rough, or just out of spec, the disconnector will not go up into position, thus not allowing the sear to release the hammer upon pulling the trigger. Easy enough to look at.

If you remove only the beaver tail and grips, you can check function visually. Try to see exactly what is hanging up.

The trigger seems to not be moving the sear completely out of the way. This would explain the hammer failing to fall all the way.

When a 1911 cycles, the disconnector is down by the underside of the slide to take it out of contact with the sear so that holding the trigger back will not prevent sear reengagement. The disconnector is pushed back up into sear contact by one of the leaves of the sear spring, but only once the slide has gone into battery.

Check the tension on the sear spring. I found this but have not used this process myself.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10297/guntechdetail/2___lb__Trigger_Pull

Also, does the pistol have an adjustable trigger stop? That cold also explain what you describe, if it were set to prevent the trigger going forward far enough.

Sounds like your disconnector is not coming up all the way.

It could be lack of tention on the center leaf of the sear spring, or the notch in the slide isn't timed with the barrel.

What has been changed or modified from original?

1+ on the disconector failing the spring that holds tension on it could be out of whack as well. it might not have enough pressure to push the disconector all the way up.

If the slide isn't going into battery (1) are you shooting reloads and (2) when
was the last time the recoil spring was changed? About 3 to 4000 rounds is the
limit for most of them.

I do not know any history on this weapon. Ill see if i can post some pics and see what you guys think. I believe that the slide may not be original to this gun though. Anyhow, i have a Sgi Revolution Carry that i will take the spring out of and see if that fixes the problem. Thanks for the replies guys!

All above posts have excellent suggestions.

Point of clarification:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NateP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Took the gun apart and its clean, and all appears to be fine. Any ideas what i need to do to correct this issue? Thanks guys. </div></div>

When you say "took the gun apart", was it a "field strip" or "detail strip". If it was a field strip, detail strip it, and soak everything in mineral spirits. Clean all parts and frame with toothbrush, and dry with compressed air. Reassemble.

Kevin