• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1911 Mags, what do you like?

Glock45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
south-central WI, USA
Hello All,

I guess I more specifically wanted to know how people like Tripp Research mags for 1911. I've been running with Wilson, Chip McCormick Star and Power Mag and a few Nighthawk mags. I've yet to try some Tripp mags.

Wilson with polymer follower are just SMOOTH - period! Chip mags work, but seem to fail on locking slide to the rear positively on a regular basis. Nighthawk mags are firearm specific finicky(with my guns atleast.) My Sig 1911 doesn't like the N-H mags. Eats up anything my Wilson mags feed it though.

I have two N-H pistols, and short of some old range mags(old OLD mags) all mags work well in the N-H pistols.

Are the Tripp mags equal to Wilson mags(which seems to be the unwritten standard for single stack 1911's?) Are the Tripp mags way better?

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: 1911 Mags, what do you like?

Haven't tried the Tripps but I use mostly Wilson 47D's in mine.
Was looking at checkmate the other day for some M1A mag's an noticed they have quite the variety of 1911 mags. So might look into giving them a try.

I prefer the Tripps, but the 47D and 47 have not faltered either. The Tripps base on the 8rd isn't 'small' so if you're trying to conceal, its something to consider. Beyond that I feel the Tripps are very well made, kinda 'German' feeling compared to the WC's.

Just an opin. try a few and go from there..

I'd like to try some of Dave Lauck's (DL Sport), just can't see spending double the price when the TR and WC always work.

No experience with Tripp's but I may have to give em a go. I've ran several hundred round through my 1911 using Wilson Combat mags and I'm yet to encounter a single feed issue

I only use Tripps now. The hybrid follower design is brilliant, and locks back 100%. I don't have any experience with their flush fit mags, but I carry a 5" 1911 with a magwell, and love the way a Tripp 8rd fits in the gun. I carry two 10rd mags for reloads.

Used to do some bowling pin/steel matches. Wanted a bunch of ten rounders so I bought some Ed Brown mags, top of the line and all that. Had two of them break, the little mag stop welded onto the front just sheared off. Went to Wilson's. A decade and several thousands of rounds later, still strong. For carry and just bang and clang I like chip mccormick, have some 8-rd shooting star mags and the 8-rd power mags which I prefer, they seem to load and feed better. Also have a double handful of 7-round military surplus mags and they work well too.

I'm sure there's a LOT of good mags out there, depends on what you want to do with them. Buy some, use them, buy more, you'll always want more.

I carry a 1911 every day and have for 30 years. I previously used Wilson mags and they are great mags. I changed over to Tripp mags a while back and those are my preference now.

Both are good magazines and you will be happy with either.

my 1911 is a 9mm. i will say that mec-gar's (9) rounders are the best in my gun. i've tried tripp, and wilsons. not one wilson ever worked without a hitch. i have 3 tripps that work fine and sent the rest back. my advice is buy 5 or more try them send back what dont work. i dont care what you polish tweak or bend. if its a problem when new they will suck later down the line after you tweak them. the only advantage i see with the tripps/wilson as they are easier the take apart and clean. the only problem i have with the cheaper mecgars is the bottom of the mag plates break off if you practice alot mag changes on hard floor. ive never cleaned them and they work 100% of the time.
arborpro

I like the Tripps better than all of them, even the Wilsons.

I do not recommend not ever cleaning your magazines.

McCormick Power + for me. No failures until I bent the spring in my 10-rounder trying to disassemble the mag. It still works most of the time, but I get FTF's from that mag from time to time.

I use Wilson's they are okay, every now and then they fail to lock the slide back on the last round. eh, they are better than McCormick. All my Chip Mags are worn out.

I do have a few Nighthawk mags and I noticed they are built differently. The black ones have a metal follower and the Silver ones have a plastic follower. Both run great... so far, It takes a while to really know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Haven't tried the Tripps but I use mostly Wilson 47D's in mine.
Was looking at checkmate the other day for some M1A mag's an noticed they have quite the variety of 1911 mags. So might look into giving them a try. </div></div>

I also use the wilson 47D's and they work great.

I started with Wilson 47D's but my LesBaer didn't operate with them reliably. Switched over to the Wilson ETM and have not had a problem yet. This pistol gets shot very often so it's got a very high round count through it and not a single magazine related problem. Highly recommend the ETM but I did get some Tripp mags in the recent group buy. Have yet to use them yet but have only heard good things about them.

Tripp Cobra mags are my favorite. They are VERY well made. I'll only buy the Tripp 1911 mags in the future.

Have used many different ones.The Wilson's are the best so far not a single issue.Never tried the Tripp ones

CMC or Ed Brown's mags, I had some Wilson's and the slide would never lock to the rear after firing the last round out of my Ed Brown.

47D's worked fine until the spring settled and wouldnt lock the slide back.

Switched to Tripp's and never had an issue.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!! Seems like Wilson's are the more advertised and commonplace mags, but if someone knows about Tripp mags, then they're turned onto those too! I'll have to place an order for some.

Thanks again for the valuable input!

-G45

I use CMC power mags, 8 rounders. No issues after 1300 rounds. Had to send my S.A. loaded in for fte problem. I sent all 6 mags with the gun, and will wait and see if Springfield recommends or finds anything wrong with the mags, if any. Now remember my baby is a Springer, some mags might favor certain makes.

Tripps for me, tried Wilson's didn't like them. Now using Tripps and not an issue, rebuilt the Wilson's with Tripp followers and springs and they got better. Steven

I have a couple of Wilsons and a couple of McCormicks. I like the Wilsons better. The Tripps sound interesting. I may have to give them a try.

I have used 7 and 8 round mags both, in my Combat Commander, Government(s), and S/A TRP Operator. I swear all of my pistols run best on Chip Mc's or Wilson Combat (any flavor). Running 47D's, right at this moment. Once I get a combanation that works, I keep that combination. Have not found a 1911 that will not run faithfully on one of these two mags. Cant say enough great things about the followers and springs as well as over-all body strength. I have an "old" fav that I bought used at a gun show (shooting star; Chip that probably began life as a Colt factory mag.) Put a Wolff spring in it, ran stell wool over it, and viola'. a "new" $8.95 magazine.

I had a pistol that came with two Tripp mags, but it did not run 100%. Prior owner "tinkered" with the internal stuff. Once I had the pistol back to a stock configuration the Tripps began to work much better. Two magazines is by no way enough to judge a company on.

BOTTOM LINE: IMHO Wilsons and Chip's are very good mags for a decent price. Cheap, when you think of all the saved headaches. I love both mags and really like my Government that I can run an 8 round Power Mag in the well, one in the pipe, and two 10 rounders as back-up. I almost feel silly carrying 29 rounds of 230 grain Gold Dots. Above mentoned mags are great, tons of people will tell ya, Tripps are very good from what I've heard and decent from what I've seen. I just like my two favs at a slightly lower price (might not be anymore).

I used McCormicks until I recently purchased a few Cobra mags from Tripp Research. I've had a few issues with the McCormicks feeding the rounds so I tired the Cobra mags. I havent had a single issue with the Cobras. I think I'll be sticking with Tripp from now on.

i have a couple ed browns that i use in my springfield... i don't really hate them, but they do offer ever so slight resistance when being inserted. i also have some nighthawk mags that i LOVE!!!! i will probably only buy nighthawk mags from now on. there is not anything that i don't like about them, short of their inability to manifest 45 ACP ammo for me.

Use Wilson mags in my Wilson guns with no problems. Never tried to use mags in different guns. Always locks.

I run the wilsons in mine and no complaints so far!

Wilson 47Ds in my Wilson but the Baer likes the Chips. Had a Springer RO and it didn't like Wilson mags but liked any of the Chips. Even the cheap-o shooting stars.

I bought some Wilson mag after trying them out from a buddy. Love the fit and finish of the Wilson's over the CM mags.

If the Wilson's are working good, why change to Tripp?

I have been recommended Tripp mags for my Dan Wesson CCO numerous times, but my Wilson's keep plugging along.

They are supposed to be good mags though.

Never tried tripps, but cmc power+ is the only way to go. Tried kimber match and was worse than my factory mag. My kimber is now my back-up, to my back-ups, backup.... if that makes any sense

Wilson, McCormicks and Act in Nickel. Bang for your buck = McCormicks

Normal blued Act or NH mags many guns have issues with. The Act in Nickel seem to fix that problem most 1911's

Sin.

There is a great article here:
http://www.10-8performance.com/pages/1911-Magazines.html

This is why I use CMC Power Pluses. Hilton Yam is a very knowledgeable guy. If you read it in detail, he notes why some guns have issues with certain mags not causing the slide to lock back.

Looks like you can either switch mags or replace the slide stop.

I should also note that when I have magazine issues, it is usually with a 10-rounder that I screwed the spring up on, and yes, nose-diving on the first round is the typical malfunction. So the article holds true to my experiences.

I like CMC mags. I like Tripp's too but sold those and have consolidated on CMC mags. I have a few Wilson's that came with a couple custom guns I have. Wilson's have springs that do seam to wear out faster than the CMCs. The Wilson ETM I am told by my gunsmith present the round too high, so I haven't tried those.

After working for Mr Tripp as a hardchromer back in college and knowing how nit pickky he is and how he seems to be an all knowing 1911 genius. I Shoot his first gen mags and have never had a problem

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the feedback everyone!! Seems like Wilson's are the more advertised and commonplace mags, but if someone knows about Tripp mags, then they're turned onto those too! I'll have to place an order for some.

Thanks again for the valuable input!

-G45 </div></div>

My Wilson mag was traded for a kimprotac mag, and that spring traded for a tripp research spring. Will only buy tripp from now on. Just don't care much for the plastic Wilson follower, was getting chewed up too much from rubbing the mag walls. Didn't trust it, or the thin walls of the mag. Tripps are built like a tank, the craftsmanship is evident.

I like cmc power mags, but not on aluminum frame guns, the followers can gouge the frame. They may have fixed that in the last year or so, can't remember.

I use Wilson mags in my SA LW Operator. It runs like a well-oiled machine.

I've only used Les Baer and never had a problem with them and will probably continue to use them unless they become unreliable.

i have used Tripp prototypes, 1st gen and 2nd gen. i also use Chip McCormick power mags. all of the above in 10 rd. versions.
Tripps are light years ahead when it comes to disassembly and cleaning. all run great. i had some Wilson 8rds mags, that wouldn't drop free from my Les Baer pistol. they ran great, just wouldn't drop free. I shoot Heavy Metal (or He-Man) in 3 gun competition. I always start with Tripps and if the stage is long do my extra re-loads with McCormicks.