• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1911 & IWB Carry

Grumulkin

Sergeant
Minuteman
I'm considering getting a 1911 and was wondering if someone could tell me how comfortable one with a 5 inch barrel would be in an IWB holster. My sole experience with an IWB holster was with a revolver and that wasn't comfortable at all but I'm thinking a 1911 being thinner would be different.

Re: 1911 & IWB Carry

Don't forget love handles.

The slim design of the 1911 frame lends itself well to concealed carry. I have never noticed a difference carrying and Commander or full size. My primary carry is a CCO style 1911 with a Commander length slide and Officer's size frame.

Holster cant, presence or absence of a sweat guard, height over belt, and placement position are other factors. Unfortunately, you may go through a few holsters and spots on your belt until you find something that works well for you.

Milt Sparks Versamax II and a good belt. I have a Galco belt and the VMII for my 4" 1911 and it rides great.

You will definitely need to see what fits you and what your preferences are, but my current set up is the best I have found.

I don't find much difference between carrying my full size or commander. The key is a good belt and holster. Milt Sparks Versa Max II holsters are very comfortable.

I carry an EMP due to weight. other than the weight, the 1911 carries well.

I am 6'0 165lbs. I carry a 5 inch 1911 in a crossbreed supertuck with a Wilderness 5 stitch belt. Holster worn at the 3 oclock position. At first it really worked on my boney ass hip until I developed this large scab/rhino hide where the holster rides. Thats my everyday carry setup and I have no near future plans of changing.

If you are a slim build, IWB is the only way to fully conceal a full size 1911 under anything other than a heavy fleece or bulky jacket.

IWB is extremely comfortable. The 5" barrel isn't the problem; the pointy-cornered full-size frame is what prints.

If you don't have very big hands have a look at something with a commander length slide (4") with an officer-sized frame.

Get a Milt Sparks 1H, or Summer Special.

I hiked for about 6 hours a few months ago with my compact 1911 in a Comp-Tac Mtac holster, not a problem. I'm 5'10" bout 160.

I'd also consider a Mitch Rosen ARG is an IWB holster. I've been carrying a Wilson Sentinel (3.6" bbl) for 2yrs with no worries.

As you can see, lots of pros and cons. I have read here before that finding the right CCW gear is like finding comfortable shoes. They are different for everyone. I have had good luck with a variety of leather / kydex holsters where the leather is against your skin and the kydex holds the gun. Crossbreed is a good holster as are the Comp-tac holsters. I just found one made of horse hide from this guy, I bought one for my Kimber Ultra Super Carry :

www.trymyholsters.com

They are cheap enough to give them a try. I went with the horse hide and it is more comfortable than my crossbreed that is cowhide.

My $.02

I have been running IWB holsters for better than 20 years. I prefer Milt Sparks. In my opinion they are the standard by which all others are judged and the most blatantly copied and ripped off.

As others have said, one must find their own way in terms of comfort.

This pic is of the first EX companion ever done for a Colt Officers ACP.

008-5.jpg

009-7.jpg

The side carried against my body has turned almost black from years of use. It is still as tight and functional as it was when I bought it 20+ years ago.

The gun it was built for:

016-3.jpg

Do not forget that buying a proper gunbelt is just as important as buying a quality holster.

001-13.jpg

016-4.jpg

015-5.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumulkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm considering getting a 1911 and was wondering if someone could tell me how comfortable one with a 5 inch barrel would be in an IWB holster. My sole experience with an IWB holster was with a revolver and that wasn't comfortable at all but I'm thinking a 1911 being thinner would be different. </div></div>I have noticed that the biggest pain in the butt with IWB carry is the thickness of the gun, not so much the length. Length seems to be more of an issue when I sit down. The 1911 is a fairly thin pistol, so it carry well for the most part.
smile.gif

The comp-tac and crossbreed both swallow a 5" 1911 very well and are all day comfortable with a quality belt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mackay Sagebrush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been running IWB holsters for better than 20 years. I prefer Milt Sparks. In my opinion they are the standard by which all others are judged and the most blatantly copied and ripped off.
</div></div>

Actually, technically, it isn't Milt's design but the late Bruce Nelson's design. Milt actually had permission from Bruce however.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mackay Sagebrush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A few other Sparks examples:

027-2.jpg

002-9.jpg
</div></div>

That makes me miss my old Kimber Classic Custom.

One thing I would add, is do NOT carry your 1911 with a round chambered with the hammer down. I heard first hand from the source, how he was walking through the door of a camper with a USGI 1911A1 in his waistband and shot himself in the thigh thusly when he caught the hammer on the door frame. And this guy is a well respected military arms writer and historian.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hStiglitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing I would add, is do NOT carry your 1911 with a round chambered with the hammer down. I heard first hand from the source, how he was walking through the door of a camper with a USGI 1911A1 in his waistband and shot himself in the thigh thusly when he caught the hammer on the door frame. And this guy is a well respected military arms writer and historian. </div></div>

Sometimes I wonder how much respect should be given to some of these guys...

Anyway, a 1911 in an IWB holster is one of the best set-ups possible, IMHO. You must, of course, have a quality belt and holster and actually wear your belt at your waist as opposed to lower, between the hips (or on them) and waist, as some folks do. If you have the right holster and belt and wear them right, you won't even notice the weight of a full-sized steel-frame 1911.

I use a crossbreed super tuck. And a good belt. What I like about the crossbreed is I can carry my full size, commander, or officers size 1911 in the same holster. Took about a week to break in bus since then it's been a great holster.