• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 1911 Safety stuck

308Gunner

Full Bird Private
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2013
    W TEXAS
    A friend brought me a 1911 that he took apart and tried to put back together, the safety is stuck in the up position I have tried to remove it but to no avail. I called him and asked him what if anything he had done and he said when he was putting it back together everthing went good UNTIL he push the safety up and now it will not go down and it will not come out the hammer is cocked and the grip safety is ingage, when I try to work the safety up and down the hammer moves slightly. I have run out of things to do other than pry on the safety anyone run into a problem like this before.

Just wondering is anything going on with the detent plunger. Might be hitting the safety at a place that will not let it drop.

Pics would be great

Don't pry on the Thumb Safety (yet). Try removing the mainspring housing. You will have to hang on because the mainspring is compressed. Take the grips off too. Try to take the Sear Spring out, and the Sear/Disconnector. This should leave you with the Hammer, Grip Safety, and Thumb Safety. Hopefully you'll be able to see what's going on.

Sounds like the detent. Or maybe he lost the detent and the spring has it hung up

Ditto on removing the mainspring housing first, simple punch. That should relieve some tension and allow you to remove the safety and see what's going on

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Take a tiny screw driver and push the detent plunger back in as you push the safety back down. Never pry. You will ruin the inside of your frame where the safety lip rides.

He had removed the mainspring the only thing on the pistol is the grip safety, hammer and thumb safety I have tried pushing the detent back in and from what I can see it looks like he has it toghether correctly but the safety will not come out. There are some marks on the frame I am wondereing if he has tried to pry it out and has bent the pin on the safety.

Fixed he didn't fit the safety he just bought a thumb safety and stuck it in.

No I called him and started asking him questions and that is when he said he bought it and stuck it in he said he had to push it pretty hard to get it in. When I finally got it out I had to clean up the sear that had a pretty good burr on it. Put it all back together after fitting thumb safety and it runs fine, this turned into an expensive lesson for him but maybe he learned his lesson.

Thanks for the additional info. I consider myself a recovering 1911-addict and I like to understand as much about this design as I can. This is another possible problem to know about.