• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

judgedelta

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2010
Mississippi
Being a lefty and kinda interested in a 1911, I see that most do not have an ambi safety. Is this a simple add-on, or do these manufacturers not care about the 15% of the population that is left handed? Thanks...

Well, the original 1911 didn't have an ambi safety. So, your basic 1911 will not have an ambi safety. Even some of the high end models don't have one for various other reasons.

You could have an ambi safety installed on one

I am a lefty too and the 1911 is my primary pistol. You can have an ambi installed. Quality varies and, depending on how you grip a 1911, you may want to look to a Wilson Bullet Proof or Caspian model. I (like others) have a tendency to ride the ambi-side safety with my right thumb. This can lead to the ambi-side safety lossening on some designs. The Wilson and Caspian designs are supposed to help eliminate that. Some ambi's have wider ambi-side paddles than others. I like the narrower designs for range and carry. For competition, I like a wider paddle so it is easer to reengge the safety when moving.

The ambidextrous safety is simple to install on the 1911. Don't let that simple issue steer you away from this tremendous pistol.

The original AMBI on a 1911 is a very weak design. It's essentially a tongue and grove system. I believe the new Wilson version is actually screwed together. But I might be wrong on that since I'm right handed.

The downside is you would need to unscrew the system for a detail strip. But...that's minor.

TTR

It has to be fitted though... Installing it is easy, but it needs to be filed to fit 90% of the time. I have built 4 1911's now and I had to fit all of my thumb safeties. To have one installed by a gunsmith is simple and easy though.

I would say, if you like the feel of a 1911 get it and have the ambi-safety installed.

Or just buy a nice one with ambi like a TRP, MC operator or new Colt rail gun. All reasonable priced quality 1911's with ambi

1911 is perfect for lefties. One of the biggest design flaws of the 1911 is that the mag release is on the left hand side. It is so much easier to manipulate the release with your trigger finger or middle finger than having to loosen your grip to depress the button with your thumb. Adding an ambi safety is pretty easy and they do work. I still prefer having the slide release on the left side, though. That is easy to manipulate with the support hand as a righty.

I am a lefty also. All of my 1911's have ambi safeties. There are many manufactures that offer these safeties and as others have already stated they will need to be fitted to your 1911. I have 4 Wilson Combat 1911's and all but 1 came with the ambi safeties installed. The last did not come with it installed, but I sent it back to WC for ambi and some other work to fit what I wanted in that 1911.
Check out Bullet Proof® Ambidextrous Thumb Safety | Tactical Levers-Wilson Combat
Its pricey but quality made out of bar stock and will not fail.
Ed Brown makes a good safety also: Ed Brown 1911 handguns, 1911 parts
Whatever you do, don't go cheap on a safety.

Im not a gunsmith and fit my own.

Did it in the period of disappointment when I realized my new safety actually needed to be fitted. I used my original safety as a guide and slowly honed, tested, honed again, tested until all worked well. There is a specific series of function checks to check your work. Make sure it works.

Usually such eagerness leads me to destroy good parts. This time it worked. Next time Ill let a smith do it.

PS - mine was not an ambi but Im guessing the fitting areas regards internal workings would be similar.

Last edited:
I believe the new Wilson version is actually screwed together.

Never seen one, but it would be easier to disassemble that the older designed still used by Wilson, Nighthawk, Baer...